Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

Sting and Robert Downey Jr. Driven to Tears

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by bullfrogblues, Aug 10, 2017.

1. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2011
    Southeast Florida
    Someone posted this on my wife's FB page, and wow, I'm impressed! great singing by both,
    and a really good Telecaster player with great tones and chops! Catchy song, too!

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Indeed, the man can croon!

3. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2012
    Troy, MO
    Holy schatz, that was great! Wow!

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. gypsy jim

gypsy jim Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

This is "Butthole Surfing" if you ask me.

Once a fellow earns $$$$$$$$$$$ acting, he needs to step aside and let some other folks make some wages. Look, this is a zero sum game more than it ever has been, and really decent but unknown musicians are ceasing performing and taking jobs selling travel trailers instead. The issue here is never about whether some famous actor/personality can amuse you. Instead IMO the issue is, when there's no enough oxygen for other decent people, do you really need to use up every last bit of it? I thought we were taught as children, to share.

I think Downey is a seriously decent actor, and he can keep doing that. Joe Pesci, in comparison, wasn't getting much work and so I have no problem with the jazz vocalisms he's done. Hey, he (unlike Downey) was genuinely between jobs.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    Alamo likes this.

7. Jupiter

Jupiter Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    It's not like Joe Schmoe was gonna get THAT gig if RDJ begged off...

waparker4 likes this.

8. rad1

rad1 Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA
    Downey can do whatever he wants when he wants, just as you or I can. Absurd to think he is not allowed to sing just because he is successful at acting.

9. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Aug 29, 2007
    MV, CA
    Love it when people just let the telecaster clean tone work for a song.

Jakeboy and bullfrogblues like this.

10. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2009
    Greeley Co.
    He sounds like a cross between Sting and Dave Mathews.

11. Stefanovich

Stefanovich Tele-Holic

Jan 27, 2010
    Kingston, Ontario
    A lot of actors can sing well. So many were drama nerds in high school, and have done lots of musical theater. Nonetheless, I am surprised by how good Robert Downey Jr. sings. Turns out Sgt. Lincoln Osiris has pipes!

bullfrogblues likes this.

12. rad1

rad1 Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA

I think that is a bit less true now. Way back when most men and women actors were song and dance folks. It is fun to see some TV or movie actor break into song when you had no idea they could sing. Ok, Roseanne Barr does not count.:eek:

13. Broadchurch

Broadchurch TDPRI Member

May 12, 2017
    Melbourne
    Nooiiice! And yes - based on nothing but my own unfounded prejudice or generalised view - quite surprising.... love the blue tele, too!

14. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2011
    Southeast Florida
    Reminds me a little of Robert Palmer.

15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

This reminds me of when John Denver installed a huge fuel tank at his residence, and hoarded all the gasoline he could get when there was a shortage.

Totally within the law, sure.

I'm more of a "zero sum" guy; audiences can watch only so many shows, per week, and download just so many recordings and videos. If I had had this clip and was considering posting it to Youtube, I'd like to think I would have had the maturity to hold it back.

16. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Great clip. Thanks for posting.

17. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Tele-Afflicted

Bubba , most successful people in any field do not do it to achieve money, but respect.
    Using your argument, once a plumber, waitress, lawyer, teacher achieve x amount of $'s they should stop working. An interesting way of forcing retirement. I have a friend from the Phiilipeans who says nobody over 40 have jobs since they lose them to younger workers. That's what he attributes to their huge poverty problem.
    However he does share that in his home country, the family bond is far greater than we could imagine here.

18. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Garner, North Carolina
    Boris, that band was so good you and I could sound like a million bucks in front of it. :)

elihu and boris bubbanov like this.

19. kplamann

kplamann Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2003
    Paris region, France
    I love to hear Robert Downey Jr. sing. A couple of years ago he put out a great album of his own songs which are surprisingly strong. I wish he had done that more often.

Plays a decent piano, too.

20. Chatnoir

Chatnoir Tele-Meister

Sep 5, 2016
    Peabody, MA
    I remembered Downey singing "I wish I had a river" on Ally McBeal. He's an outstanding singer too.

Laura

21. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Tele-Meister

May 23, 2017
    NY
    Don't you just hate guys like Robert Downey Jr.! Handsome, great actor, great singer - does he do brain surgery on weekends? ;) Yep, that guitarist is smookin'. I agree, actors usually can dance, act and sing due to stage work but are usually typecast so you don't see all their talents. And for the record, I'm a big Robert Downey Jr. fan! Thanks for sharing - had no idea.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    SnidelyWhiplash likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.