Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

StewMac has Preval, but why the price gouging?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by TRexF16, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Back in the day, Stewmac was the only or practically the only place to get guitar build/repair related products. Stewmac like other companies have to price those products according to their cost of the product and their operating cost as well and also figure in a profit.

Home Depot is a larger company that can move more products, negotiate less cost for the product and can sell for less profit due to volume sells that reduce operating costs.

Not every business out there is about raiding the consumer's pocket book.

2. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Tele-Afflicted

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    To clarify and not dump on StewMac, I love them and admire their customer service greatly. They have items that you can't really get anywhere else and the quality of those items are really good.

The issue is me, building is only a hobby, not my full-time job or where I make money. So in order to continue building, I have to be careful of what I spend.

Sure it's far easier to buy everything from one place, but that's not something I can afford to do.

I have purchased both the crowning file and radius sanding beam from Philadelphia Luthiery Supply. These items are top quality and feel good in the hand. I have not compared the two, but would find it hard to believe the quality could be that much different.

I order parts, tools and supplies from many sources. All Parts, StewMac, Philadelphia Supply, Ebay, Amazon and shop at the local hardwood lumber dealer, Home Depot and Lowes.

You gotta do what you gotta do!

telemnemonics likes this.

3. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    The prices tend to be higher across the board for many reasons. One of them is their customer service. It is simply the best out there. That costs money (people, shipping, replacement product, etc.).

As mentioned, they are dealing in a specialty supply market. One of the reasons they can charge higher is due to the professionals that have corporate accounts where the extra cost is actually cheaper than shopping around, or inferior product, or issues due to customer support, etc. This is not uncommon in the industrial manufacturing world. There was Enco, owned by MSC, that sold import and other items to hobbyists at a wonderful price point. However, MSC decided to do away with Enco and absorb them. MSC's prices on identical products can exceed double, but they offer the price break that was typical of Enco to the hobbyist customer like myself. Stewmac probably makes only a small part of their profits on hobbyists, with most of it coming from pro's.

Finally, they also have the most brand recognition, and as guitarists, we know that some brands command higher prices simply due to brand name, not because of quality or anything else.

Now, I don't buy that much from them. I make a ton of my own tools and prefer parts that they don't carry. But I think that they are good for the guitar builders' economy. I think the same of LMI, Allied, Philadelphia Luthier Supplies, Crimson, etc.

John Nicholas likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.