Steve Morse Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by AlexEP, Mar 29, 2012.

1. AlexEP

AlexEP Tele-Meister

Ok, it's not a signature! :D
    [​IMG]

And it has a strat neck!!:confused:
    [​IMG]

I'm very found of his sound (here with Mr. Albert Lee!!!!)

And I'm very curios about his old strange telecaster was wired.
    Someone knows it? Or, otherwise, think how it could be? It's just a curiosity!! :D

Thanks folks :D

2. bcarter_1

bcarter_1 Tele-Afflicted

3. Bernie

Bernie Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

4. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

"Parts is parts"

Got to see him live with his trio, right after The Dregs. He was playing that "Tele" through a pile of outboard gear and amps.

Sounded great!

5. BopT

BopT Tele-Afflicted

Saw him at Namm doing a demo jam from five fee away just amazing!

6. Ed P

Ed P Friend of Leo's

Used to love that tele - still do. I was bummed when he started using the EBMM.

7. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Friend of Leo's

This guitar lives under a bed on Long Island, NY.

8. AlexEP

AlexEP Tele-Meister

Great folks!!!! This forum is a mine of informations!!!!

9. Donelson

Donelson Tele-Afflicted

Love Steve Morse -- glad to see any thread thereto.

I saw the Dixie Dregs, in Nashville & Augusta, many times, in the 1970's. Even in Cookeville, TN!

Maybe forgotten now, is that Steve Morse was a cat that was known & checked out by the Nashville country players, when the Dregs used to play at the Exit/In. I personally saw Vassar Clements at one of those "shows". They were a big sensation in the mid-70's; not to a popular audience, but to musicians. That blend of "true" country sounds, and all the other stuff, had a permanent impact on Nashville, IMO.

Steve always played this axe at that time, which he was apparently tinkering with a lot.

Attached Files:

10. rarebreed

rarebreed Tele-Holic

I saw him live in Nashville, several years back during the Summer Namm show. Ernie Ball/Musicman had a promotional show going on at one of the local downtown clubs. Steve Morse was there along with Steve Lukather and Albert Lee. Sometime during the show Rodney Crowell came in and got in the mix as well. It was one helluva jam.I don't remember the name of the club but it seems like it was called the Ace of Clubs or something of that nature.

11. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Tele-Afflicted

Thanks Bernie. interesting info.
    Steve's an interesting kind of player - so much skill, and also so innovative with his gear. He's been one of my favorites since the Dregs.

12. AlexEP

AlexEP Tele-Meister

13. shorty1

shorty1 Tele-Meister

Your bed ?

14. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Bringing this one up again because look at THIS...

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/all-star-gear-steve-morses-frankenstein-telecaster-544071
    Detailed pictures of the old girl and descriptions from the master himself, enough to make the biggest Morse fan drool.

But he's also VERY brutally honest about Telecasters.
    "At the time, I didn't think too much of it. I kind of assessed it like this: The guitar feeds back; it doesn't tune; the maple neck is too slippery to play when my hands are sweaty; and one of the presets on the three-way switch makes no sense – it has a capacitor, which takes away all the high end. I was baffled as to why people thought Telecasters were so great."

15. Donelson

Donelson Tele-Afflicted

I am so glad you found that interview & posted it here. Great info. I was just mesmerized by that guitar when I saw the Dixie Dregs numerous times in the 70's.

Also I copied Steve & used two fingers to hold the pick, & used the fat end. Decades later, I still do that.

16. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

I have an old issue of Guitar Player somewhere where Steve Morse is seen with two matching teles, one was the one we're discussing here, the other one looked just like it but had all black pickups. I have to look that issue up and scan in that picture.

He also had a blue copy of his tele, prior to getting his siggy model with Musicman.

I found this picture of Morse being joined onstage by Yes guitarist Steve Howe, who's playing Morse' blue tele.
    [​IMG]
    Too bad that it isn't a bigger picture.

[​IMG]
    And here he is with a prototype of his siggy model, note the different shape of the pickguard the built in midi converter and the cream humbuckers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He got that guitar in 1985 and used it with Kansas and with the Dreggs ofcourse.

17. Torz Johnson

Torz Johnson Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

You can see that Tele in action in this video. I think this version was the one on Night of the Living Dregs. It's not a guitar-centric song, but I forgot how much I liked it. Egads, how I wish I could transport myself back to the 70s. :lol:

18. stinkey

stinkey Tele-Afflicted

Dixie Dregs!!! How much i liked them.

19. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have an old GP with Steve on the cover from August 1982 - Steve talks about having a "duplicate" that he kept at home so he could get it quickly if the original were stolen while they were on the road. No photos of the duplicate though; the photo you're thinking of must be in another issue not the one (maybe in that issue of Guitar World already posted). Interestingly though Steve is also in a Fender ad on the back of the magazine for the Lead III - but it's a photo of Steve playing that "Lead I 1/2" he had - a Lead I with the neck single coil from a Lead II and 3 toggle switches. I think he was using that beast as his "road backup" at the time.

I believe he got that light blue duplicate once he got the signature pickup deal with DiMarzio - the body parts might also be DiMarzio on that one since it dates to that brief time period when DiMarzio was selling bodies and necks.

Nice photos of that prototype with the built in synth driver; I had almost forgotten about that one since he was later seen with a synth driver bolted onto one of the production models. Nice shot of Steve with Sterling Ball - is that from a NAMM show jam or something?

EDIT: I just realized I didn't identify the issue as August 1982.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.