Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Starting a 6G3 slow build.

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by cap47, Nov 9, 2017.

1. cap47

cap47 Tele-Holic

Jul 27, 2014
    bushnell, fl
    Just an update: I haven't given up on my build. I may be side tracked a little adding New Equipment to my tools. So far a new router and now a cast aluminum router table. Various items from Rockler too. I have been reclaiming Cedar pieces from the Hurricane and now a have a bunch of 3/4" boards I want to tung and groove and glue to make some wide stock for some later projects. Kind of taking my time up and dollars I would have used on the new build. Also I am helping my Grandson finish his new PC desk that he is building. I hope to get back on it soon!

2. cap47

cap47 Tele-Holic

Jul 27, 2014
    bushnell, fl
    I finished putting the framework in the front panel area and propped the panels in position in the head cab.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Cedar looks good.

kleydejong and paparoof like this.
  3. cap47

cap47 Tele-Holic

Jul 27, 2014
    bushnell, fl
    Some more Progress today. Built support for a short back panel and drilled and mounted all Panels now. The next step is to disassemble and put the finish on the cabinet box.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    Nice. How did you get that mitered rake in the dovetail joints that I see in the upper corners on the face? What was your process?

5. cap47

cap47 Tele-Holic

Jul 27, 2014
    bushnell, fl
    It is the result of proper setup when routing the dovetails to the correct depth so that when the pieces slide together the material buts up in the back of the cuts and fits as a tight contour leaving no voids in the pockets. Then when the cut at an angle is made no voids remain.

6. cap47

cap47 Tele-Holic

Jul 27, 2014
    bushnell, fl
    So my cabinet is drying and I decided to mount all the Circuit Boards. I want to start populating them with components I have on hand to get an idea of what I need to order.
    Pay no attention to the 16 uf polarity as it was just shoved in for a cameo for now!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. cap47

cap47 Tele-Holic

Jul 27, 2014
    bushnell, fl
    Well the finish on the cabinet is looking good and essentially done. time to re-assemble and determine where top shielding positions.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. cap47

cap47 Tele-Holic

Jul 27, 2014
    bushnell, fl
    I added the shielding inside the head .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. cap47

cap47 Tele-Holic

Jul 27, 2014
    bushnell, fl
    Here I have reassembled the handle and a few of the panels. The chassis will remain out while I populate the rest of the boards .

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kleydejong likes this.
  10. cap47

cap47 Tele-Holic

Jul 27, 2014
    bushnell, fl
    I have populated the boards with what components I have on hand and now I will have to make a list of what I need to order.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kleydejong likes this.
  11. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2012
    United States
    Your cab is an absolute work of art.

cap47 likes this.
  12. cap47

cap47 Tele-Holic

Jul 27, 2014
    bushnell, fl
    I hope so I sure am taking my time at it! Now the fun part trying to get neat wiring and component placement with my 70 year old shaky hands :)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    trouserpress likes this.
  13. cap47

cap47 Tele-Holic

Jul 27, 2014
    bushnell, fl
    Ordered all the sockets today

King Fan and robrob like this.
  14. cap47

cap47 Tele-Holic

Jul 27, 2014
    bushnell, fl
    Got my sockets and they are in. Wired the Filaments between sockets. Going with parallel molded wire instead of twisting pairs. If it doesn't work for noise I will change it. I don't foresee a problem many others use this method. I still have a lot of stuff to order.

[​IMG]

15. cap47

cap47 Tele-Holic

Jul 27, 2014
    bushnell, fl
    I went to ValveTrain Amps today home of Amp Parts Direct to get my Classictone OT and some other parts. Wow they build some nice looking amps. I should have taken a few pictures. Located in Altamonte Springs, FL. about 1 hour and 20 minutes from my home, First time visit. Nice folks to do business with! All their amps are hand wired and built right there. While I was there I also visited Rockler about 5 minutes away from them.

Another thing; I had also ordered the PT from them a couple days previous and hopefully it will arrive tomorrow so both Transformers can go in and I also have all the caps and resistors for my filter board. Also the power cord, light socket asm., fuse holder and a few caps for the tone stack and about ten 1n4007s to have on hand since I ran out.

16. cap47

cap47 Tele-Holic

Jul 27, 2014
    bushnell, fl
    The PT just arrived time to get busy. First I am going to build a chassis stand that rotates.

17. cap47

cap47 Tele-Holic

Jul 27, 2014
    bushnell, fl
    I have the Trannies just setting in place. I am building a Amp Chassis Jig for assembly and it is just dry fitted . Round overs to do and some gluing and tomorrow it wil be in use.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    kleydejong likes this.
  18. cap47

cap47 Tele-Holic

Jul 27, 2014
    bushnell, fl
    I have the Chassis Stand together and working. Also added a scale to my Crosscut Sled.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kleydejong likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.