Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Steve Gaines' pre-Skynyrd solo album ?!?!

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by TheGoodTexan, Sep 28, 2017.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Why have I never known this existed? Steve Gaines' pre-Skynyrd solo album? Click on it... I dare you.

It's absolutely brilliant. I feel like I've missed out all these years, not knowing about this.

2. richiek65

richiek65 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

30secs in and I'm loving it!

broadcaster and TheGoodTexan like this.

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Is that Steve Gaines singing?

4. TheGoodTexan

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Yessir!

5. broadcaster

broadcaster Tele-Holic

Oct 16, 2003
    Joliet, Illinois
    51CpnB8XY3L._SX355_.jpg I found Steve Gaines "One in the Sun" CD for sale in a store bargain bin maybe 25 years ago, and have been enjoying it ever since. it is available on Spotify. great mid seventies funky rock.

Bruxist and TheGoodTexan like this.

6. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Mar 23, 2016
    Raleigh, NC
    Yep, great album - I got it on casette many moons ago.

7. TheGoodTexan

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    It's my understanding that it was recorded in Gaines' pre-Skynyrd days, but not released until the mid-80s sometime.

Tootle and broadcaster like this.

8. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    Kind of an Elvin Bishop, Wet Willie type of sound. I like it, can't say I love it, but I like it enough to listen a few more times and see how much it might grow on me...

9. TheGoodTexan

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Completely agree, but with much better vocals.

As an aside... I went to see BB King in Little Rock, AR in 1995... and Jimmie Vaughan opened for him.

As me and some friends are sitting there... about a dozen rows back from the stage, BB looked out into the audience and chatted with a few audience members between songs, like he was known to do. He looked in our direction and said,

"Well, well, well... I see an old friend of mine out there. How are you Elvin? Good to see you my friend. Ladies and gentlemen, Elvin Bishop."

And the man sitting in the seat next to me on my right stood up and smiled and waved to everyone. Yep, it was Elvin Bishop. After everyone clapped for him, BB started up the next song. During another brief song break a bit later, I chatted with Elvin. What a super cool freaking nice guy. He was just there to see BB too.

10. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Holic

Aug 2, 2011
    Branson, Mo
    I grew up in the same area (where the SW border of Missouri touches NE Oklahoma) as Stevie Gaines and I'm about the same age. When I was in high school, he played in a very popular band called the Pink Peach Mob and sounded much like he does on the first cut in the OP.

broadcaster and Doug 54 like this.

11. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

Mar 8, 2013
    NW Arkansas
    Back in fall of '74 or spring of '75 I used to go to a place in Pittsburg, Ks. called "the Blue Barn" (that actually looked like a barn redone into a bar) and see Steve Gaines in his band from Miami, Ok called Crawdad.
    The guy was brilliant singer/guitarist. Check out his version of It's Alright from the solo album.

broadcaster likes this.

12. Bruxist

Bruxist Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    One of my best friends growing up is about the biggest Skynyrd fan rhere is, so he had this album back im H.S.

Love Steve Gaines. Feel like he breathed life into Skynyrd as they were becoming staid.

One in the Sun is good but man, I think about what he could have done if his music had time to mature.

richiek65 and broadcaster like this.

13. acrylicsuperman

acrylicsuperman Tele-Holic

Nov 17, 2010
    Arizona
    Thanks for posting. Steve was probably my first guitar hero and I didnt even know this album existed.

14. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Dec 12, 2004
    Ohio
    Wow. Dang, double dog good!!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.