Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Stinky bass!!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by ellisvertellis, Jan 12, 2018.

1. ellisvertellis

ellisvertellis Tele-Holic

Nov 29, 2012
    belgium
    So yesterday I tried to fix the jack input problem our bass player 's guitar and while I was working on it I noticed a smell! Really bad, like dried up slobber or something, really disgusting! Made me not want to touch the guitar anymore! He's in a Foo Fighters cover band, so I reckon that had something to do with it? :confused:
    When I confronted him with it, he laughed and told me that it was cat pee. His cat had peed all over the case. But the guitar is really taking in the smell too! Is there a way to get this smell out of the case? Or will he need to buy a new case?

2. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Afflicted

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    Tell him to take up smoking cigs. Then he can leave the butts in the case. After a while it won't smell like cat pee anymore! :D

3. MA6200

MA6200 Tele-Meister

May 12, 2017
    Maryland
    You can try the enzimatic cleaners but honestly I'd just junk the case

4. ellisvertellis

Nov 29, 2012
    belgium
    I'd get rid of the case too, but it's not up to me. I'd probably get rid of the guitar too!
    So there's an actual product for removing cat pee?! Thanks, I'll let him know!

nojazzhere and Piggy Stu like this.

5. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Get rid of the cat would've been my first action.:D Try that Nature's Miracle first, then consider junking the case. Pouring a beer over it might help too.:lol: If the cat pee got into the pickup coil and pots, you may need to change them out.

6. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Jan 21, 2016
    estados unidos
    I bought a shure mixer once (for parts) and it smelled so bad my wife made me store it out of the house. Sorta like 30 years of dirty ashtrays and flat beer, with a hint of human sweat and BBQ sauce.

No known solution.

ellisvertellis and Matthias like this.

7. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2003
    UK
    Sealing the offending article in a bag with a tray of bicarb of soda is an old trick for getting smells out. I'd junk the case though.

ellisvertellis and Piggy Stu like this.

8. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

May 1, 2016
    East Carolina
    Enzymatic cleaners like Nature's Miracle (pictured above) will literally eat up any odor-causing material they come into contact with, but physical contact is necessary. The enzyme cleaner needs to go everywhere the pee has gone.

ellisvertellis likes this.

9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

he must be a cat lover if he can laugh as he tells that. I would have ended the sentence with, "and now I use the cat's pelt as a chamois".

10. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    The problem with the "chamois" would be that it'll continue to shed.:mad:

11. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    I have sprinkled(read poured) dry baking soda all over the inside of stinky saxophone cases, let them sit, then vacuumed out. Worked pretty well with repeated process. Then Fabreeze to cover up the remaining odor.

12. ellisvertellis

Nov 29, 2012
    belgium
    Thanks guy! It's good to know we... sorry... he's got some options! :D

13. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Holic

Mar 16, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    I just spit out my coffee I laughed so hard!
    I had that happen years ago at a place we used to practice. I had an open bass drum with a blanket/pillow inside for recording. The place's owner's darn cat decided that the bass drum was a great place to hang out when not being used. Yep it ended up stinking real bad. Bummer I had to sell it, but it was nasty!

14. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    My buddy was working on his house and he always noticed the smell of cat pee following him around whenever he worked. Bothered him to no end, till he figured out the cat had been peeing on his nice leather tool belt.
    I will never own a cat.

15. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Cat pee worked to my advantage once. Twenty-four years ago I was house-hunting. My realtor found a listing that sounded perfect for me. It had been on market for nearly a year with no offers, but I had to see it anyway. We went to view it, and the second we opened the door, it hit us....cat smell. The smell made us gag, and my realtor wanted to turn around and leave, but the house was a forty-year-old mid-century.....just what I wanted. I held my breath and forced myself to go through it. The fact that the house had been closed up for a year didn't help things, and had probably repulsed other potential buyers. Plus, the owners (heirs to a deceased mother) were simply too lazy to try and clean it out. I made a low-ish offer, hoping they would negotiate a little, but SURPRISE!!! they accepted my offer. I had to rip every bit of carpet and drapes out, treat the hardwoods, and prime and paint every surface I could. The previous owners had smoked, as well, so that had to be dealt with. Even with the incredibly hard work on my part, I got a house that's almost ideal, in a great location and neighborhood, at a price I could afford......thanks in large part to cat pee......

Teleterr, Frankito and ellisvertellis like this.

16. drf64

drf64 Friend of Leo's

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI

Did all that get rid of the smell or did your noses just conk out? Did guests find excuses to leave early? I just want to know if it really became odor free.

17. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    I removed EVERY permeable item, and sealed and treated every hard surface, and of course aired out the house for several weeks before I could move in. I know what you're asking as to becoming "nose blind"....and according to others who came in, we apparently got rid of the smells. Your friend's bass can probably be cleaned, but the case is toast.....as should the cat.

18. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Holic

Jul 10, 2014
    Tokyo
    A very old trick is a small bag of pipe tobacco placed in the case. The old leather tobacco pouches work best.

19. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Ammonia/water 50/50 mix with a spray bottle all over and inside the case.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.