Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

StewMac 3-Way Toggle Question

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by tiskit86, May 30, 2012.

1. tiskit86

tiskit86 Friend of Leo's

Jan 6, 2011
    Oakland
    Hi All,

I'm trying to wire my latest build LP style, w/ 2 vol, 2 tone, and 3 way switch. The 3-way switch I have is from StewMac, and looks like this:

[​IMG]

Notice it only has two lugs on one side, and one lug on the other.

The wiring diagram they provide with this switch looks like this:

[​IMG]

Since their own wiring diagram doesn't use the same switch, but rather the more traditional 3-way w/ 3 lugs on one side and the ground lug on the other, how is this new switch wired?

By the way, I'm using Parson Street humbuckers, which have one hot wire covered by a metal sheath for the ground, so there is only one wire coming out of each pickup. I can't make sense of the difference in the switch and the grounds on the pickup wires and really would rather have a good diagram or instructions before soldering and unsoldering.

Thanks in advance....

2. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Aug 20, 2011
    Canada
    Maybe this will help..........or not.

Attached Files:

3. Suproman

Suproman Tele-Meister

Feb 23, 2006
    Ottawa, ON, Canada
    I'm pretty sure I can see 4 lugs on the front of that switch in your photo. The 2 inner lugs need to be connected together (you can bend them) and then wired to the output jack.

Pat

4. Bob W.

Bob W. Tele-Meister

Feb 1, 2010
    Oak Park, CA
    I believe that in the photo shown, the switch has 4 lugs on one side, and 1 on the other. You need to bend the pairs of lugs apart so that you can wire it the way the diagram shows.

The pickup wires are simple shielded audio lines, the metal sheath is ground, the center wire is the signal. You'll note that the metal cans of all 4 pots are connected together, that's ground for the pickups, bridge, jack, and switch.

Here's a picture:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3356/3527942169_511606b259.jpg

(looks like Suproman beat me to it...)

5. KenH

KenH Tele-Holic

Jun 30, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Better picture. Bend the inside two together for output. Single lug on the other side is ground.

Attached Files:

6. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Aug 20, 2011
    Canada
    Oops, wasn't fast enough.

7. tiskit86

tiskit86 Friend of Leo's

Jan 6, 2011
    Oakland
    Aha! Dudes, thank you.

8. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Also - read the reviews on the Stew Mac switch ... then buy a Gibson one from amplified parts!

9. tiskit86

tiskit86 Friend of Leo's

Jan 6, 2011
    Oakland

Yeah, the switch does feel a little trigger happy toward the middle position. I also ordered a couple from Musician's Friend.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.