Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

*STRANGE* USPS Mail Delivery Mystery!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Anchoret, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Anchoret

Anchoret Friend of Leo's

Can anyone with knowledge of the post office shed some light on this weirdness?

Sometime in mid-March, I noticed I wasn't getting any mail. Mail delivery had seemed a bit erratic for a long time, but I don't get much anyway. I did notice that I wasn't even getting the weekly pile of local grocery & retail ads. I think I got one small card and my outgoing mail was occasionally being picked up. I tried to catch the mailman as he went by, but he wasn't even normally stopping at my house.

After not getting any mail Saturday, I determined I was going to call the local post office on Monday (always an ordeal) and see if there was any explanation for this odd situation.

When I looked outside Monday afternoon, I found an immense bundle of my mail dating back at least as far as the first week of March including my bills, magazines, junk mail, etc., etc.

Any mail mavens have useful thoughts on this strange situation? Anything I should ask when I call up and they predictably play dumb? :confused:

2. djalt

djalt Tele-Holic

I think the mailman was sifting through your mail looking for your fretboard journal subscription.

I have at least two a year stolen by canada post. There's only four delivered a year.

Not very helpful, I just thought I'd chime in. :)

3. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity

He was accidentally delivering your mail to an unoccupied home and someone finally realized what was going on. I would head down to the post office and talk to the postmaster. However, because of the nature of the post employees, the postmaster will either cover for the mailman or the mailman will really begin screwing with you.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. pchilson

pchilson Friend of Leo's

Is Newman your mailman?

6. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

Pretty weird situation. All you can do is ask, but they may not be too forthcoming with information. I've got a slightly different situation: it took me a while to notice at first, but I stopped getting mail on Saturdays in the fall of 1996. I mean, I didn't always get mail on Saturdays before that, but it happened occasionally. Since then, not once, at any address in all those years. Monday to Friday delivery is as normal. I'm mystified.

7. Thorby Bislam

Thorby Bislam Tele-Afflicted

I'm guessing that Dan lives in a property with a long drive or is otherwise set back/apart from more easily accessed homes. The mailman may be shaving time off his delivery by bypassing some awkward properties. It's a saturday and he wants an early finish.

Another possibility is that Mon-Fri he has a regular mailman who knows every delivery point but Saturdays are being covered by a stand-in who is not as familiar with the area.

8. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Holic

I had a similar situation a few years ago, I would go a few days at a time...then get a bunch of mail. I mailed a letter from my job to myself (12 miles)...it took 11 days, so I knew something was up. Then I called the USPS, they put me through to some investigation department, a few weeks later my mailman disappeared. I guess the guy was up to no good.

9. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

10. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

pchilson has said what I came here to say.

11. cleanman

cleanman Tele-Holic

You never know. I had a carrier that would often leave me mail for another address. Finally had a chance to speak to the carrier about the wrong address, he looked me in the eye and without a moments thought told me "I don't know what I can do about it" I turned and walked away awed by his honesty.

12. sacizob

sacizob Friend of Leo's

I believe "Bones" has the correct answer.

13. tele-rain

tele-rain Friend of Leo's

I've had a similar situation too. I moved to my new location last August, did the change of address and changed all my necessary paperwork to my new address. Everything was fine for August and September, then suddenly the mail was non existent. I didn't think anything of it until I did not receive my October train pass, which set me in a tailspin because I now had to pay for my trip, buy a new pass till the issue was resolved and I could get a refund.

It took a few calls to the Post Office before it was straightened out. They told me there was a new person who wasn't familiar with the route and was mixing up the mail. But suddenly one day, my mailbox was jam packed with everything missing for the last few weeks. I was relieved but then thought, if it was just a case of the deliverer mixing up addresses, why didn't I get someone else's mail? And why did I receive it all in one big bundle, as if they somehow retrieved all the wrong mail from where it was delivered? It sounds more likely that it was sitting in a bin somewhere till they figured out where it was supposed to go.

14. CarterK

CarterK Tele-Meister

My father in law lived in a beach town that contracted out the mail delivery to the lowest bidder. He did not get any mail for a couple of months. Calls to the post office went nowhere. He finally went to see the postmaster. The next week, he got a giant bag of mail. It turns out the carrier was picking the mail up at the post office and taking it all home, never delivering it, but getting paid to do it. Never heard what happened to the carrier. Probably nothing.

15. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity

+1

16. Mjark

Mjark Poster Extraordinaire

The USPS is trying to dump people now. If your mail man isn't doing his job, they want to know about it.

17. creading

creading Tele-Holic

Sounds like someone inadvertently put a "hold" notice on your mail and when the carrier finally figured it out he/she delivered the entire amount. Unless you know your mail person it's unlikely you'll ever find out what actually happened. I would certainly ask and let them know that whatever it was shouldn't happen to your address again.

18. Anchoret

Anchoret Friend of Leo's

There is constant turnover on this route, including people who are here one day and never again.

A mail carrier online said that this was 99.99% sure a screwed-up vacation hold intended for some other address, because otherwise they will never hold mail this long before sending it back or throwing it out.

19. Hiker

Hiker Friend of Leo's

It was definitely Newman! Our deliveryman would not let that happen. :rolleyes:

20. TeleTim911

TeleTim911 Friend of Leo's

Good luck with getting anything done! I've filed complaints with USPS before, and if it involves one of their own they'll cover it up, and then move on like it never happened.

21. rolling56

rolling56 Friend of Leo's

No mail is good mail i always say ..........

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.