Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Starting a 5F11 Vibrolux build - bias question

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by jsnwhite619, Dec 12, 2016.

1. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    I finally had some time to mess with it again today, and after reading lots of other posts about them, I got my bias down enough to really let the tremolo shine through. I've never played any other amp with tremolo except my old Delta Blues, and I think my expectations were off. I liked the Peavey, but it seemed to really cut the guitar signal & volume if you turn it too high, where the 5F11 is opposite -- it seems to let the guitar punch through and then it's more of an ambient effect. I like it. I'm probably still going to do the mod to slow things down, but it's really come through now.

My voltages I ended up at today are
    384v - plate
    19.8mA @ #8
    54.3% dissipation
    -34 bias voltage

I'll post a clip later.

robrob likes this.

2. jsnwhite619

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    Ok, here is a quick clip. Mainly just to sample the Tremolo, not a real demo.

EDIT: I copied the wrong link to the video earlier. Here is the correct one.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017

3. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2012
    United States
    You and the amp sound great, congrats on a very nice build.

4. jsnwhite619

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    Thanks! I posted the wrong link though. I just edited the post with the correct video link.

5. King Fan

King Fan Tele-Afflicted

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    Nice, Jason. Yes, do the slow-down mod, and then do a Google search for great tremolo songs. From Duane Eddy to the Stones to Beck and Radiohead there are a ton. I built my PR for the reverb -- but I'm keeping it for the trem. It's a great effect. As you'll know, one of the best uses is just enough intensity to be rich but subliminal.

Great looking amp, BTW!

jsnwhite619 likes this.

6. Emresound

Emresound Tele-Meister

Apr 25, 2013
    Sydney
    Sounds really nice. What speaker do you use for this one? It's got a bit of a woodie tone than mine. Might be the microphone too!

7. jsnwhite619

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    Thanks. I guess I should have given more details. I haven't built the cab yet. This was plugged into my Pro Jr cab I built and into a Warehouse Veteran 10. I really like that speaker and it's only $41. Warm & woody would be a good description.

8. Emresound

Emresound Tele-Meister

Apr 25, 2013
    Sydney
    I like the sound of the vet10, might have to try one some time!

9. jsnwhite619

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    They have a nice breakup too. Only 20 watts & 94dB, so it keeps the volume down a little when you crank it up.

10. robrob

Dec 29, 2012
    United States
    You and your amp sound great in the new video too.

11. jsnwhite619

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    I had a chance to do a couple more clips today. I was worried that with the lower bias setting to help the tremolo I would lose some of the gain....I don't think I have to worry. Les Paul with amp volume & tone on 6, Tele had amp vol on 8, tone on 6. With it cranked up, the Pro Jr. cabinet & 10 does sound really boxy, but it's smaller than the stock 5F11 cabinet anyway. When it comes to the final cab between a 10" or 12", I think it's kind of like putting a 305 under the hood when a 350 will fit...no replacement for displacement.

First one with the Les Paul. I haven't been playing live lately, and boy, my pickup swaps are RUSTY!

Some Keef with the Tele, amp on 8.

D'tar likes this.

12. jsnwhite619

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    I know that I have been dragging this thing out, but I figured I would keep on with this thread.

I finally got the cabinet started this weekend. I found a local, private lumber supplier where I got a great deal. Normally, the kiln dried, knot-free, good quality 1x12" at the chain store is around $35 plus tax - closer to $40. This is harder & denser wood, and I got a 7 ft 1x12" for $21 after tax. I planned to Tweed it the whole time, but I tried some B.L.O. on an end cut, and it sure is looking good!

I did a 5° angle on the cabinet slant. I know it's more than the standard Deluxe type, but the Champ plans I found had a 5°. I started with a true 1x10" after I ripped the 12's, so the base is 10", the top is around 8-3/4". I figured it would help direct the sound to me and away from any pesky sound guys....Haha. 1492561237069.jpg

With some linseed oil after a couple days.
    1492561244057.jpg

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    robrob likes this.

13. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

Jan 7, 2011
    Washington, USA
    Is that Southern Yellow Pine? The in laws did their downstairs floor in that stuff, and it is definitely hard. That will be pretty cool looking. There is no avoiding the "pesky" sound guys, as much as you try……….

jsnwhite619 likes this.

14. jsnwhite619

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    I think it is. The guy at the store called it "Arkansas pine", but I searched for that on google and didn't come up with anything, so, it may just be high grade yellow pine that came from Arkansas. I just finished a table for my brother in law with boards my dad had sawn up, and I hand planed them. It looks great, but if I had known this was available for $2.98/ft, I would have saved a LOT of time on his table!

As for the hardness, I didn't notice too much difference when I was cutting the joints, but when I used my template and guide bit on the cutout today, I could tell a big difference. I don't know how many passes it took to get to the template, but it was a lot of them. I can feel the difference in the weight -- probably a pound or two heavier than the stuff from Lowe's. I'm 99% sure I'm going to tweed it, but at least I know where I can get some good looking wood in the future for half the money.

15. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Tele-Afflicted

Dec 11, 2009
    Bloomington, MN

16. jsnwhite619

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    I thought I would share an idea I had today. I made a template to be safe, and it occurred to me that one template could cover a lot of ground. This one is center marked for the 5F11, but I did a pair of "center lines" for a 5e3, and will do more for any other models. Just line up one side and use my guide bit, then move it over and use the other after lining up the correct "center line". I have the 1" radius and front to back spacing set for any Tweed style I want now, I just have to adjust how big the cutout is, and clamp it down. The mounting holes would work for tweeds back to front spacing, but I don't know if the distance from the cutout is universal on them or not.
    1492656169283.jpg

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    robrob likes this.

17. jsnwhite619

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    And, one more pic for the night. 1492658224718.jpg

18. robrob

Dec 29, 2012
    United States
    That's too nice to cover.

19. jsnwhite619

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    Don't do that to me now! Haha! I've only done tweed on friends' amps and I don't have one, so the plan was to finally have my own proper tweed. But, yeah, it's going to be a shame. Maybe it will be like when someone pulls up the carpet in an old house and finds beautiful hardwood floors. One day when the tweed is hanging off of this one, my kid can pull off a piece and say, "This was under here the whole time?" :D

robrob likes this.

20. jhundt

jhundt Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 23, 2003
    Netherlands
    Tweed it! yeah, right now you're thinking it looks great, you're just brimming with enthusiasm. But really it looks like the interior finish on a 1970's DIY kustom van conversion.

robrob likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.