Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Steve Earle

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by elihu, Jun 8, 2018.

1. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    Okay, I admit I'm a fanboi (did I spell that right?). I think Steve as a songwriter is equal to anyone out there and better than most. Take this simple duet-speed it up, add two male British voices and you'd think it was a long lost Beatles song due to the smart, simple chord progression, perfect bridge and vocal harmony.

Since Steve and Allison divorced she has taken up with Hayes Carll. In an interview Steve mention she'd left him for a "younger, skinnier less talented songwriter." Hayes responded during a concert that it was because Steve talks too much. I think they're both right.

See?...fanboi.

2. Catawompus

Catawompus Tele-Meister

Nov 29, 2014
    Switzerland
    I completely agree with you but I like him better when he kicks ass.. and he still does:

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I'm right with ya regarding Mr. Earle.
    I hadn't heard about the changes in his personal life.
    Thanks!

elihu likes this.

4. elihu

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    I'm kinda embarrassed that I know the changes.

I think this is a kick-ass song...nonsense lyrics but the writing's so good that you can enter Steve's fantasy world and let the song play on your emotions. It's like reading a Harry Potter book! And that's okay once in a while.

5. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama
    I'm a huge fan of Steve Earle's songs The Other Kind and Billy Austin.

Great songs, great songwriter!!
    :)

elihu likes this.

6. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

May 25, 2010
    North Alabama
    Saw him and the Dukes last month on the Copperhead Rd Anniversary tour. Great show.

Ben-Zion likes this.

7. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The Mountain with Del McCourey and sons is a great record.

8. P Bill

P Bill Tele-Meister

Feb 21, 2018
    Range View, Australia

9. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charleston, SC
    He's a great talent. I have enjoyed his songs over the years. Steve has got the goods. He has a show on Sirius Outlaw Country called Hardcore Troubadour.

ifallalot and elihu like this.

10. elihu

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    Galway Girl is on my list to learn next. Steve tells a story about when the Spanish Armada retreated from their English opponents they sailed around the UK to escape, losing ships along the way. He goes on to explain that a Spanish ship was lost close to Galway and sailors from the ship made it ashore, eventually contributing to the local genetic pool! Thus "her hair was black and her eyes were blue" line from the song...not common characteristics of Irish women. Apparently it's a local legend and who knows how true it is. But it makes a great story to introduce a song!

The guy is a true folksinger in the best sense of the word.

BWNadeau and Dan R like this.

11. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    elihu and billgwx like this.

12. billgwx

billgwx Tele-Meister

Nov 6, 2009
    Centereach NY
    My daughters are really into the Irish singers Celtic Thunder, who covered Galway Girl. First time they played the CT version at home I got to pull a "Dad is cool" moment by following it with Steve's original version. I got to sing it at their friend's college graduation party 2 weeks ago...had brought my acoustic guitar on a whim, only to find a PA set up and more than a few guitars and some drums in the house. Always keep that guitar handy...and never in its case at home except to humidify :D

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    elihu likes this.

13. billgwx

billgwx Tele-Meister

Nov 6, 2009
    Centereach NY
    Transcendental Blues...great great record. When Steve was firing on all cylinders from about 1995 (starting with Train A-Comin') through the time of this record in 2000 he out-Bruced Bruce Springsteen, even in his own state where I lived at the time.

Zebb and Dan R like this.

14. billgwx

billgwx Tele-Meister

Nov 6, 2009
    Centereach NY
    Wow. Very reminiscent of this, which is also unapologetically Beatlesque:

Dan R, bender66, elihu and 1 other person like this.

15. elihu

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    Schmee, that's his sister Stacy singing on When I Fall. So it's a relationship song but not the relationship that you think of when you first hear it...sorta like Chuck Berry's Memphis. I love little songwriting twists like that.

Billgwx, it seems amazing to me that Celtic Thunder would sing a song about burning down Walmart. That doesn't seem to fit with their audience. But I totally agree with your assessment of Steve>Bruce. And I like Bruce. Steve has a rare gift where his chord progressions don't sit still too long...they're taking you somewhere. And it's the same with his lyrics. Mr. Earle may have a better average than Ty Cobb when it comes to hits vs misses.

And thanks for the Smithereens cut!

Here's one from the album Terraplane. Steve says he borrowed this style from Mance Lipscomb and i hear that. But it's more melodic than Mance usually is...sounds more like 1930's string band/jug band stuff...like something Jimbo Mathus would do with the Squirrel Nut Zippers or his new band the South Memphis String Band. Mr. Earle is also progressing nicely with his guitar playing which is something Dylan never really did.

16. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Holic

Jul 1, 2008
    california
    i really liked steve earle in 1986 but since then he seems to mumble a lot. spit it out!

play music!

17. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    I agree. Great audio & video quality here.

Love seeing him every year at the HSBG in SF.

Good to hear they both have a sense of humor regarding their relationships.

Ben-Zion, MickM and elihu like this.

18. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2016
    Arizona
    Another big fan here. One of my favorite songwriters of all time.

A few songs of his that I cover regularly:
    My Old Friend the Blues (my personal favorite)
    Guitar Town
    Hardcore Troubadour
    Tom Ames' Prayer
    Tennessee Blues

I've heard the quote in the OP before, but didn't know he was referring to Hayes Carll. I like Carll's music as well, but agree he's not in Earle's league.

elihu likes this.

19. tonyp145

tonyp145 Tele-Meister

Sep 19, 2010
    Kent, WA
    I liked him on the HBO show Treme.

Ben-Zion likes this.

20. Silent Otto

Silent Otto Tele-Meister

Jun 1, 2015
    3rd rock
    a skinny and teenaged steve, keeping good company

bender66, elihu, rogb and 1 other person like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.