Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Step Out Shades of Carlos Santana on a Tele ?

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by mrmousey, Sep 22, 2017.

1. mrmousey

mrmousey Tele-Meister

Aug 6, 2016
    Largo, Fl
    My brother Jeff and I recorded this several years ago. I did guitar and vocals and he did piano, bass and drum programming. My friend Tom Baur shot the video, and Jeff edited it, adding other footage as well.
    I played it on my Tele, but at the time of shooting the video, was very enamored of my new Cordoba nylon string, and so used that in the video. If I were to do it again I would definitely use the Tele in the video, as that was what the song was played on.
    The huge tree in the background, sadly, was toppled in Hurricane Irma, and at the moment is hanging over the pond.
    Step Out can be seen and heard on You Tube at

NWinther, Jim622 and Alan L Cole like this.

2. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Tele-Afflicted

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Reminds me of Jerry Garcia, not Santana.

brookdalebill likes this.

3. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Tele-Meister

May 23, 2017
    NY
    That's what it's all about, family. Sorry to hear about the tree but that too, sadly, is life. Great video. Love the piano and guitar work. 'The Band' vibe for me with the vocals. Very sweet and nostalgic music - nice track!

4. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Really nice. A perfect tune for me to hear tonight. Thanks for posting. Yup, I can hear the Santana influence, but it is your voice that makes it so enjoyable for me.

5. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Love the sound of that piano.

6. decker

decker TDPRI Member

Jun 16, 2011
    spain
    Great sound, especially on the piano.Nice.

7. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Meister

Good tune - not reminding me of any one specific. Nice! Largo was one of my favorite Keys. Spent a lot of time down that way in another lifetime. Good luck - I hope your family made out well.

8. mrmousey

mrmousey Tele-Meister

Aug 6, 2016
    Largo, Fl
    In terms of the mention of Santana in the subject line, there was no attempt on my part to sound like Santana per se. It was more an acknowledgement of the influence, since several people had commented to me that it reminded them of Santana. Jerry Garcia was also a big influence. I never actually learned any of his material, but the influence was there nevertheless. We are all influenced by the people who inspire us, but after a time find our own voice. The influences can be heard but it's our own voice nevertheless.

9. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    Hey sounds really good- yeah I hear Jerry and that is a good thing!

10. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Tele-Afflicted

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Take it as you will. Saw Santana, heard hints o' Garcia. Can't go wrong with ol' Jer. Well, on a good night anyway.

11. NWinther

NWinther Tele-Holic

Jul 16, 2007
    Denmark Solbjerg.
    Love it!
    :) Really digging the vibe of the whole thing!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.