Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Steve Lukather fans? Name this song. This lead is familiar but i cant remember what song it's from.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Chunkocaster, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Tele-Afflicted

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    I've been trying to remember the name of the song being jammed on at around the 13.10 minute mark in this video. I want to throw the rhythm down on my looper and improvise over it. Hopefully learn the actual lead on the song and build on that.

Guessing it's a early Toto song?
    It's frustrating to recognise it yet not be able to remember the name or find it through google searches.
    Enjoy the jam anyway and hopefully someone has a better memory than me.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    It just sounds like a simple two chord I, Flat 7 vamp, to me.
    G to F.
    Technically, IV chord C to G and the IV chord B flat to F.
    It’s just a jam.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  3. Chunkocaster

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    Thanks, they are jamming and improvising on it but its taken from a song.
    I recognise the chord progression and many parts of the lead, phrasing.
    I think it was an 80's standard constantly played on the radio back then?
    I never learnt to play it but I know what's coming when listening..

4. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    ...I don't know, maybe - not exactly this, a little different rhythm structure, but maybe close enough that you could base the jam on it...

Chunkocaster likes this.
  5. Chunkocaster

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    Thanks, yeah that's not it but you can hear Steve's style in many of his solos.. I think their jam is very close to the lead in the actual song because I can almost hear what is coming and most of the phrasing is very familiar. I've been trying to find the damn thing for about 5 hours on and off today.:( I've got a feeling that it might be radically different from the rest of the song. I'm not a huge Toto fan, I like a few of their older songs but ive had to listen to more than i'd like today. It might come to me randomly tomorrow. It's turning into a slight obsession now.:confused: I may just have to watch that video a bunch of times and try to learn everything from that clip and by ear. I was really hoping to find some tab for the original song.

6. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2014
    Atlanta
    I think that's "Stab IN The Back" from Luke's solo record Ever Changing Times

Chunkocaster likes this.
  7. Chunkocaster

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    I had a listen and that's not it. Thanks for trying anyway.:)

8. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Big fan of Luke. Love almost every thing he does.

I'm not coming up with a specific song where that vamp appears, but when you find it please quote me and post it so I can hear it too.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  9. Chunkocaster

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    If I work it out myself I will be posting it here for sure. It's killing me not being able to remember it. More than just knowing the song note for note I want to learn all that lead phrasing so I can incorporate it in my own lead improv. Plenty of cool tricks in there to throw in the bag.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  10. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    The only thing about his playing that turns me off is when he does the two hand tapping out of context... like, in a slow blues song. That technique belongs in an 80s pop/rock sound (which he partially created)... not a Hendrix tribute.

nojazzhere likes this.
  11. Chunkocaster

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    Yeah i'm not big on that either but used sparingly it can work well. Richie Kotzen does a bit of that. It works well sometimes but he usually uses it at speed or for just a note or two followed by a bend..

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Steve has great technique, but MY complaint was I've seen him twice with Ringo's AllStar Band, and he SHREDS on every solo he takes, whether it's appropriate or not. Some of the older stuff that band will do calls for more restraint and melodicism. Just my thought....;)

13. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Some guys, no matter how much of a virtuoso they are, just can’t put the song first.
    As I like to say, be careful with a guy who can really play, he probably will.
    This old man, who is virtually the same age as Luke, learned a long time ago that the song comes first.
    The heck with your ego.
    Some years ago he was lamenting how he, and his type of playing were under-utilized “now”.
    Duh!
    Nothing and no one lasts forever.
    I figure he shoulda been grateful for his long run, and great artistic and financial success.
    Some people’s kids!

14. Chunkocaster

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    Still haven't been able to find the song. Maybe it's not a Toto song after all?
    Could be from something else he has played or just a song they both knew?
    I was sure it was from a standard classic many people would remember. He mentions Rosanna just before Char starts playing. Maybe it's from an extended or live version of that song? I did listen to a couple versions of Rosanna but couldn't find it in those.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.