Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

Starting my first tele build...looking for advice

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by newuser1, Mar 1, 2017.

1. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    Then you must be making your teles about .6" shorter than normal. The string-thru holes are 5.15" from the bottom end, and a 9" drill press only has 4.5" between the post and the bit.

2. OtherJMac

OtherJMac Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Atlanta
    Nope! Using Ron's template. I mean, there's like 1/8" between the guitar butt & the post, but it works.

3. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

4. tortoisemon

tortoisemon TDPRI Member

Feb 26, 2017
    Colorado USA

5. RogerC

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    I'm confused how you're getting 4.5" to reach to over 5"

6. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Me too. I googled Ryobi 9" drill press and don't see one listed. You sure it's not 10"? They are listed.

7. MM73

MM73 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2015
    South Lyon, MI
    Try to get a grip on how perfect you want this to be...because that can drive a lot of spending on tools. Check out this nugget of info from the Excel list I made for my first build...

89 items purchased to build my guitar. Average cost was $14.20 each, spread out over the course of a year long build. Buy a spindle sander and place a couple tool orders to Stewmac, and you could be well on your way! $20 per week on "stuff" can add up fast!

No regrets though. I had my second build planned about 20 minutes after my first neck blank fit the body template.

Had I not jumped all in on another tool purchase this year, my second and third build would be getting done for not much more than the cost of materials.

tortoisemon likes this.

8. OtherJMac

OtherJMac Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Atlanta
    Apparently the Home Depot I was in recently had the signage wrong. The tag on it said 9", but online it says 10". Alternatively I'm going blind way quicker than I thought....

Anyway, the overall point remains that the basic $100ish drill press will work for the job.

9. tortoisemon

tortoisemon TDPRI Member

Feb 26, 2017
    Colorado USA
    I started with a small basement shop that's been perfectly adequate for other things and I thought would be fairly well equipped for making a guitar. I was only partly right. Since I first began contemplating this project I've been constantly upgrading and ordering new tools and supplies. I've also learned to do some new things with what I have. No regrets though. All of these new tools and techniques will be put to use on future projects... like my next guitar!

10. tortoisemon

tortoisemon TDPRI Member

Feb 26, 2017
    Colorado USA
    I have a Ryobi 10" and it's about 1/8 inch short of what's needed. What does yours measure from bit to support column?

RogerC likes this.

11. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Common advice use to be get a 12" drill press (minimum size) to get to those string through holes or bridge mount holes on a tele body . I double checked the string through measurements on a few CAD files I have and get 5.150" from the edge . A "true" 10" swing drill press will not reach , now thats not to say that there isnt a 10" press out there thats really 10.5" or 11" swing , there probably is , there are probably some that are only 9.5" swing too . If you are shopping for a press probably best to look at 12" presses minimum . If you are handy there are ways to adapt a 10" press as Marty has already posted .

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    tortoisemon and RogerC like this.

12. mudimba

mudimba Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

May 19, 2015
    California
    My first couple builds I had a DP that was too small, and it was still a very valuable tool. I used it to rough out the outline (because I didn't have a bandsaw), remove initial material from cavities, spindle sand, thickness sand, drill the holes I could reach, and make jigs for the holes I couldn't reach.

If you can get one that reaches all the parts of a guitar, that is great. But if you are on a budget and see a small one for free or really cheap, I'd still grab it. Plus, there are a million things around the house you can fix with a drill press. It is not a bad tool to own.

Believer and tortoisemon like this.

13. newuser1

newuser1 Tele-Meister

Mar 1, 2017
    Toronto
    Finally today I tried some of my new tools as the weather was nice and I was able to work outside on the deck. I tried cutting a template from 1/4" birch plywood and wasn't really impressed with the results (see the pic below). I cut the shape roughly with a jigsaw and then sanded with my new spindle sander, and now and need to finish the fine details with a file.

Any tips on avoiding chipping the plywood while cutting and sanding?

Any advice on a good set of files suitable for guitar making (both body and neck)?

I also used the spindle sander to sand down my experimental pine body, and the result wasn't that bad (see below). I need to finish the pine body with a file as well.

While I was working with the spindle sander the sandpaper sleeve of the largest drum was constantly going up and I had to stop the sander and push it back down. Is this normal? Is this because of lack of skills on my end - I was going too hard maybe in the parts of the body that required a 1/4" or more of sanding? Is this because this is a crappy sander (https://www.lowes.ca/benchtop-sande...gclid=COqTiYbg49ICFQmOaQodPo0Plw&gclsrc=aw.ds)

Attached Files:

14. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    newuser1 likes this.

15. newuser1

newuser1 Tele-Meister

Mar 1, 2017
    Toronto
    Thanks Marty,

I'll try finner blade, on my next template.

16. newuser1

newuser1 Tele-Meister

Mar 1, 2017
    Toronto
    For my first build I'm planning to buy a cheap neck, and was wondering if one of these would work?

https://www.amazon.ca/Kmise-Z3713-G...TF8&qid=1490024957&sr=8-1&keywords=kmise+neck

https://www.amazon.ca/Kmise-Electri...F8&qid=1490024957&sr=8-12&keywords=kmise+neck

or maybe just get a cheap DIY kit so I can use both the neck and electronics?

https://www.solomusicgear.com/product/solo-tele-style-diy-guitar-kit-basswood-body/

Any other vendors of decent and inexpensive DIY kits or just necks and hardware packs?

17. newuser1

newuser1 Tele-Meister

Mar 1, 2017
    Toronto
    Roger,

I'm trying to get rid of the warp on my experimental pine body and I tried using a sheet palm sander but is not working well :(
    I just put the body on a flat surface and tried sanding the 2 opposite corners of the body that weren't rocking (assuming they were higher).

What type of sander do you use to get rid of warps? Any guidance on how to approach getting rid of the warp?

18. RogerC

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    The typical way to handle it is with a drum sander, hand plane or a very wide bed jointer. Basically you just have to do anything you can to knock down the high spots. If all you have is a sander, then that's what you use with very coarse paper.

19. newuser1

newuser1 Tele-Meister

Mar 1, 2017
    Toronto

20. tortoisemon

tortoisemon TDPRI Member

Feb 26, 2017
    Colorado USA

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.