Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Starting a 6G3 slow build.

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by cap47, Nov 9, 2017.

1. cap47

cap47 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jul 27, 2014
    bushnell, fl
    I just bought the boards for the cabinet for a 6G3 head. They are not a solid pine but pieces glued and joined to make a pine board. I think this is going to look great stained and sealed. Lots of grain and knot features and smoothed very flat boards warp free. I will be sourcing all the parts as I go and have the $$.

http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss59/cap47/2017-11/20171109_143330.jpg

2. cap47

Jul 27, 2014
    bushnell, fl
    [​IMG]
    Trying the image links because Photobucket has changed plans.

These boards come wrapped in plastic which is nice to keep them from stains nicks and scratches. Cabinet will be Finger Jointed and Pecan stained to match my 5e3 and 212 ext cab.

3. cap47

Jul 27, 2014
    bushnell, fl
    [​IMG]

It will match these,

FenderLover, Che_Guitarra and Fiat_cc like this.

4. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    Some boiled linseed oil on there a few days before you stain it will make the grain pop even more.

cap47 likes this.

5. cap47

Jul 27, 2014
    bushnell, fl
    Time to update a few tools for the build. My new router came in and now I am going to buy a Finger Joint/Dovetail Jig at Harbor Freight.
    [​IMG]

JuneauMike likes this.

6. cap47

Jul 27, 2014
    bushnell, fl
    My 6G3 Chassis and Face Plate have arrived so I can start planning and layout the wood for my Head Cabinet and cut to size. Will be after Thanksgiving. Need to go to Harbor Freight for one of their Finger and Dovetail guide tools. I want to try that instead of using Dado blades on my table saw.

Thanks Doug Hoffman for the fast fast shipping, 2nd Day!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Axis29 and jsnwhite619 like this.

7. cap47

Jul 27, 2014
    bushnell, fl
    Just bought these yesterday from Harbor Freight to use for my build. The Dovetail Jig will make it very easy for me with the cabinet. The bench is nice too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Awaiting Dovetail Bits.

jsnwhite619 likes this.

8. jsnwhite619

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    I'm interested to see what you think. I have a sled jig for box joints on my router table, but I've never used one if those.

9. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    Western Canada
    I like the table.

I also have one of those half blind router jigs. It'll do the job. We found that it required lots of measuring, adjusting, and more re-adjusting.
    Here are the half-blind joints on the right, that this jig will produce. Compared to traditional box joints on the left. If you are covering the cab in tweed or tolex nobody will ever know the difference.

[​IMG]

moosie and cap47 like this.

10. cap47

Jul 27, 2014
    bushnell, fl
    My last cabs I built a sled index jig with a dado blade on my table saw. I didn't clamp the work to make indexing faster but I definitely like how this tool clamps the board flat and secure while you run the router thru the guide fingers.

11. cap47

Jul 27, 2014
    bushnell, fl
    !st dovetail test piece.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Haytheman, Dan R and jsnwhite619 like this.

12. jsnwhite619

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    That will get it done!

13. cap47

Jul 27, 2014
    bushnell, fl
    Just finished the Dovetailing on my Amp Cab and made a box out of the test pieces yesterday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Haytheman, robrob and jsnwhite619 like this.

14. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    That's really cool.

I also did a sled for my router table and liked the way it came out. Probably spent most of a Saturday building and tuning it. It worked really well.

sled.gif

box.gif

Hopefully you are tooling up to make dozens of amp cabinets (or coffee tables and footstools for your house). Cause that jig looks like it would be a bear to dust off after a few years in storage under the work bench. ;)

Haytheman, Dan R and cap47 like this.

15. JuneauMike

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    Oh, and that bench looks really nice. Is it pretty stable?

16. cap47

Jul 27, 2014
    bushnell, fl
    Yes it is

17. cap47

Jul 27, 2014
    bushnell, fl
    All glued together. I set the cut off corner on the top of the cabinet and it kind of looks cool. Might figure a way to mount it so as to take it off and leave no top side marks. Racing Spoiler ! :);):lol:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Haytheman likes this.

18. cap47

Jul 27, 2014
    bushnell, fl
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After rounding cab corners it probably won't look right as a Spoiler.[​IMG]

Haytheman and JuneauMike like this.

19. cap47

Jul 27, 2014
    bushnell, fl
    Doing a little dovetail end trimming and sanding surfaces and I am really thinking of not radius cutting the corners. I have been getting saw marks out and sanding the corners and I have sanded rough to fine and the corners look great with just a small roundover from the sander and the whole thing buffed with 3M White 2500 Grit pad. I may just use boiled linseed oil and forget the stain. Seal it with Polyurethane and buff with White 3M pad. I will see how it looks after oil but, I have more to do before I get to putting oil on.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Haytheman and jsnwhite619 like this.

20. JuneauMike

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    Hmm. If you are covering with tolex than rounded corners makes the job easier, increases the likelihood that it will come out well and offers its own bump protection.

Sharp corners may lead to tearing the tolex later down the road as you bang the cabinet against literally everything you pass. As careful as I try to be when I carry an amp, I can't lug it across the living room without bumping it against something. Weird how that works.

cap47 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.