Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Static on new SG standard, come on Gibson, really?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by arielyitus, Feb 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    Also works wonders as a hat to ward off invading aliens who are messing with your guitar.

Tacotuesday and Piotr like this.

2. arielyitus

arielyitus Tele-Meister

May 4, 2016
    Clarkston, Mi
    OK OK, I over reacted.

I freaked out because I took a guitar out of the box and experienced such an annoying thing.

I have 5 guitars in the same house and none of them ever developed this.

I guess this thing is more common that I thought.

I used the dryer static sheets and the static got reduced to may be 20%.

Sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings :), but seriously ignorance and being pissed off made me trash G.

I still think there may be a reason for this guitar to get more static than the others.

3. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    There is a reason, it's new and slick. Wear and grime will tame the noise over time.

arielyitus likes this.

4. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston
    I wondered if that actually helped. This is probably crazy, but I hate getting that sheet goo on my guitar.

5. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2003
    Cochise, AZ
    This is the best solution I have found. It works great, but as the OP said it needs to be grounded with the rest of the grounds. On a Tele I put it under the front screw in the control plate. On the SG you'd probably need get it under a pickup mounting screw.

Andy B likes this.

6. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    I've never even thought about using a new dryer sheet on a guitar. In my experience, a sheet that has already gone through a dryer cycle works just fine, and it won't leave any residue on the guitar.

I've never put a dryer sheet under the pickguard, however. I just wipe the pickguard with it.

Coop47 likes this.

7. craigs63

craigs63 Tele-Meister

Aug 23, 2009
    Naperville, IL
    This should be a #$%& sticky on the forum.

8. horax

horax Tele-Meister

Jul 1, 2011
    colorado springs
    I had this happen on my MIM 60th anniversary Tele.

Took a dryer sheet and rubbed it on the pickguard and took it away forever.

arielyitus likes this.

9. Tele5015

Tele5015 Tele-Meister

Dec 29, 2015
    Holton,Michigan
    The reason for the static is the crappy PCB board it kept making static noises so I hand wired and now there is no static at all.

10. arielyitus

arielyitus Tele-Meister

May 4, 2016
    Clarkston, Mi
    I ended up returning mine.

Seriously I am not sure now if this is something you just have to live with or not. I have a 2013 Gibson LP Standard, American Stratand American Tele and none would show this static problem.

I never checked if the 2013 had the pcb or not, may be that is the difference.

I did try the dryer sheet on the SG and the problem was reduced but didn't go away and worst thing is it took away Gibson's smell.

Anyway, I am thinking in getting into a fight with my wife to try and get a good deal on those 2017 Gibsons which seem to be going down in price.

11. Tele5015

Tele5015 Tele-Meister

Dec 29, 2015
    Holton,Michigan

I just got a 2017 Sg they have the PCB boards and there was a static noise. So I rewired and put Manlius Fat dianes in it and now there is no static and it sounds awesome.

arielyitus likes this.

12. Frozendan

Frozendan NEW MEMBER!

Oct 6, 2017
    Chicago, IL
    Searched for Gibson static and ended up here. Just bought a 2015 Les Paul Traditional Limited Edition Mahogany from Sam Ash and I certainly noticed the static coming from the amp and was like WTF. I pulled my LP Studio out and no static. I thought it might have something to do with the metal nut, but I'll have to check for a pcb in the pocket. On a side note, the guitar does sound awesome, but unfortunately, Gibson fubbed the finish on the back. I would expect some flaws on a used guitar, but on a brand new one at this price, Gibson dropped the ball here.

asnarski likes this.

13. Andy B

Andy B Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 16, 2003
    Colorado
    My 83' Tele is much more sensitive to static than any of the others. I had a tortise shell pickguard that was impossible to live with on that guitar but was fine on another guitar. I tried shielding it, making sure it was grounded, that there was continuity from the pickup height screws to the control plate & so on. The solution was having Chandler make me a one piece black pickguard out of an acrylic material.

14. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Meister

Jun 30, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I bought a (used) 2016 SG standard a few months ago and did not have this static problem. The pickup selector switch, however, makes a staticky sound when moving the switch that can be heard through the amp. I can understand this if the guitar is older or not used for awhile, but out of the gate it had this problem and I don't think it has cleared up with use. Not a deal breaker, but I have had selector switches on cheap Asian guitars that worked perfectly for years, so not sure why this is tolerated on a Gibson. I have not bothered to apply contact cleaner or other solvent to it yet, but that is the next step before I replace the switch.

15. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I have an acquaintance who owns a CS 59 reissue Paul with this problem.
    It tortures him.
    He's a pro player/teacher and he has tried lots of, ahem, solutions, to no avail.
    I've had 20ish CS Gibsons, and never experienced this problem.
    I can't imagine it bugging me, too much.

16. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Holic

Nov 11, 2012
    Madison, WI, USA
    Knowcaster, the same switch on my 2016 LP 50s trib did the same thing, before going kaput. I purchased a Stewmac wiring harness to replace the board inside (was putting in new pickups), so I had a new switch anyway. Not a deal breaker, as I love the guitar, but a bit surprising.

No static issues here either.

Did the Standard have the board, or traditional wiring?

17. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Meister

Jun 30, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My standard SG has the original PCB. I haven't looked see if a standard replacement switch can be soldered in or if I would have to replace the whole thing with a new wiring harness.

kookaburra likes this.

18. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    When I bought my Historic 54 LP, though it sounded like the voice of god, it had a couple of smudges on it, and old strings. Gibson QC sucks!!!!

19. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2013
    DC Burbs
    Huh, my new to me 2013 LP Studio has this issue. Really loud too, but then I noticed my Telecaster had a little static snap. I had someone tell me it was the PCB board, but I might try this dryer sheet thing. Good advise. I like the guitar and don't want to send it back to GC.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.