Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Stranderg Salen

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by notmyusualuserid, Jul 22, 2018.

1. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I like the idea of headless guitars--they solve the ergonomic problem of neck dive. That neck profile looks interesting, and i'd be interested to try the oddly fanned frets. I have a fanned fret five string bass and it's really a great innovation for a five string bass, where the difference in tension between the B string and everything else is so pronounced.

My first objection to that guitar is A: you can't hang it up, and B: You can't put it on a stand, and C: you can't lean it against something.

P Thought likes this.
  2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Strandberg could make a custom stand and hanger. I don't know if they do, but it would make sense to.

3. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    Hip bone connected to the

LEG BONE

leg bone connected to the

KNEE BONE

Join in everyone

Toto'sDad likes this.
  4. BigDaddyLH

More of a Hokey Poke man, I am.

5. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Tele-Afflicted

May 3, 2016
    In the South
    It makes me think of a Tele that's been spatchcocked. Spilt open and spread apart so that it sort of retains its original shape, but not quite :)

[​IMG]

srvbluezz likes this.
  6. BigDaddyLH

I'm not crazy about the two octave neck.

srvbluezz likes this.
  7. BigDaddyLH

Just a reminder that fan fretting is not new. Orpharion from 1617:

[​IMG]

scrapyardblue likes this.
  8. BigDaddyLH

Another unexpected fan-fretted guitar... D'you what guitarists are conservative? Gypsy jazz guys...

[​IMG]

9. Piggy Stu

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    We all know: written up on the wall in the tdpri toilets with your phone number

Save that story for the divorce court, and don't let anyone tell you it is wrong - St Peter can do that

10. BigDaddyLH

That'll be when I REALLY find out if that's what it's all about.

11. Piggy Stu

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    Hope you haven't been wearing clothes made of linen and wool whilst doing the hokey poke

I don't need to quote 19:19 do I?

12. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    I went to Sam Ash and Guitar Center this weekend while visiting my daughter's apartment. I saw a few of "those fan fretted guitars". I was tempted to pull one down and check it out, but I was more afraid of sounding like that guy who has only been playing guitar for 2 days. :eek:

I do wonder how they work; it just seems odd visually. Maybe they feel fine.

13. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I have a Dingwall 5 string. Great bass.

Fanning equalizes string tension. That's all it does. It doesn't improve intonation or anything else: it makes it so the lower strings feel like the higher strings. The great thing about the dingwall bass is that the E and the B string don't feel floppy at all, so they can be played the same way. Most people learn to vary their attack as they move down onto the lower strings. If you play bass you've probably learned, for example, to hit the E string more softly. If you have a bass with a low B, you really have to baby the low string.

On the Dingwall, the high G string is 34 inches long, while the low B is 37 inches long. The result is it's a very nice bass to play because your attack can be much more the same from string to string.

Obviously it's not vital and millions of songs have been played on parallel frets etc etc. There's some loss of playability at the extremes, like the low C is a bit of a reach and playing high up takes a bit of adjustment, but less than you might think. I think it's a really great idea for a five string bass. I'm not sure it'd be worth the fuss on a guitar

14. jfu222

jfu222 Tele-Meister

Oct 18, 2012
    Brooklyn
    It’s been about a week. I’ve never played one of these types prior. I love it!!! It’s a really powerful traditional tele tone. I really dig the neck. IMG_4603.JPG

RoyalBaby, P Thought, Jakedog and 2 others like this.
  15. jfu222

jfu222 Tele-Meister

Oct 18, 2012
    Brooklyn
    It's been about 1 1/2 weeks with my Salen. AMAZING guitar! Sounds like a full blooded high end classic tele...plays like something from another planet. It took me about two days for my eyes to get used to the fanned frets ...I could play easily with the eyes closed, but visually the frets threw me off at first. Now I can't keep my hands off of it. This thing is a marvel of classic tone and modern innovation. Not for everyone but %100 confirmed for me ;)

IMG_4603.jpg

Jakedog and BigDaddyLH like this.
  16. BigDaddyLH

Does it come in a 7 string?

17. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    I'm glad you dig it. I'm not one of the more traditionalist or conservative guitarists around here, and I'd play the snot out of that. I've been seriously looking at some of the Kiesel headless and multi-scale stuff.

18. jfu222

jfu222 Tele-Meister

Oct 18, 2012
    Brooklyn
    I had a car in Kiessling which was amazing but the radius was 20” ... sold it for the Salen. I love my traditional reels but man... this stuff is the future. There’s a place for both

Jakedog likes this.
  19. kaludjerko

kaludjerko TDPRI Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Hamburg, Germany
    Hi jfu, could you comment on how do you like the neck shape/thickness?
    I'm very much pondering to get one of those myself, and am fond of a bit thicker necks.
    I'm a bit concerned that Strandbergs, innitialy being aimed at metal comunity are with very thin necks...
    Would it be too much to ask for a measurement of neck thicknes?

20. jfu222

jfu222 Tele-Meister

Oct 18, 2012
    Brooklyn
    Hi Kaluderjerko!

I’ll have to measure the thickness but I must say the neck is absolutely a marvel of innovation. I too used chunky necks before this ... still do when I play other guitars. The Euroneck is an asymmetrical trapezoid so there’s nothing out there to compare it to. Whenever you get a chance to try one make sure to spend some time before deciding anything. I had an adjustment period of about 3-4 days before I “got it”... and when you don”get it” it’s pretty amazing... the neck has actually improved my technique on all guitars .. not just this one. Somehow it trains your left to play more economically. I still love playing my other guitars but this one is king. If you can order one I believe you have about 14 days to send it back if it’s not for you... that’s enough time .. you need about a week with it of constant playing to know for sure

- J

kaludjerko likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.