Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Step by Step Walkthrough

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by westaman, Jun 15, 2010.

1. westaman

westaman Tele-Meister

Feb 4, 2010
    GA
    Well.. I bit the bullet. I now have 3 cans of Deft waiting to sprayed. I'll probably hit it with #400 one more time to get a few more spots leveled, and then spray. I hope to be spraying on Sunday at the very earliest. Then back to the one month of waiting... I think it will be a better experience this time since I hope to be coming out on the other end with a better finish!

2. Guitarnut

Guitarnut Friend of Leo's

Jun 29, 2009
    USA
    I really don't think you need to sand again. What you're going for now is to rebuild the clear coats. Why take anymore off? There's no need to sand areas that are already flat.

Don't feel like you have to spray all of the coats in one evening. Lacquer dries very quickly and while it's best to wait several weeks before buffing, that's not the case for sanding. Spray 4 to 5 coats with a few extra passes in the trouble spots, wait 24 hours, wet sand. Repeat. What you'll see is that the areas that are already flat will need little to no sanding. The areas that are still an issue will require a bit more attention. Gradually these will catch up to the flat areas. This is a great opportunity to practice patience.

When all is flat, apply your final 3 or 4 coats and stick it in the attic for a few weeks. Wet sand, buff, polish, enjoy.

Keep us updated.

Peace,
    Mark

3. westaman

westaman Tele-Meister

Feb 4, 2010
    GA
    The only reason I was going to sand more was to knock down some of the trouble spots to start with a level base.

I have a couple of days before I can spray anyways, so I figured I would knock it down more if I could. I'm not going to put a ton of pressure on it, but just try to level the spots that i'm having trouble with.

I am also going to setup a way to try and block wind as I spray since I do all my spraying outdoors. Hopefully this will help control the quality of my spraying...

4. westaman

westaman Tele-Meister

Feb 4, 2010
    GA
    Got some minor sand throughs, so I'll put 1-2 coats of black back on it, level sand with wet #800. and Get on with the clear and level sanding.

There's a new issue to fix, which came after the sand throughs. My wife accidentally shut the closet door on it and put 3 minor dings in it on the edge of the stomach contour. This should prove fun to fix, but it helps a little that I was already planning to respray black. And the saga continues...

5. Guitarnut

Jun 29, 2009
    USA
    You're building a bit of a "layer cake" there. The new black coats are going to be only as deep down as the thickness of the final clear coats. Any future sand throughs or burn throughs will be a disaster.

Of all the encouragement I've given on this build, I offer this with the strongest hope that you'll take this advice. Strip it and start over.

Peace,
    Mark

6. westaman

westaman Tele-Meister

Feb 4, 2010
    GA
    I'm going to ATTEMPT to spray one thin coat of black, and I've got 3 cans of clear at my disposal to use. I'm going to give this a go since the black only needs to be thick enough to cover the couple of spots that are on the back. At this point my black is so thin it is basically my primer. So a super thin coat of black, then load it up with clear. Lots of level sanding inbetween.

That's the goal at this point atleast.

7. westaman

westaman Tele-Meister

Feb 4, 2010
    GA
    So far so good. Got a minor sandthrough when level sanding the SS used to fixed dings. I sprayed one light coat of black all over and two extra passes over the sandthrough. Looks great. Clear didn't go on well last night in a light pass. So I followed it up with 2 heavy passes, getting runs on the second.

For some runs don't bother me as much as orange peel. Its look great so far. I'm gonna level sand and spray more clear this afternoon. Repeat tomorrow and let sit for a month. Somebody out there say a little prayer that all goes smooth!

8. westaman

westaman Tele-Meister

Feb 4, 2010
    GA
    The level sanding is the best tool I've found for getting a smooth finish. I have noticed its difficult to get it completely matte with no shiny spots. But the clear lays down so smoother after you level sand each day. I'm putting the last coat on tonight after some intense level sanding!

9. westaman

westaman Tele-Meister

Feb 4, 2010
    GA
    Here is the finished project so far. Let me know what you guys think.

I probably need to go back with compound to get minor scratches out. I only put one coat of wax initially. Would you guys suggest anything to get minor fine/isolated scratches out?

I owe the current results totally to the input of people at this site!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. thefees

thefees Tele-Holic

Sep 8, 2010
    PA-US
    You were probably spraying in a humid environment so the outer layer had blush. Using a retarder to slow down the lacquer dry time will allow the moisture to leave. When buffing out blush finishes they come up nice for awhile, then the blush returns.
    With a spray can you have no control over so many things that you quickly realize how important getting a spray gun and having air is.

11. thefees

thefees Tele-Holic

Sep 8, 2010
    PA-US
    Well said!

12. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    looks mighty fine to me

13. westaman

westaman Tele-Meister

Feb 4, 2010
    GA
    Thanks guys! I'm hoping to get my neck soon...

Any advice on the best way to get the fine scratches out without going back to sanding? I only waxed it once, so I could try that I guess. Or would you guys suggest one of the 3 compounds to start with?

14. westaman

westaman Tele-Meister

Feb 4, 2010
    GA
    any help would be awesome with this...

The scratches and indentions from a towel are very minute, so I would have to sand and spray again to do all that and create more opportunity for something else to happen. But I would also like to get it as nice as possible.

Will prolonged swirl remover application get stuff out, or if it doesn't come out initially it probably won't?

I think I have enough clear on there where I could simply sand down and then buff it back out, but I would love some input.

Thanks guys!

15. Guitarnut

Jun 29, 2009
    USA
    If you're talking anout just swirk marks, sanding and buffing again would only be backing up. Use a swirl remover with the softest cloth you can find. Do a search of this forum and you'll find lots of brands to choose from.

Looks nice. Don't get too obsessed with swirl removal...you're very close to a real nice finish. As soon as you play it and dust it a couple of times, the swirls will be back anyway.

Peace,
    Mark

16. westaman

westaman Tele-Meister

Feb 4, 2010
    GA
    It actually looks like there was something on the cloth I used to wipe it at some point and they scratched in a straight line. Also, leaving it on a towel after buffing left towel indentions in it. They are small and not super noticeable, but there.

Just wanted to see what would possibly take it out if anything. Stupid DEFT!!!:mad:

17. westaman

westaman Tele-Meister

Feb 4, 2010
    GA
    Just a final update. It has a few minor issues, but overall I couldn't be happier. Let me know what you guys think!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Howlsthunder

Howlsthunder TDPRI Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Alaska
    Wow, that looks pretty sharp!
    I'm working on my very first build and finish job with an opaque color, too, and your thread/posts are very encouraging for me, thanks! :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.