Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Steve Earle

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by elihu, Jun 8, 2018.

1. jondanger

jondanger Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    This is from Heartworn Highways right? I love that movie.

Guitar Town is such a coherent and thematically consistent record. And it feels like it’s the story of how Steve got into that room.

elihu likes this.

2. rogb

rogb Tele-Holic

Jan 3, 2012
    London, England
    "Her hair was black and her eyes were blue"
    I've met a fair number of lovely Irish lasses just like this over the years.

elihu likes this.

3. black_doug

black_doug Tele-Afflicted

I'm a proud owner of the Martin M-21 Steve Earle Signature model. It's probably about time I learned how to play some of his songs on it.

Ben-Zion, Dan R and elihu like this.

4. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    Steve and Richard Bennett (Neil Diamond, Mark Knopfler etc.) did all the demos that morphed into the Guitar Town album. But on this song the band couldn't improve on their demo. So they re-recorded it with Steve singing and Richard playing rhythm. Then Richard went back and overdubbed stand up bass, tick tack guitar and lead guitar. (Some other guy beat the snare). I'll tell you Bennett is one talented guy.

Steve's catalog includes a lot of different styles, don't it?

blowtorch, Dan R, asatfan and 2 others like this.

5. billgwx

billgwx Tele-Meister

Nov 6, 2009
    Centereach NY
    OMG!! I meant Galway Girl. Time for a correction :D

Dan R and elihu like this.

6. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    Ozark
    The Wire

Ben-Zion likes this.

7. elihu

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    Steve with the great Iris DeMent...

Ben-Zion likes this.

8. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 6, 2007
    central illinois
    Always liked Steve Earle, his sound and his songwriting. Not sure I'd want to hang out with him and he may not me. Songwriting, however, isn't something I'd pick on Hayes Carll about at all. I think he's quite remarkable considering he's been on the planet 20 less years.

9. elihu

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    Hayes is a good songwriter but Steve is great. I think Carll is a little too wordy sometimes. Maybe it's due to pleasing a bar crowd for most of his career but he has a tendency to pander to his audience a bit. However to his credit his last album Lovers and Leavers avoided that. But Steve chooses his words carefully and really takes the time to hone, distill and polish his songs. I think that for now he's a step above Carll. Of course he's had Towns and Guy Clark as mentors so that counts for something.

asatfan likes this.

10. Ben-Zion

Ben-Zion Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2017
    Louisville
    Folks have already mentioned Steve's acting in TREME and THE WIRE. +1 for his role on the Wire as Waylon, a pretty inspiring character to those of us also in recovery. I'm sure Steve thought of it as a case of "type casting."

asatfan likes this.

11. bodevelho

bodevelho Tele-Meister

May 19, 2018
    EUA
    Maybe one of the best 2 or 3 shows I've ever seen was SE solo maybe in 05 or 06, I ran into him on an airplane and we talked a little.

Its interesting that he was playing Gibson (AJ's I think) back then and it actually got me looking at Gibson acoustics again, then he switched to Martins.

I think he has a lot of ex wives.

asatfan likes this.

12. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    Before he married Allison Moorer, he said "I'm not getting married again. I'm just gonna find a woman I don't like and buy her a house."

scrapyardblue, asatfan, elihu and 2 others like this.

13. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 6, 2007
    central illinois
    I agree, Earle is a step above as his body of work validates. I like both of their music a lot, but seem to enjoy HC music more these days than Earle's newer stuff.

I guess I just found Earle's comments to be bitter, while Carll's to be clever, considering they are both among today's best songwriters. I'd think after ending his seventh marriage Earle would have a little more pride than to take the swipe.

elihu likes this.

14. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Meister

Jun 22, 2017
    NJ
    blue-eyed soul

elihu likes this.

15. elihu

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    Written about Towns of course. And Steve wrote Goodbye Michelangelo as a tribute to Guy Clark.

This song was covered by Johnny Cash and Waylon Jennings (plus the Highwayman).

brookdalebill likes this.

16. elihu

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    Steve with Buddy Miller...how cool is that?

tweedman2001 likes this.

17. Love Steve. Almost forgot how heavy he got after getting clean.

18. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jun 24, 2006
    Fort Worth,Tx.
    Loved the Train a Coming album, and most of all his stuff.

elihu likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.