Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Step by Step Walkthrough

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by westaman, Jun 15, 2010.

1. westaman

westaman Tele-Meister

Feb 4, 2010
    GA
    Anybody know of a good resource, either website or book, for finishing a neck and body?

I know nothing about it, but want to give it a go. I haven't seen very step by step threads here, just questions specific to where each person is in their process.

2. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 12, 2010
    Norman, OK
    Google search for "reranch 101" .

3. jwayne

jwayne Tele-Holic

Jan 28, 2009
    littleton Colorado
    reranch site is good but you should also read the thread here titled making your finish look like glass...Colt posts a good guideline that I am going to attempt to use - just got my 3lb5oz pine body yesterday!

4. Hollmanp90

Hollmanp90 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Hamilton County
    You need to decide exactly what finish your using and what feel and look your wanting........Lots of good info. here,including Colts.

Your best bet is to take notes........start with prep.
    What neck and body are you using ?
    Is it bare wood or is it a Mighty Mite that is sealed from the factory ?

Lots of ways to form your battle plan.......its what works for you.

5. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    What do you have, and what do you want?

6. westaman

westaman Tele-Meister

Feb 4, 2010
    GA
    I have an MIA Olympic white strat with a maple fretboard right now. I want to build a Black Rosewood authentic looking strat.

I don't know much about the process, but here's what I've figured out so far.

I will probably order from Musikraft for the neck atleast.
    9.5" radius will probably be the way I go.
    I want it to have a vintage tint, but I'm not sure if I should do it or have them do it. Is this what you meant by sealed from the factory? I assume the benefit of doing it myself is having the control over how much tint.

As for the body, I want it to black Nitro so it will relic quickly or easier than my Poly MIA. I just want an authentic body. This I was definitely planning to paint on my own. i wasn't sure if it made a difference when I'm finishing it, that I know I want it to relic on its own easily, as far as the process goes.

These are kind of the things I know. But I looked at Musikraft's Neck order form last night and I realize I don't have much figured out yet. Like what type inlay, and various specifications.

Did this give you a good idea of how lost I am in this process?

7. jwayne

jwayne Tele-Holic

Jan 28, 2009
    littleton Colorado
    westaman - I'm doing a similar thing as you are. I purchased a body and plan on finishing it myself but adding a already finished AllParts TMNF-FAT neck to it.

From what I've read if you have never finished a body before the first one might be a little rough on the eyes when you are done but practice makes perfect or better at least.

You want a Strat body and a Musikraft neck. What wood do you want the Strat body made out of. Different woods will require different prep work so it's important to know the wood so you know what lies ahead. For instance if it is Ash you would need to use grain filler on it if the body was purchased blank and unsealed. For pine you would not use grain filler but would raise the grain as part of the prep work. Is weight a concern on the body? For me it was so I looked until I found a body that was 3lbs5oz.

I started my research by reading reranch 101 - like a hundred times. Then began lurking on forums for info. Good luck

8. Old Cane

Old Cane Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 7, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    If you call them Scott can answer any questions you have. Also, if you decide on coming to guitar mill, call Mario and he can do the same.

9. Hollmanp90

Hollmanp90 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I say order up a Allparts body and neck.
    Get a Alder body.....It'll match up well with the rosey board and would be easier to finish.
    Doubt you would need a bit of filler on the Alder.

why Allparts over USACG?

because the USACG would need some shaping on the headstock to get it to look "authentic" .

If you go this route......some simple prep work and sandind is all that is needed to begin painting.

10. westaman

westaman Tele-Meister

Feb 4, 2010
    GA
    I want the body to be alder. I would love to get my neck and body from the same place if possible. I have no idea who does the most accurate shapes to fender.

I did just read reranch 101, and its a little overwhelming at first. I don't even know what half the terms are referring to! HA

The neck would be alot easier to finish than the body will be right? And maybe it can get me a little more used to the process.

Edit:Since this is my first paint-job, is Black a bad color to try?

11. jwayne

jwayne Tele-Holic

Jan 28, 2009
    littleton Colorado
    My understanding is darker colors are harder than lighter ones due to blushing. I'm a noob though someone else may have a better answer...

12. Barfly

Barfly Tele-Meister

Blushing occurs when the evaporating solvent cools the air temp below the dewpoint,Causing the moisture in the air to condense and get trapped in your lacquer making it cloudy.I have an old furniture guy in the area he suggests not spraying lacquer if the dewpoint is less then 20 degees below the air temp in an uncontrolled environment.May be BS but since using his rule haven't had a blush of any kind

13. westaman

westaman Tele-Meister

Feb 4, 2010
    GA
    how the crap do you figure out the dew point? Humidity?

14. Old Cane

Sep 7, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    weather.com

That said, yes, black is a hard color to make perfect. Or rather to make look perfect.

15. westaman

westaman Tele-Meister

Feb 4, 2010
    GA
    Would you advise a different first color or is it doable?

16. westaman

westaman Tele-Meister

Feb 4, 2010
    GA
    Just out of curiosity, at what point to drill holes for your various screws:
    Pickguard, Bridge, Jack?

I would assume after the body is finished, but then again I just based that off the assumption that it would just be more work along the way if you drilled the prior to finishing it.

17. Old Cane

Sep 7, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Well, the bodies I get (when I buy them) are aleady drilled. The cheap ones are haphazard and the good ones like MK, GM and I'm sure USACG are dead on. I fit the pickguard and control plate (on tele, cover plate on strat) after the finish and drill then, along with strap buttons.

I guess the simple way to say it all is; on a quality body you buy, it's ready to start the finish process.

18. westaman

westaman Tele-Meister

Feb 4, 2010
    GA
    Gotcha, thanks for that. How much work will neck require other than finishing? I realize I'll need to put the tuners on, string tree and finish it. But if I go musikraft, should I have to do anything with the frets? I was planning having them put the nut on for me.

19. Old Cane

Sep 7, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    You can have them install the nut but when you put it all together bring it on up and I can file the slots it for you. They can only ballpark a nut since it's not strung up.

20. westaman

westaman Tele-Meister

Feb 4, 2010
    GA
    Side note is Black the hardest possible color to finish with? Would Fiesta Red be any easier, or do I have the worst taste for my skill level?

I understand I'm gonna mess up and my first is not going to be perfect(or even close), but I don't want to pick an impossible color and get so discouraged I won't do another one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.