Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Static only on Paint

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by ARCTIC-boy, Jan 12, 2019 at 2:12 PM.

1. ARCTIC-boy

ARCTIC-boy TDPRI Member

Nov 28, 2015
    Toronto
    Hello.

I have dealt with static before on my Tele pick guard, solution was get rid of the pick guard.(actually love the look)

BUT,

I have a 88 Strat and the paint(original) has become static, pick guard is fine. But if I run my fingers across the body my amp starts to crack and pop like my Tele did when I touched the pick guard. The only solution so far was while in the studio was to have a damp cloth and run it over the body. As soon as it dried out it was back.

Does anyone have any suggestions other than repaint? Anything at all even if it sounds crazy!

Thank you for your collective help in advance!

Marcus

2. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    Try a dryer sheet! Yes, like the ones you throw in the dryer with your clothes. Just rub a fresh one over the surface. Here in the US the main brand is "BOUNCE" and it will make your guitar smell springtime fresh! :p I believe there are also anti-static sprays that can be found.
    Just My $.02,
    Gene

muscmp likes this.
  3. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Holic

Jul 1, 2008
    california
    gene is correct. i had a friend i recommended this to. he was allergic to the fragrance in the sheets. he bought the spray and it worked well for him.

play music!

4. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Never heard that with paint. Weird. The dryer cloth may work temporarily, but I'd check the wiring and shielding and shield it properly.

5. tessting1two

tessting1two Tele-Meister

Apr 13, 2014
    Southern California
  6. ARCTIC-boy

ARCTIC-boy TDPRI Member

Nov 28, 2015
    Toronto
    Hey Thanks for all the replies.

I tried tried the dryer sheet earlier today and it work a little longer than just straight water. I will try the no static wax and no static cloth next.

Cool.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019 at 6:51 PM
  7. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    @ARCTIC-boy
    My guess is that your static problem is being caused by your highly magnetic personality! You don't want to change that, now do you? :p

Just Bustin' On Ya!:D
    Gene

howardlo likes this.
  8. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2011
    Stoney Creek, Ontario
    Hey Arcticboy, I get the same problem on my Gibsons. It seems to me that guitars with nitro finishes are more susceptible to the static, especially in the winter with our furnaces turned on up here in Canada. I keep a bounce sheet in all my Gibson cases to use in an emergency.

Jamie_h likes this.
  9. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Holic

May 28, 2008
    netherlands
    something like turtle wax without silicons.
    with a strat you could also take some copper foil and cover the whole control cave piece on the pickguard including where the mounting screws come through.
    so possible static energy can flow to the GND

10. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Polish the guitar with guitar polish. Fwiw, this would have solved the problem with the pickguard as well.

SheldonP likes this.
  11. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    I m amazed that this is a thing ! I get PAINFULL static shocks just walking across a carpet sometimes , yet I ve never observed this. Then again I m not in Canada w dry heat. Just add some moisture to your air w a humidifier or even a tea kettle. It ll be good for your lungs too.

12. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2011
    Stoney Creek, Ontario
    Wally, I use Gibson guitar polish quite often on all my guitars but my Gibson Melody Maker and ES137 still both crackle and pop.

Teleter, I've put Oasis humidifiers in both of my Gibson guitar cases but they don't help. My Fenders dont crackle at all but they don't have nitro finishes. It should be noted that my guitars are always stored in their cases

Teleterr likes this.
  13. ARCTIC-boy

ARCTIC-boy TDPRI Member

Nov 28, 2015
    Toronto
    I don't think my guitar is nitro.

14. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2011
    Stoney Creek, Ontario
    I've read where Fender was spraying a coat of nitro over the poly but I can't see why they would do that. There are numerous threads about that in these guitar forums.

15. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    They do that only on the Reissues....whatever they call those today...AVRI??????

16. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2011
    Stoney Creek, Ontario
    The threads that I read were saying that CBS started doing it in the late 60s but I've heard different years for when they stopped doing this. I don't know...maybe I'm just muddying the water even more...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.