StewMac Tele Wiring kit opinions?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by bigDschramm, Sep 18, 2012.

1. bigDschramm

bigDschramm Tele-Meister

I need to get a wiring kit for my first Tele build. Any opinions on the StewMac "Vintage" Tele wiring kit? http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Supplies:_Wiring_kits/Wiring_Kit_for_Telecaster.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=656

I'm a newbie to electronics since my expertise is in classical guitars. Any suggestions for caps, switches, pots, etc...? I love the tone that guys like Vince Gil and Brad Paisley get if that helps. I don't know much about sources for electric components.

I'm considering the StewMac tele pickups as well.

2. BSR77

BSR77 TDPRI Member

I have use thier wiring kits. They are good parts from what I can tell never had an issue with them. I think they offer them with either CTS or Alpha pots.

I have not used thier pickups I am a fan of the seymour duncan's.

3. stratomite

stratomite Tele-Meister

I have purchased complete wiring kits and wiring components from SMac several times with good results. The quality is usually above average.

I bought a set of their Golden Age pickups (humbuckers) and to me they are very "vanilla" sounding. Not bad, just run-of-the-mill pickups. Guitarfetish pickups get knocked on this board a lot, but I have had good luck with them and they are cheaper that Golden Age.

Some other guys can speak to the wiring schematics, but I would guess Brad Paisely's guitars have modern wiring. Just a guess.

4. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

I've bought a number of wiring kits and pre-wired assemblies from Acme Guitar Works, very good products and service.

5. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

I have used their standard kit twice, no issues, but lately I have been using the standard kit from Guitar Parts Resource, it already comes with CTS pot, CRL switch and orange-drop capacitor. It is slightly more expensive but the cheaper shipping (to my location) makes it comparable and it has better components :)

6. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I've had trouble with Stewmac's 3-way switches not working (3 of them to be exact). But I noticed the other day those switches were on clearance which usually means they are discontinuing them. Maybe they've replaced them with something else. The rest of the kit is nice.

7. bigDschramm

bigDschramm Tele-Meister

From what I understand the StewMac Vintage kit comes with CRL switch and CTS pots and switchcraft jack.

So do the caps effect the tone? Bright? Dark?

8. toneshaper

toneshaper Former Member

For $27 more than the StewMac vintage kit, you can get our prewired version that gives you the tools to dial in your tone by trying out vintage vs modern wiring, a treble bleed circuit, mulitple tone cap values and many more options. Have a look here Vintage/Modern Telecaster kit for more details.

9. bigDschramm

bigDschramm Tele-Meister

Wow! That is cool! No soldering! That is great for newbies like me.

10. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I used GuitarElectronics.com Tele Guitar Super Kit with CTS Precision Tolerance Pots and the V-Treb Adjustable Treble Bleed kit and Harpmaster Modern Telecaster Pickup Set. Harpmaster also has the Vintage Telecaster pickup Set that is very well liked by those who've used them. When played throiugh my "clean" Lil' Night Train, my Tele with the setup described has a beautiful, rich, warm clean tone when used with Fenders Pure Nickel .010" strings. Will also, drive my "dirty" Lil' Night Train into some sweet distortion, not quite as crunchy as my LP, but nice.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.