Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Star Trek The Original Series

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 7171551, Nov 23, 2018.

1. CalebAaron666

CalebAaron666 Tele-Meister

Dec 2, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Star Trek TOS was/is the best television show in the history of television shows. Warts and all.

(Not a profound statement, but I just noticed the thread and got excited)

7171551 likes this.
  2. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    I had to look up TOS. ya

So from wiki

Television series

Forgot about enterprise. Was not bad early stuff, but they got stuck in some loop with same issue, same bad guys on blowing up the earth at end. got boring quick.

Have not seen 3.7,3.8,or 3.9

3. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
  4. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Funny to see this thread.

I'm 41, never really got to see much of the original series.

I was like 10 when TNG came out, got to see some of it, but we didn't watch that much TV at home, still don't. I really liked a lot of TNG because of it's better production values, and Patrick Stewart was always amazing.

My son is 6 and I recently let him start watching TOS on streaming video, it's very tame compared to a lot of modern TV, even a lot of kids programming these days is non-stop violence with no consequences.

Star Trek did an amazing job through most of it's run with showing that actions have consequences...

My son really likes TOS and I am finding I enjoy it too. I could care less about the hokey production values, story is what counts.

Stories are so ridiculously dumbed down these days across the board.

I could never get into DS9 but liked Voyager a lot... I'm not sure what all the hate was about Voyager. I always found the doctor the most annoying character, I sometimes wonder if the show got flak because the crew had a lot more women. I liked the 7 of 9 character too. Interactions between a "rescued" former Cyborg and an AI doctor is great Sci Fi in my opinion.. Sci Fi is best when it takes you outside the normal bounds. And I *love* the Borg stories, and Voyager explored that more than most of the other series.

The new movies are fun but suck too.. they are brainless and the crew is off destroying everything and there are no consequences, like all the other dumbed down movies/TV today.

ahiddentableau likes this.
  5. Cesspit

Cesspit Tele-Meister

Oct 16, 2014
    Oxfordshire England
    As a kid in the UK there was nothing else like it, I was hooked. When the re runs came I saw the magic between Kirk, Spock and Bones. That relationship has kept TOS alive to this day. JJs films, especially the first, have come very close to that magic.

6. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nov 5, 2015
    Dee-troit City
    The one thing I noticed the last time I looked at Star Trek was that the ground is always smooth and polished. Even when the scene took place in a cave, they didn’t bother to do something to disguise the studio floor ;-)

AAT65 likes this.
  7. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    And great comedy once in a while, as I stated above per Season 7; Episode 7 'Body and Soul'.

8. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    In order...

Have every episode... Some on both VHS and DVD

TNG
    Voyager
    TOS
    Enterprise

Yep. I'm a fan.

Never got into DS9... Yet.

I tried the new Discovery series but they seemed to have added so much CGI diahorrea it was a unwatchable.

CalebAaron666 likes this.
  9. CalebAaron666

Dec 2, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Discovery was NOT Trek to me. Couldn’t get into it.
    DS9 really comes into it’s own season 4. Try it there. Worf joins the crew!

Instead of Discovery, I watched The Orville. It’s got comedy, but it’s NOT spoof. It’s more like TNG than anything else. Great entertainment.

RLee77 likes this.
  10. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    I'm totally enjoying The Orville as well. As for Discovery, I've only seen the initial episode.

11. CalebAaron666

Dec 2, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Yep, i watched the pilot episode of Discovery, and it left a terrible terrible taste in my mouth. Just lacked the Trek spirit and philosphy. And what’s with those Klingons?! I decided it’s best to leave it where I found it.

eclecticsynergy likes this.
  12. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Both for me, I'll take it all. ;)

Discovery was more Dark Matter than Star Trek to me.

It's not like the entire franchise has been less consistent with any other species.. not. ;)

13. CalebAaron666

Dec 2, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Yes, the Klingons have gone thru changes, but if Doscovery is supposed to take place 10 years before Kirk’s 5 year mission, then they probably oughta look like TOS Klingons. Also, if this is only 10 years before TOS, why is Sarek the same age as his son when the main charactor talks to his hologram or whatever? Lame.

14. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Like Romulans then. ;)

I musta been snoozing, did not catch the Sarek incongruity.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  15. CalebAaron666

Dec 2, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Yeah, if Discovery is 10 years before Kirk’s 5 year mission, Spock was most likely already on the Enterprise as Science Officer under Capt. Pike. So his Dad would not be as young as that jerk she was talking to.
    Lame.

robt57 likes this.
  16. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Spell checker got me there, "Romanians" LOL

No temporal explanation built into the story line, et al. :cool:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  17. Guitarteach

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    JatlhHa'law' SuvwI' mamob'a' 'ej telecasters reH Hoch warp chaH may' tlhInganpu'!

uriah1 and RLee77 like this.
  18. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    It’s all fun and games until someone starts speaking Klingon...

AAT65 likes this.
  19. Guitarteach

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    Depends on which dialect

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.