Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Star Trek The Original Series

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 7171551, Nov 23, 2018.

1. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Speaking to both of these points. Body and Sole was Season7 Episode 7. This to me was the funniest, Robert Picardo plays the HalloDoc fwiw.

Jerry Ryan showed some non 7 of 10 drab character portrayal, in that of the Doctor's persona due to the doctors hallo-program hiding out in a borg implant of hers. It was 1st time I saw Jerry Ryan as more than a one trick pony. Hands down my favorite Voyager episode, and there were not too many if I am honest.

2. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Agree w AAT65 on DS9 completely. Not to mention on the STNG episodes he sites.

BTW, Darmok seemed to me like a lot better re-write of the TOS: Gorn 'Arena' episode.

AAT65 likes this.
  3. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Holic

May 6, 2018
    Uknown.
  4. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Tele-Afflicted

Mar 21, 2015
    Omaha
    A lot depends on the scanning. It took them 3-4 years to do high resolution scans, from the original negatives, of the entire Star Trek Next Gen series. I do not believe that they've taken the time, or the care, with the "high-res" scans from the Original Series.
    I have the Blu-Ray discs of ST:TNG and they're pretty awesome.

AAT65 likes this.
  5. ahiddentableau

ahiddentableau TDPRI Member

Jul 8, 2018
    Middle of Nowhere
    I completely agree with your TNG picks. The Inner Light gets my vote for the best Trek episode of all time. Darmok is also right up there. But I'd add a few more.

The Measure of a Man - inexplicibly good, especially given how bad the first two seasons are
    Half a Life - guest star David Ogden Stiers--is very good.
    The Wounded - also excellent--lots of Colm Meaney and Bob Gunton can't go wrong. As you say, TNG has some better actors, so it's not surprising that a lot of the best TNG have great guest stars. Gunton in The Wounded. Jean Simmons is The Drumhead. Paul Sorvino in Homeward. There are some good ones.
    The Ensigns of Command
    The Most Toys
    The First Duty
    I Borg

I also really like Violations, and I was impressed by The Outcast. Saw it recently and was unnerved by how topical it was. Pretty hard to believe how ahead of its time the show was on that one.

You wrote that DS9 is "harder to dip in and out of"--talk about hitting the nail on the head. That's perfectly put, and a much better way of what I was trying to say when I said it's more like a soap opera. The characters are stable and develop and grow in rational arcs in DS9. You don't really get that in the same way with the other series, allowing for some TNG exceptions.

I agree that the quality of the cast in Discovery is a big step up from the last couple series. I just dislike how they built up so many characters just to tear them down. Lorca especially.

AAT65 likes this.
  6. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    I don't remember Mythbusters testing whether or not anything from the Darmok episode could actually work in real life. Gorns RULE!

AAT65 likes this.
  7. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    True, for me DS9 twice in a few years was a binge watch both times pretty much. Although I found Cul De Sac tiring both times. I think DS9 fans know to whom I refer. Also thought Nurse Crachet phoned it in.

Voyager I actually skipped partial season later in the series. And instead of a re-watch after a year+, went back and filled in the ones I missed.

ahiddentableau likes this.
  8. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    I stopped into Quarks in Las Vegas while it was around. Had a romulan blood ale. That was a long time ago and that was fun.

9. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

All good TNG picks there... there are more great episodes: how about Yesterday’s Enterprise, The Best Of Both Worlds, Data’s Day and the closer All Good Things... is there a dry eye in the house when Jean-Luc sits in on the poker game and is told he would always have been welcome?

“...and the sky’s the limit.”

On Discovery — I think they have struggled a bit with tone in season 1, but the writers say season 2 will get closer to what we’ve been used to. Wait and see! I found Season 1 a bit of a mixed bag but it really did get going from midway.
    We have not seen the last of Lorca, btw - Jason Isaacs has been filming for season 2 - but whether it’s flashbacks or the prime universe Lorca reappearing is yet to be seen.

10. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    I've mentioned here before I think...

I found out in a roundabout way that a good mechanic I know was one of the kids in my favorite original Star Trek episode where they do the weird cult chant to summon the angle. I believe his dad was the angle too if I remember correctly.

My mind was blown.

11. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    The angel was a very famous lawyer at the time named Melvin Belli. I'm pretty sure it was his only acting gig.

Did your mechanic ever mention that his father was a famous lawyer?

stevemc and AAT65 like this.
  12. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I must be a fan of cheesy because I like them. Of course I also like Forbidden Planet and THEM! and Dracula and Frankenstein and 2001 a Space Odyssey and Planet of The Apes and The Day The Earth Stood Still and Star Wars and Logan's Run and They Live and The Thing and and and ...my wife thinks I have the worst taste in movies ever.

13. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    That's right. No he didn't but I knew that after I was told. I looked up his dad's info.

His name is (Melvin) Ceaser. Great bike wrench & great guy. It still rocks my world when I think of how old I was when I saw that episode & that our paths crossed one day.
    http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Caesar_Belli

AAT65 and soulgeezer like this.
  14. ahiddentableau

ahiddentableau TDPRI Member

Jul 8, 2018
    Middle of Nowhere
    I think they didn't just struggle with tone, they struggled with content. I agree that it started a bit shakey and then got much better in the middle of the season. I liked the middle of the season quite a lot. That Harry Mudd episode was the high point for me. When it started I thought, "Oh man, a time loop?! That's so tired!" But it ended up being the best episode of the season. It was a lot of fun.

But I think the mirror universe idea is a disaster. They spent most of the season building characters that were relatable and interesting and then they literally destroyed them. Only Burnham survived. Lorca is actually a psychopath. Ash is actually a...I still don't really know what the hell they're trying to say with that one. Or more truthfully, I think I do know what they're trying to say with that but I don't like it. Something along the lines of identity is immutable, you can't escape your identity, and that identity must be understood in the most rigid, postmodern/academic orthodox way possible. Which is essentially the antithesis of everything Star Trek has ever stood for--all the universialism and optimism...it turns out I really liked that. I'm so sick of irony. And cynicism. And Star Trek was like a refuge from that. I guess I ought to stop because this could turn political pretty easily and I'm sure I'm not alone in dreading that idea. I guess I'll just say that while Star Trek has always been into making political statements, I think those particular choices at the end of the first season of Discovery were big mistakes. And I'm not sure if/how they can fix it.

AAT65 likes this.
  15. DFB1

DFB1 TDPRI Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Denver
    Scotty and Uhura made it back always.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  16. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Sorry, I Just Don’t Get It.
    Lame drek, IMO.

17. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    I don’t recall this Lame Drek series you speak of... what network was it on?

18. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Lame Drek was a character from a lost episode!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.