Steely Dan

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet again, Jun 15, 2019.

1. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I've always wanted to play Brooklyn (Owes the Charmer Under Me) on acoustic.

I just simplified it and wrote it down a full step - I can sing the original but it's up there.

I think it's workable - constructive criticism always welcome.

Let's all play this at together at 9 CST and see if we change the world or something.

[​IMG]

tomkatf and bcorig like this.
  2. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

And then there’s Everyone’s Gone To The Movies...

Deathray and brookdalebill like this.
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My favorite is Haitian Divorce.
    Wicked cool guitar playing by Dean Parks.
    My Old School, With A Gun, Charlie Freak, and Bodhisatva are all in my Top Ten, also

bcorig likes this.
  4. bcorig

Saw them in 2014 or 2015 at the Fabulous Forum. Walter was there but played mostly bass and didn’t seem well. They opened with Peg and then Walter went on a rant about artists getting ripped off on Royalties and how for years they’ve been forced to tour all the time to make a living. It was somewhat uncomfortable and then whoever was playing guitar launched into Reeling in The Years. Fagen was verbose and engaging and really seemed to be enjoying himself.
    For me they are second only to the Beatles. Derek and the Dominoes are #3. Note: OPINION ONLY

Deathray likes this.
  5. bcorig

With me it’s a matter of recalling the songs I don’t like which are, uh, er, ... let me get back to you on that.
    I went to Med School so there’s My Old School and there’s Beato saying that the lead on Kid Charlemagne is the greatest of all time and I find myself agreeing with him.
    As I said, I can listen to any song on any album up to Gaucho and stand amazed by lyrics, guitar work, rhythm, harmonies.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    brookdalebill likes this.
  6. bcorig

I’m going to learn this this week. I’m almost done with Lightfoot’s “Second Cup of Coffee” making real headway on “Don’t Take Me Alive”. Thanks!!
    I love the intro lead. I’ll figure that out now that I have the chord structure.

studio1087 likes this.
  7. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Bad Sneakers takes me back to some really, really great memories. Then again, all their songs do. I love 'em all - but it takes the right mood to dial up the Dan. The Mrs. is a big fan, too. Maybe with Father's Day and all, I think I'm in that mood ... so yup, I'm off to program the server for the barbecue and the rest of the evening ... Happy Father's Day, everyone! :)

studio1087 and bcorig like this.
  8. bcorig

Parker’s Band, Dirty Work, Rose Darling, Glamour Profession, Boston Rag, Night by Night... Good God I want to listen to it all at once. Hmmm, I wonder how THAT would sound?

studio1087 and brookdalebill like this.
  9. bcorig

The only one my missus is familiar with is Aja. I suppose if you’re going to like an album that’s a good choice.
    I played the hell out of their music in the late 70’s. Once had a fiancé on a trip to the Bay Area on I 5 tell me to “turn it off, it’s driving me crazy”.
    We never got married.
    Of course a few months later she attacked me with a piece of Chicago Cutlery so there’s that.

Deathray likes this.
  10. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

There is almost no better chord progression to jam on than Bohitsatva. Any note or phrase seems to work over the lead breaks. I tried a months back to learn the original solo note for note and ran out of attention span.. Just amazing period in music.

“Before there was Pro Tools, there were pros..”
    ~Jay Graydon

rz350 and bcorig like this.
  11. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

I really like them clever lyrics, great guitar work, love Show biz kids, dirty work, hey nineteen and so many more, beautiful melding of jazz, rock, blues into a sophisticated new type music. At least that’s how I see them,closest thing to jazz I like .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bcorig likes this.
  12. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

I used to hear Dirty Work on our local FM stations all the time but didn't know it was Steely Dan. Who sings that?

bcorig likes this.
  13. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

You guys seem to enjoy trying to learn the guitar parts on these songs. In the thread about the young girl on YouTube guys were giving her grief about doing that.

My question is: do you think she could learn these parts without tab and play them?

bcorig likes this.
  14. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

I was a big album guy in the '70s but I thought Steely Dan was strictly a pop radio group and was afraid that the albums would be filler with the hits selling them.

Glad to see that I was wrong and there is a lot of stuff to dig into.

I couldn't find a used copy of Pretzel Logic so just bought a used CD of it today.

bcorig likes this.
  15. tomkatf

tomkatf Tele-Holic

Lol... how cool is that???

16. Rumblur

Rumblur TDPRI Member

Funny this would show up today!
    A couple weeks ago I FORCED myself to listen to their entire discography. I never cared for anything I'd heard before, so I thought well make some deep cuts... NOPE. "Josie" is still the only song of theirs I can half-way stomach.

Last night at the behest of a friend I went to see a band, and they did several SD songs. Did them spot on like the record. Still sounds like crap to me!

I know they made legends of a few studio guitarists but I'm sorry... musically they do nothing for me. But I tried! I really tried!

17. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I always liked Rick Derringers lead guitar in this one, I don't really care about the subject matter, I just like the groove...

Believer likes this.
  18. tomkatf

tomkatf Tele-Holic

Their original singer, David Palmer... The sax solo (Jerome Richardson) kills me...

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  19. bcorig

Night By Night.

20. bcorig

I wasn’t one of those guys and all I can say is there is no way I could learn any of their work without a tab or YouTube or some interplanetary genius coaching me.

Owenmoney likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.