Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Starting a 6G3 slow build.

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by cap47, Nov 9, 2017.

1. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    I'm sorry, I didn't read this closely. It sounds like you are not covering it?

2. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    When you oil it, soak it down good the first day and let it dry. Lightly sand it the next day, leave the dust on it, and rub in more oil. Do it as many times as you want. It becomes it's own grain filler and will get smooth as a satin finish in a few days.

3. cap47

cap47 Tele-Holic

Jul 27, 2014
    bushnell, fl
    Natural wood.

4. cap47

cap47 Tele-Holic

Jul 27, 2014
    bushnell, fl
    I have some Cedar Branch pieces about 3 ' long, time to screw to a board and milling to a flat and square section to get some slats for trim around the outside of the grill cloth. It should be a contrast from the pine. I may rout a few places on the cabinet and glue in some 1/8' thick pieces. I will lay them on the cab to see how it looks before actually inlaying them.

5. jsnwhite619

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    If you're going for contrast, I would definitely use the linseed oil. This is radiata pine, a finished board from Lowe's. Nothing but boiled linseed oil on here, and the same sanding/oiling method I described above.

One coat.
    1512081533562.jpg

Today
    1512081627885.jpg

6. cap47

cap47 Tele-Holic

Jul 27, 2014
    bushnell, fl
    That looks fantastic about what I am hoping for.

jsnwhite619 likes this.
  7. jsnwhite619

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    The more fat/sap lines the better.

8. jsnwhite619

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    I just went back, and to clarify, that was the first coat in one picture, and SEVERAL coats later in the second. I'm talking about hours of sanding and oil, etc. Just wanted to make clear that it wasn't "one coat, this is that same coat today".

Basically, everything I have ever read online about boiled linseed oil is wrong. It will dry, it will build up, it will make wood harder and tougher, and brings out the grain better than 100 gallons of Tru Oil, and you can polish it to a gloss finish, and it is easy to touch up and maintain. Holland & Holland gunmakers in London have done it for a couple centuries, and their guns held up to every colonial jungle in the world. But, you can't do it over a weekend or even a week. It takes a lot of time and patience. But it is worth it with the right wood.

1512095099218.jpg

kleydejong and cap47 like this.
  9. cap47

cap47 Tele-Holic

Jul 27, 2014
    bushnell, fl
    This picture is not the same cabinet as the 1st two pictures, look at thr grain does not match.

10. jsnwhite619

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    Yeah, I know, that one is finished. But, it has 6 weeks of working and sanding on it. I was using it as an example.

11. cap47

cap47 Tele-Holic

Jul 27, 2014
    bushnell, fl
    And the towel doesn't match LOL ! Besides that I have plenty of time and that work doesn't bother me . Is it done yet ??? LOL

12. jsnwhite619

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    Good luck with your project. I was just trying to give you some pointers.

13. cap47

cap47 Tele-Holic

Jul 27, 2014
    bushnell, fl
    thanks I appreciate the help . It is always good to find new ways to do things . I'm trying to finish another project right now before I go on the rest the way With this cabinet . I am refinishing wood tool box for a friend for Christmas . I stained tonight and tomorrow I can put the sealer and be done with that .

14. cap47

cap47 Tele-Holic

Jul 27, 2014
    bushnell, fl
    This piece of Cedar was part of a branch I saved from the Hurricane debris. I started with a 6" limb diameter by about 3-1/2 ' long. This is just one of the slabs from it and I squared it and slabbed with my table saw. I sanded and polished all the pieces of various thicknesses and they are so smooth and shine and I do not intend to put a finish coat over them. I have pieces for the front of my Head cabinet too and some thin pieces if I decide to inlay to the cabinet sides or top. This wood really polishes up. You can't see the shine on the slab because the direction of flash natural project away.

[​IMG]

15. cap47

cap47 Tele-Holic

Jul 27, 2014
    bushnell, fl
    I had a dent on one end when I accidently tilted the block I was using when driving the glued pieces together so I did a Cedar Inlay over the spot and did the same on the other end to match. It was too deep to try steam to raise the grain so I made use of my new router and fence. Looks ok to me and will go with the Cedar front panel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. cap47

cap47 Tele-Holic

Jul 27, 2014
    bushnell, fl
    Routed the round over corners and sanded and buffed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dan40 likes this.
  17. cap47

cap47 Tele-Holic

Jul 27, 2014
    bushnell, fl
    I am now awaiting an order for parts that I need to Mount the chassis to the cabinet and I don't wanna do any finishing or anything until I have everything mounted and all the holes drilled in the cabinet and then I'll worry about finishing. I will then take everything apart and then prep for the finishing. I also need all these mounted in the chassis so I can determine where my front panel face plate is gonna go. From there I can determine where all the framework goes underneath the chassis to Mount the the front grill on. I will need a lower back rail so that when I store the end of the power cord that it won't fall out of the chassis. My parts should arrive tomorrow or the next day.

18. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    I usually buy my hardware, bolts, screws, nuts at the hardware store? Are those the things you're talking about?

19. cap47

cap47 Tele-Holic

Jul 27, 2014
    bushnell, fl
    No, the top mounting bars and screws come in a kit. I have a handle ordered and the Cap cover.

20. cap47

cap47 Tele-Holic

Jul 27, 2014
    bushnell, fl
    I got some hardware in and mounted chassis and handle temporarily. I had to, to know where to mount the grill supports and a small block each end to hold chassis for service without it dropping. I also want a back rail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a sample of Boiled Linseed Oil 4 coats. What do you think? Too dark? Once I do it I am stuck with it .

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.