Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

"Stock from the factory" 1952 telecaster question

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by steam-powered, May 29, 2017.

1. steam-powered

steam-powered Tele-Meister

Jan 6, 2013
    USA
    Not too many years ago I read somewhere that, were one to walk into a local shop and buy a tele in 1952, it would have come from the factory with flatwound strings. I know that flatwounds were used by Luther Perkins but haven't been able to confirm (from an authoritative source) that Fender actually sent them from the factory with flatwound strings.

Anybody remember what came on your telecaster back in the early 50's?

Jimmy Owen likes this.

2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    I've read that too, and probably a pretty heavy gauge.

Jimmy Owen and Indy-Tele like this.

3. steam-powered

steam-powered Tele-Meister

Jan 6, 2013
    USA
    Bump in hopes of more responses.

4. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Low Lands
    I believe both types of string were available at that time but flatwounds were the norm on electrics if you look at the way saddles are intonated on preset bridges from that era.

5. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    In the old days flatwounds were on everything. They were quiet and many guys were into the Chet thing. Once James Burton and Rockabilly kicked in it became a different story.

6. unseen hand

unseen hand Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2014
    Phoenix, Az
    Not sure but I love the sound of flats on my teles, way more articulate on the lower strings.

lycheelassi likes this.

7. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    London
    And a wound G string, which is why the pole pieces are set up that way.

Wally, Jimmy Owen and lycheelassi like this.

8. Jimmy Owen

Jimmy Owen Tele-Meister

Apr 2, 2017
    Moravian Falls, NC
    Yes. Most folks forget that detail. It's why wraparound bridges on older gibsons are a bit off--they are compensated for a wound G.

9. RichardL

RichardL Tele-Holic

Mar 16, 2003
    Anaheim Hills, CA
    Pretty sure all Fenders shipped with flatwounds at least until the early 70's

10. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    +1 on the wound G observation. That is that is why a vintage staggered Strat pickup for example does not work well with a plain G string. That Plain G is much hotter magnetically than is the wound G. This is why I like adjustable polepiece pickups and also why I adjust the poles in those pickups that are supposedly non-adjustable. I first read of this in GP 43 years ago before I had gotten to understand it first hand. Those vintage staggers are perfect for the strings for which they were designed....wound G. And yet, pickup builders are still building vintage staggers for a market that is almost entirely plain G players. ???? Fwiw, the best modern Fender Strat pickup for my ears has poles that sit uniformly about 3/32" above the top of the bobbin. They are Alnico II pickups, and I adjust 5 poles per pickup to get a proper sound out of them....fantastic pickups once adjusted.
    Re: Gibson wrap-around bridges or any bridge that puts the strings on a straight angle to the line of the strings. These bridges and saddles will not properly intonate a guitar no matter what third string one uses. That is why in the '60's Gibson started using a compensated bridge for those lower line guitars....compensated for a wound G. These are called 'lightning bolt' bridges by some, iirc. The modern Gibsons that use a similar bridge have a compensation scheme for a plain G set of strings.

11. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    In the late 50's -60's I always used flat wound strings with a wound G .everyone did .I only came across wire would when I went acoustic .I used Epiphone heavies 13 +.No wonder my small hands had trouble playing .It was only in about 1982 Iwhen I restarted playing after a long gap that I bought a guitar with 9's on it .A Squier JV .much easier to play .I wasted years on thick strings and thick wide useless necks .

12. Twisted Kerle

Twisted Kerle Tele-Meister

Feb 2, 2016
    Alaska
    Gpa used flat wound strings with the Nocaster. Black diamond strings usually. He said they had less background noise when playing. Now I know why... Thanks!

lycheelassi likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.