Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Step up from Baja Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by jcourtjr, Jan 14, 2019.

1. jcourtjr

jcourtjr TDPRI Member

Jan 11, 2019
    us
    So what would the next logical choice be if I wanted to go up in quality from the baja?

2. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Holic

Jan 20, 2007
    Lonk I-lant, New York
    I would consider just moving the neck and hardware over to a really nice nitro body!! Maybe a Glendale or Callaham bridge.

my Baja neck is on a lightweight swamp ash body, sounds great!

rze99 likes this.
  3. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Holic

Feb 4, 2016
    sw US
    Classic 50s or 60s in lacquer finish?

4. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Holic

Mar 1, 2011
    Beltway, USA
    Assuming it's a 50s Baja and you want to stay in the vintage realm, an AV, AVRI or AO. Anything else won't be a significant upgrade or it won't have the 50s vibe.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  5. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2003
    Santa Clara
    A strat! :D

Seriously, though - in terms of quality, probably an "elite" US tele? Is there something about the Baja you would like to change/better? Some specifics in terms of what you are looking for would be helpful.

Evil Funk and daza152 like this.
  6. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I LOVE the 50s Baja so this isn't to bash it in the least, but just a bit of disagreement. It's really a modern player adaptation of a 50's tele. I mean, its fat neck is reminiscent (and is the guitar's greatest feature IMHO), but the 9.5 radius isn't. The four way switching and S1 surely aren't anything like any 50s tele and the pickups don't have all that much of a 50s vibe IMHO. I mean, the Broadcaster pup does on it's own, but the twisted tele doesn't either on it's own or in combination.

If you want to get MORE period correct, I'd stay at the same level with either a Road Worn or one of the 50s series teles or go up in quality toward one of your suggestions. But it you want something really similar to the Baja with it's more modern options, I don't know if there really is anything???

-Ray

7. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Holic

Oct 1, 2017
    italy
    Another Baja of a different colour because it doesn't get any better than a Baja. ;););)

Teleterr, Tim S and LocoTex like this.
  8. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nov 27, 2017
    USA
    There's not much that Baja can't do that other US made guitars can't, so your looking at differences in weight, feel, neck shape, fret size, pickup...which are all player preference.

Take your Baja into a good guitar shop, spend an hour and A-B it with 4 or 5 guitars and then you can tell us what you like better.

9. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Plus a bone nut and (for me at least) ditch for 4 way and S1 switch, improved jack, compensated saddles.

The Baja neck is hard to beat for a production Fender. The Roadworn one feels even nicer.

irie and tlsmack like this.
  10. jcourtjr

jcourtjr TDPRI Member

Jan 11, 2019
    us
    trying to keep more options open for something that weighs 7.5 lbs and under. Seeing if a few more bucks opens the playing field. Prefer a 9.5 neck though

11. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    The Brad Paisley signature Tele is the way that I might go .

esetter likes this.
  12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, but the quality will be more or less the same.

I long for the days when you could go into a series of Guitar Center locations and get to try out in person, just scores of Bajas. In some ways the only thing that's better in quality than a 50s Baja is another 50s Baja. Otherwise you're going to lose the neck carve or the weird pickup switching regime and even if an AV52 or AO or PV52 seems better in many ways, in some other ways it won't be the same.

13. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Holic

Feb 4, 2016
    sw US
    Then it would have to be the AO 50s. It too has a fat neck with 9.5 radius and tall frets.

raysachs likes this.
  14. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    My least modded of my 3 50s Bajas is one that I removed the S-1 circuit from , kept the 4-way and pickups, replaced the PG with a thin Bakelite one and replaced all the screws with vintage style slotted head screws. To me, it has the aesthetic vibe of the Classic Blackguards with a little something different "under the hood", so to speak. I think it you put a 52 set of pickups in it, it would be even closer. I love that Baja neck more than anything and will continue to buy and mod Bajas as they come up for sale used.

raysachs likes this.
  15. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    Makes sense, and then if you really liked those features, I guess you could add the four way and S1 switches...

Teleterr and t guitar floyd like this.
  16. jcourtjr

jcourtjr TDPRI Member

Jan 11, 2019
    us
    Well, I went ahead and got a baja from sweetwater. 7lbs 6 ozs seems like a light one to me.

ladave, Bones, LocoTex and 2 others like this.
  17. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

Feb 13, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Upgrading most guitars would be a personal preferential task at best.
    Upgrading the 50's Baja, I don't know if that's possible.
    My 2006 is perfect as far as Teles go. Just a couple of steps ahead of my 52AVRI anyway.

t guitar floyd likes this.
  18. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Holic

Mar 1, 2011
    Beltway, USA
    I'm a little confused. You wanted a step up, but you just bought an equivalent. This isn't an opinion of the Baja, but an question on how you arrived at another Baja, when you appeared to say you wanted something better.

Evil Funk likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.