Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Starting a 5F11 Vibrolux build - bias question

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by jsnwhite619, Dec 12, 2016.

1. dankilling

dankilling Tele-Afflicted

Oct 28, 2014
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Biasing this circuit too high will affect tremolo function and can cause extra wear on your power tubes as the current swing happens. I don't set my power tube bias above 65% on my builds for this reason

King Fan likes this.

2. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    Yeah, it took me a while to get it low enough for the tremolo to work right. I've since learned that the speaker didn't carry enough bass itself to transfer the effect either. Plugged into a more bass heavy speaker dramatically increased the sound of the tremolo. I hope the CRex will take care of that, and I have a bias pot on there, so it shouldn't take much to tweak it for the best of both worlds, maybe.

King Fan likes this.

3. King Fan

King Fan Tele-Afflicted

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    Yeh, IMHO 65% (or 70% if you think it sounds better) should still allow trem to function.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. jsnwhite619

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    Well, I finally got my tremolo straightened out. As usual, it was user error. I had the leads reversed from the depth & speed lugs going back to the coupling caps. Found it with my continuity tester. Swapped them around and it is amazing!

Here is a quick clip I made with it. I now understand what people mean when they call the 5F11 tremolo hypnotic.

I also did a demo of the overdrive that got posted in a different thread about the speaker, but I'll add a cell clip of it on here too.

Complete Cannabis Rex demo.

King Fan likes this.

6. King Fan

King Fan Tele-Afflicted

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    Excellent build, excellent demos, excellent trem, excellent drive!

jsnwhite619 likes this.

7. jsnwhite619

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    Thanks! I can't believe it has taken SO LONG! If I can get some shellac on that tweed cab this week, I think I'll finally be done with this project.;) That one in the video is just an extension cab with the C-Rex in it right now.

8. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2012
    United States
    Dude! You and your amp sound absolutely killer. That is a very sweet tremolo.

jsnwhite619 likes this.

9. jsnwhite619

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    Thanks! I love it! I've recently realized that I always liked my 5E3, but I love this Vibrolux. It has got to be the sweetest amp I've ever owned, and probably played. The tremolo is still stock -- I just have it hooked up correctly now...haha. It's incredible though, you can feel it.

I'm really happy with the Cannabis Rex too. It's loud, for sure (I had earplugs in for my demo clip), but it has the cleans & the dirt with no problem. I also like it because I've learned that I like good treble in the signal chain for punch, but I like it overdriven or compressed early on. Some amps/speakers seem to add a boost in the high frequencies that add extra brightness/sharpness to the tone at the end that I just don't care for. This one keeps things pretty warm, but still punchy. If I can find my dB meter, I want to do some comparisons on the volume. It is LOUD.

On my Soundcloud demo above, approx. time sections are
    0 - 1:30 is bridge rhythm going from 2-12
    1:30 - 2:00 "Feelin' Alright" jam
    2:00 - 3:20 neck rhythm demo, same as bridge
    3:20 - Blue Sky
    4:00 - Funk #49
    4:30 - Rock Me Baby
    5:20 - Merle Haggard
    5:40 - Parlor pickin'

Tone was always on 6. Volume ended at 6 on clean parts, 10 for dirty.

10. jsnwhite619

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    After some extra research online I'm doing the shellac on this one a little different. The Amber tends to soak into the seams and leave dark spots. I don't know why it never occurred to me, but I found a thread on some forum where someone said a guy from the 50's told him that they always clear coated then sanded before any Amber shellac to avoid the discoloration problem. So today I got a few coats of clear on there, but I still haven't sanded yet. I'm actually surprised that I like the clear look, but I'm still going to add the Amber for that vintage look.
    1500094199865.jpg

The panel slid down, and I instantly saw a smiley face I've never noticed before, so happy Tweed Friday!
    1500094257325.jpg

robrob and jhundt like this.

11. jsnwhite619

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    Stick a fork in this one -- it's done! A really big thank you to everyone who stuck with me and helped out! I still have to get or rig up a foot switch for the tremolo on/off, but, hopefully that is all that's left.
    1500312175877.jpg
    1500312248216.jpg
    1500312255263.jpg
    1500312261663.jpg

Axis29, D'tar and robrob like this.

12. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2012
    United States
    It looks fantastic. Congrats.

jsnwhite619 likes this.

13. King Fan

King Fan Tele-Afflicted

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    Good point about clear base coat on the shellac. And you've got just the right amount of tint in the final coats. Great job overall!!!

jsnwhite619 likes this.

14. jhundt

jhundt Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 23, 2003
    Netherlands
    You made a very fine and beautiful amp... a job well done!

jsnwhite619 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.