Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Stewmac just sent this to me , if you are interested

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by 24 track, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Holic

May 24, 2016
    Florida
    Small Bear has kits and good germanium transistors at somewhat reasonable prices.

1776 effects and rullywow (both sell PCBs but not kits).

and TAYDA for parts! ...can't emphasize that enough, it was a game changer to find out about them! I only buy from them anymore (except for the occasional transistor from small bear) and now that I started using vero, pedals are SO cheap to make! I built the same fuzzrite (complete with the switch) that Stewmac is selling for $95 for less than $10 (including the cost of a pre painted enclosure).

awasson and 24 track like this.

2. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Hey, thanks for the heads up about TAYDA. What a great place to buy pedal parts. I’ll definitely be going to them for hardware, boxes, stripboard etc... killer deals. I don’t know what shipping will be like but the prices of those boxes are half of what I’ve seen elsewhere.

24 track likes this.

3. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    as far as component quality goes I don't really have a care in the world. A lot of pedals (especially minis and digital) where smt and chinese production is on top sound great and a ts808 clone from joyo sounds great and probably uses the cheapest components it can source and qc issues with them are down to manufacturing as smt isn't as reliable as through hole soldering. I do think stewmac is using their name, jhs and earthquaker's to sell these at a really price.

24 track likes this.

4. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Meister

May 27, 2015
    District of Columbia
    I agree that Tayda is great but they do sell some total crap too. Some of their input output jacks are fine but some are total trash. Most of the 9v jacks I’ve gotten weren’t very reliable. But enclosures, resistors, caps, trannies and ICs are all fine from what I’ve had.

One thing for people getting into this, buy decent wire. It’ll save you a lot of headaches. I use the pre-bonded stuff from smallbear. It’s worth the extra money IMHO

24 track likes this.

5. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Meister

May 27, 2015
    District of Columbia
    Love my switches, AKA BLMS, is a great place to get enclosures, jacks, knobs, and (surprise) switches. The guy who runs it is really good with quality control, I’ve been happily with everything I’ve bought from him.

24 track likes this.

6. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2017
    Chattanooga
    Guitarpcb.com has my favorite hookup wire, it isn’t prone to breaking.

24 track likes this.

7. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Meister

May 27, 2015
    District of Columbia
    If it’s even better than the stuff at smallbear I’m going to have to try it out.

24 track likes this.

8. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    Great stuff here every one , thanks keep it comming!

9. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Holic

Mar 16, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    I've used GGG, BYOC, Mammoth, MODkits, Fuzzdog, Jack Orman and Aion (for boards). I used to like to make nice enclosures, but now I'm just too impatient to bung the board in the box and fire it up. :twisted:
    For price, can't beat GGG, I love them. BYOC has great support and nice kits but more expensive. MOD stuff is fun cause it's point to point. Once you've built a point to point reverb stomp (and a tube amp!) it gives appreciation to those long ago workers who put everything together that way pre-PCBs. Fuzzdog shipped quick to the US, and I love the Colorsound Overdriver of theirs. I built Jack Orman's FET boost ala the Bad Bob, sounds great. Aion has a nice selection of boards but then you need to source the BOM, which isn't hard with Mouser and DigiKey, but not a one stop shop.
    When StewMac advertised these kits a little while back it was just with JHS. I'm a boost nut, and was interested in the Bomb Boost, but the price, coupled with the need to finish the enclosure, and I already have a JHS Prestige, made me reconsider. Finish the boxes and I might be more interested.
    I have a BYOC FET boost (Boss FA-1) on my bench right now. Found the right color to paint the box over the weekend so now I just got to make a decal, and stuff the board. I am looking forward to it, since it's nearly a part for part clone of the original, unlike other FA-1 pedals out like the Valeton and Danelectro Billion Dollar Boost. BYOC sources the original Hitachi SIP op-amps, how cool is that?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    24 track likes this.

10. 24 track

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    some really great info here I think a resouce for these type of kits is a great start for the DIY newbie to souce from ,
    thank you for posting, excellant!

zippofan likes this.

11. Iago

Iago Tele-Afflicted

Sep 18, 2006
    Brazil
    You could probably buy the (used) originals for the price StewMac is asking.

I love sourcing for parts. Makes it more fun.

Places you can get PCB's (but no kits):

JMK pedals
    Pedal Delyk
    TH Customs
    Vip FX
    Pedal PCB (must go there. Biggest selection of OD's I've seen so far and the only one I know with FV-1 chip based projects).
    And good ole Madbean, of course (+ great forum).

Most of pedals I build are done on vero (also makes it more fun for me), so I leave PCB's for the more extensive circuits that would require a too large piece of vero board.

Nonetheless, great service and PCB quality from all of them.

24 track likes this.

12. Iago

Iago Tele-Afflicted

Sep 18, 2006
    Brazil
    Funny cos' I got some 3pdt and spdt toggle switches from them a couple yers ago and I had never seen switches going bad so fast. At least one of the toggle switches arrived loose, and the lever wouldn't stay in place properly.

I'm sticking with Tayda, Mammoth and Smallbear.

24 track likes this.

13. 24 track

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    Its great to see the resourcefulness of the members here, I agree with the prices that stewmac is charging are a little high and some of the companies mentioned are fantastic for sourcing, thanks every one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.