Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Static on new SG standard, come on Gibson, really?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by arielyitus, Feb 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. arielyitus

arielyitus Tele-Meister

May 4, 2016
    Clarkston, Mi
    Hello,

I just got a brand new 2016 SG standard and plays great, sounds pretty awesome too, wait,, what is that cracking sound, could it be STATIC?

Yes it is, it sounds when I move the gitar body on my clothes, changed clothes, played without a shirt and the noises are still there.

You may think it could be the amp, or my electrical installation but no, I have a strat and a tele and I don't hear that crap.

I just sold my 2013 standard les paul and got this to kind of fill the empty space but I am very sad I got this.

Did some reaserch and I am very surprised to see how common this is. There is no reason why my other guitars are Ok but this one is not, other than quality control or a process/material at Gibson prone to this static problem.

Never buying a Gibson again...

2. arielyitus

arielyitus Tele-Meister

May 4, 2016
    Clarkston, Mi
    This is exactly the problembthat I have although it only happens to one guitar.

3. Tacotuesday

Tacotuesday Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2016
    Pacific NW, US
    When my house gets dry in the winter, I get static crackle from the pickguard on my tele. I wipe it down with a dryer sheet (which has wax) or use a bit of spray-on furniture polish (Pledge, etc.) and it goes away. I suppose you could put a very fine coat of paste wax on there too.

I'm guessing it's just that the plastic on your SG is new and susceptible to static buildup. Worth a try before you trash your guitar. :)

jimash, oyobass and arielyitus like this.

4. arielyitus

arielyitus Tele-Meister

May 4, 2016
    Clarkston, Mi
    Thanks, will try that

5. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Meister

Apr 12, 2011
    Stoney Creek, Ontario
    I have one Tele that gives me static from the pickguard. However, my Gibson Melody Maker and ES137 Custom both give me static noise from the body. The MM would crackle from running my hand up the neck. The ES137 gives me static on the pickguard as well as touching the body near the controls. I believe that nitro lacquer and dry air don't get along. ;)

arielyitus likes this.

6. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    Go to a dollar stop and buy a box of anti static dryer sheets. I rub the pickguards on Teles or Melody Makers and they are dead quiet for 4 months (and they smell terrific!). Great old trick taught to me by a great old guy.

Johnson johnson, oyobass and INFANT like this.

7. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Rhode Island
    1. It's winter. Air is dry so it promotes static electricity. Not Gibson's fault. It's physics.

2. Environment matters. Are you on a carpet? Does this happen when you're out on a gig? Not anything Gibson can do anything about.

3. Multi-layer pickguards, regardless of manufacturer are prone to static, again, especially in a dry static-y room. You'll get the same thing on any guitar. Try the dryer sheet thing.

4. Humidify your room.

And finally, do you think anyone actually cares if you ever buy a Gibson again? If you're really angry, pack that SG and send it over to me. I'll PM you my address if you like.

P.

Crawldaddy, Obsessed, ecosse and 3 others like this.

8. spauldingrules

spauldingrules Tele-Holic

Dec 8, 2006
    Kansas City
    I assumed this was a joke

brookdalebill and MilwMark like this.

9. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Meister

Apr 12, 2011
    Stoney Creek, Ontario
    I keep a "bounce" sheet in every guitar case. As soon as I hear static, I wipe the pickguard and neck.

Paul G. likes this.

10. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

+1 on the dryer sheet. You don't need to scrub the suspect areas, just lightly wipe. You can polish the gummy feel off with another soft cloth and it will shine up.

The other thing that can happen on guitars with pickguards, is the back of the pickguard has shielding and the cavities are shielded as necessary to close up the Faraday cage, is the pickguard has an ever so slight warp to it so that the pickguard is not contacting the cavity shielding. When touching the pickguard the gap is closed and a static-like pop is created like knocking a switch back and forth. Just run some more shielding or a tag of shielding tape in the problem area to fix.

11. arielyitus

arielyitus Tele-Meister

May 4, 2016
    Clarkston, Mi
    This sounds promising, I hope I don't kill the vanilla smell :)

So this is
    I guess your line of thinking should accept a deffective airbag just because time, temperature and humidity degraded it.

Don't you think analysis and testing could avoid this? This is addressed by very other appliance/product that is affected by static.

It is not rocket science, it could be avoided.

Anyway, I believe I may be triggering war here...lol

12. fuzzmullah

fuzzmullah TDPRI Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Norway
    It also might be that you have dry skin, especially in the winter (like I have). You could try some moisturizing cream on your hands to see if it helps, or try this old housewives trick: Take half an eating spoon of salt in you palm, add some olive oil and rub your hands with it. The salt will help to keep the moisture in the skin. It is rather unpleasant if you have any open wounds, though, and you might want to avoid using the mixture on your finger tips in order not to ruin the callouses on your fretting hand :)

Another trick is to have some green plants in the house - it cleans the air and increases air humidity.

I had the same problem on my Gibson Les Paul (nitro lacquer), and I shielded all cavities with copper tape: Pickup cavities, switch cavity, electronics cavity. Additionally, I sanded the back of the neck with fine grit sandpaper. Having nickel covers on the pickups helped too. I still get some static crackling if I scratch the neck (or the guitar body close to the electronics cavity), but I typically rest my hand on the bridge and that helps as well. Last, I've taken off the plastic pickguard, mainly because I prefer it not to be there anyway :)

INFANT likes this.

13. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Probably the intent to start another Gibby 'war', no?

I only get problems with my plastic guards. I've used the good advice from older threads (also shared here) to get rid of it.

14. misterdontmove

misterdontmove Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2011
    Connecticut
    Sometimes it gets so bad/dry in the winter that I take the plastic pickguard off my Sorrento to make the static crackle go away! Put it back on in the spring and all is well.

INFANT and Paul G. like this.

15. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Nice try. It's not a defect.

Play loud with other people.

Perceived forum problems melt away in the reality for which electric guitars are designed.

As an aside, methinks you guys need to humidify your abodes.

16. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Henry puts that sucky static in his sucky guitars because he's a sucky man.

Paul G. likes this.

17. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    It's the extra mojo charge Gibsons have. Sometimes the mojo sparks over.

18. JukeJointJunkie

JukeJointJunkie Tele-Meister

Feb 13, 2016
    West Texas
    Also try a sheet in the control cavity under the pickguard. The effect will last longer.

19. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2009
    Greeley Co.
    You've got to be kidding me. Blaming Gibson for static on your guitar. Shame, shame, shame. I hope you realize that your on a forum that's helping you with your naïveté grasshopper.

ac15 likes this.

20. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 11, 2010
    Montana
    Aluminum foil under the pickguard that touches a grounded bit.

Worked wonders on my Baja.

zook likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.