Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

StewMac has Preval, but why the price gouging?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by TRexF16, Sep 29, 2018.

1. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    I haven't noted them before in the StewMac lineup, but they are now there.
    https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Too...for_Finishing/Spraying/Preval_Spray_Unit.html

I use these a lot for work on necks, as it saves on lacquer by directing it only where I need it, but I get them at Home Depot for just about half the price as SM, and I don't have to pay shipping, I just stop by on the way home from work.
    https://www.homedepot.com/s/preval%20sprayer?NCNI-5

I really like StewMac but it just bugs me when they put this kind of price point on things that are not uniquely available there.

Just venting a bit...sorry,
    Rex

2. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    The seller's mantra: "Greed is good..." and "...whatever the market will bear."

rivalsociety and Arch Stanton like this.

3. esetter

esetter Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sep 1, 2011
    MI
    Everyone has to make a buck. Don’t like their price, buy it elsewhere. It’s called the free market.

4. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    While Stew Mac leans to the high side on pricing, I don't attribute all of it to greed. Pricing is also related to scale. If Stew Mac buys 100 of these things, their pricing is going to be a lot higher than Home Depot who buys 1000 of these things at a lower price point.

5. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    Yep. Margins people.

I was expecting to see a SM logo on the thing.

6. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

I've never heard about these and I'm basically limited to spraying aerosol cans. How good is it? I buy dartfords spray cans and they are really great, but much more expensive and I cannot mix my own.

7. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Tele-Holic

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    These days with the internet you can buy for the lowest price on the planet from your sofa. If their prices are too high just keep searching and let your fingers do the walking.:)

John Nicholas and RLee77 like this.

8. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    I have the usual problem atm......Being in euro land , I have to pay taxes if I buy anything in the US , ( and UK before long )

I need different things , nothing out of the ordinary , but its hard to find everything in the same place. I need a fret rocker , and a few other small tools , some switches for Gibsons , plastics for Les Pauls

I want oem plastic for the Les Paul , Im done with generic pu rings that dont fit around the screw holes at all etc.....In Europe , the places that sell the tools , dont have any of the other stuff , only cheap Epiphone like switches , and generic plastics.

Closest is Philadelphia Luthiers , apart from the plastics , cant get Gibson parts.

I will probably end up buying the Gibson parts from Thomann in Germany , and the tools and a few bobs and bits somewhere else......Bummer !

There is a place in Europe where I have bought lots of stuff over the years, they have a great selection of parts , woods and tools........But they dont sell strings....wtf ??

I might buy some bridge and stud parts I need from Philadelphia , the same parts in Europe cost a lot more , even the descriptions are copied from PLTs page .

Just out of principle I could wait a bit longer , even if the taxes even out the price , dont even think the shipping from the US cost more

Bottom line , I sometimes could see myself buying from a place like SM ( and have done so in the past )if they had everything in stock that I need , but I agree about many of their prices

9. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Oh trust me, you'll never find a more staunch supporter of Free Market Capitalism as me. This is one of those examples where nobody would buy at a price point non-representative of "fair market value", as long as they had the information to make the decision. I like StewMac as I said, I just wanted to get the word out on what a fair market price is for this item. And HD ships free on $45 or more orders. They (HD) have a great price on Watco Laquer shipped free to your door, BTW. But HD does not provided free lutherie video tutorials ( /infomercials??) nor offer some unique products for our craft.

OTOH, when I read about folks going to HD to get their lumber for guitar building (lots of threads like that here) I always steer them away towards a "real" lumberyard or hardwood dealer when able. I like to see folks get the most for their hard-earned money, that's all.

Cheers,
    Rex

John Nicholas and esetter like this.

10. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Yeah, but the funny thing is, StewMac could actually source these things shipped free to their distribution center FROM Home Depot, paying HD's Retail price, and still make an above average wholesale/retail price split. You gotta admit it's a bit crazy.

Cheers,
    Rex

awasson likes this.

11. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Home Depot preval 5.60 Stewmac 8.03. It's 6 dollars for gas to and from the closest home depot for me to buy one. Stewmac for the win if I were buying one with more stuff. Home depot for the win if I'm out that way buying other stuff and think of it. I'd rather support stewmac than home depot, too. In reality, I'd get the preval at Sherwin Williams, which is closer to me, if I were actually going to buy one. Actually this scenario really did occur a year or so ago.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    telemnemonics likes this.

12. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

Dec 9, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    Well only because you drive around in a hemi powered beast! :)

13. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

Ha...I'm not even considering 25 cents a mile depreciation at 15 dollars round trip.....LOL....that's an expensive preval.

14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Because, Stew Mac!

Also, many manufacturers make down spec'd products for Home Depot, either by eliminating features, or by lowering quality.
    Not sure if that's the case here though.

15. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    Has anyone actually ASKED Stew-mac about their pricing?
    They've been pretty responsive to me in the past.

16. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson

Along those lines, and it is not my intent to disparage StrewMac, just to get the word out on smart shopping, these two items do appear to be the identical gun, except "Horror Fright" (as the tool snobs call it) includes an in-line regulator, which StewMac doesn't, and is still 10% less.
    https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Too...Finishing/Spraying/Gravityfeed_Spray_Gun.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/hvlp-detail-spray-gun-46719.html

I feel bad that this thread is looking a little like hating on StewMac. I've spent plenty there and think they are a great outfit. Maybe some newer members will land here and just get a feel for the benefit of looking around a bit for certain items that are commonly available in the marketplace.

BTW, here's the link to that good deal from HD on Watco, to which I referred above. Two Gallons shipped free to your doorstep for $51.96
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Watco-1-gal-Clear-Gloss-Lacquer-Wood-Finish-Case-of-2-63031/204803658
    I'm on my second two gallon case from them and have been pleased with the product.

17. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.
    So I recently bought a dermal Router base $59.00 and the soundhole and rosette router jig $ 90.. At first I thought this was pretty high priced and it is especially when you consider all the parts & engineering in something like a $50 orbital sander compared to the router base and rosette cutter. What I came up with your are really also paying for a specialty tools in “some cases”. probably making something like the router base is much more labor intensive than a go-bot spitting out thousands of sanders. I’m not saying everything SM sells price is justifiable but some stuff they got you. BTW I buy more tools from other places than SM yeah you have to Google everything theses days.

John Nicholas and telemnemonics like this.

18. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    In SM's surveys that they send out I always mention that in the comments - Why are some of their items so much more than the identical product somewhere else. They have always seemed to have a monopoly to me. A good example of what I consider ridiculous is the aluminum sanding beam. SM's is 18.5" long and $155. Philly Luthiers is 20" long and $84. Who is the larger company with more buying power? Who would you buy from? SM is a great resource but I don't just automatically order from them. I look around first.

John Nicholas and telemnemonics like this.

19. davegardner0

davegardner0 TDPRI Member

May 3, 2016
    NJ, USA
    I think you're right, Stew-Mac's pricing is quite reasonable for their specialty tools, especially the ones they're engineered and manufactured themselves. For something like the dremel router base, sold in quantities of 100's a year MAX I'd guess, the pricing is very reasonable. Small batches of all of those machined parts aren't manufactured cheaply. As consumers I think we just get used to extreme economies of scale with a lot of consumer goods (like an orbital sander). Unless you're making a million units, products do cost that much to make, sell, and stay in business with.

Now for the "smaller" items that Stew-Mac just resells, like the preval, maybe it seems less fair. BUT you have to remember Stew-Mac is a much smaller operation overall than Home Depot, so their (smaller) distribution center probably operates less efficiently. Again it's all about volume. Plus their very excellent customer service and website costs money. And, I'd like to hope their warehouse labor conditions aren't anywhere near as bad as what you read about Amazon, likely HD, etc. so they probably pay their people more all around.

Bottom line is I think Stew-Mac, as a very specialty retailer, has no choice but to charge what they do if they want to stay profitable and in business.

But of course you're the consumer, so if driving to home depot for your preval is cheaper then you should do it! But in Stew-Mac's favor some customers (like me) who have the stew-max membership might just add on a preval unit from them out of convenience since it's only a few dollars more.

John Nicholas and SacDAve like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.