Stereo effects into channels 1 & 2 on DRRI

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by diasy2, Apr 20, 2019.

1. diasy2

diasy2 TDPRI Member

‘Stereo effects into channels 1 & 2 on DRRI‘
    assuming my effects pedal output is true stereo(and L+R not identical?), should this set up work? It seems to sound okay but not sure if it should sound any richer than my old set up of mono effects into my barber launchpad which gives two out of phase outputs fed into the DRRIs two channels - instead I’m trying to ‘sum’ The left and right effects outputs into a twin channel mono amplifier

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  2. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

Unless you want the sound of the effect to disappear because of the out of phase inputs, what you are describing is a recipe for sucking. Stereo really only works when you are using two separate amps. Then it is in stereo. Usually stereo effects will default to the left output for mono operation, so that is what you should do. Why not just get another amp to hear the effect in actual stereo? You will get a bit of a thicker signal from combining inputs when they are put into phase, but the effect still won't be in stereo. In fact putting a stereo signal might garner less impact when using it with a monaural source. Those effects are meant to have two separate sources so you get the space of the reverb or delay. By putting it into a monaural source, the trails actually begin to work against each other. Instead the resulting effect being more diffuse, it becomes more constricted.

Wally, Paul in Colorado and schmee like this.
  3. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, I think the DR channels are out of phase, unlike the bigger amps

4. diasy2

diasy2 TDPRI Member

Yea I heard that all black-faced Reissues we’re out of phase

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  5. diasy2

diasy2 TDPRI Member

How about with a bandmaster - it’s channels are in phase with each other - I guess in that scenario then what happens is down to wether a true stereo mix contains the same info as a just using the ‘mono out’ option on a stereo out effects pedal - obviously I’m not trying to make a mono amp sound stereo (I already have two Drris for a stereo set up. I’m just interested in the idea of ‘summing’ a stereo mix into a twin channel mono amp

6. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

I'd have to pull every schematic from that era to say 100%, but it's a very safe bet if it's a 60s Fender 2 channel amp with reverb/tremolo, or one based on those circuits like a Reissue, the two channels are out of phase. The gain stage after the reverb gets mixed in reverses the phase compared to the normal channel.

Want to confirm? Jumper the two channels together, turn up both channels, and see if it sounds thin and weirdly EQ'd.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Wally likes this.
  7. diasy2

diasy2 TDPRI Member

It’s a 66 bandmaster with no reverb - just vibrato - Which gives it an equal amount of gain stages - Not that I really understand electronics that well - it’s just what I’ve read on web

8. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Yeah, the two channels are in phase on a non-reverb Bandmaster. You're still just summing the stereo effect down to mono by using both channels, though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

diasy2 likes this.
  9. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Won't sound any different from single cable mono.

Doctorx33 and Wally like this.
  10. diasy2

diasy2 TDPRI Member

Sounds slightly thicker to me - give it a go

11. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

Yeh,stereo effects will all be summed mono.....but if you want to eq stuff differently,do the Fritz mod.Puts both channels in phase,and adds tremelo and reverb on both channels.
    I did it on my DRRI,and I love it.Each channel still retains a different tone.

Attached Files:

12. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Holic

I think with the Bandmaster, it would depend on the effect. I have a pedal (El Capistan) which sounds different when using 2 outputs then when you only use 1. Something like that *may* be a bit thicker, digitally, using the 2 channels of your Bandmaster. Most effects would just sum to mono though.

However, if you have both a DRRI and a Bandmaster to use... use them in stereo.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.