Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Star Trek The Original Series

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 7171551, Nov 23, 2018.

1. ahiddentableau

ahiddentableau TDPRI Member

Jul 8, 2018
    Middle of Nowhere
    I totally know where you're coming from with this, but in my case at least, it's not true. When I was a kid I hated Star Trek. I thought it was stupid, silly nonsense. But years later I really got into it. The gateway drug in my case was an obscure book my older brother had by Harlen Ellison about the classic TOS episode "The City on the Edge of Forever." The book contains Ellison's original script--which is excellent--but the front half of the book is one of the most incredible tabloid style essays I've ever read. In the essay Ellison details his time as a Star Trek writer and holds forth on everything Trek-related. It's written in the most masterfully bitchy prose style I've probably ever read, and is basically entertainment gold all the way through. I can't recommend it highly enough if you're a Trekkie.

AAT65 and richa like this.
  2. ahiddentableau

Jul 8, 2018
    Middle of Nowhere
    Maybe I'm alone, but I'll put this out there, too:

I love the original series, but it's really uneven. Some absolutely brilliant episodes like COTEOF, Amok Time, that awesome epsiode with the brains that wager quatludes (?) on gladitorial matches, but it's got a lot of real garbage, too. Some of them are nearly unwatchable.

On the other hand, after it's incredibly weak start, TNG had at about three seasons of pretty consistent quality. It kind of goes off the rails a bit towards the end, but it did things pretty well for a while. DS9 too, albeit in more of a soap-opera-in-space kind of way. Kind of surprised by the lack of love for those here.

AAT65 likes this.
  3. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    Bitchy prose from Harlan Ellison? Really? :rolleyes:

richa likes this.
  4. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Not familiar with that particular book but somewhere around here I have a few TOS novels that are sequels to "City On The Edge Of Forever" - among my favorite. Some of the books written based on the series are very good...some...less so. Much like the episodes I guess.

5. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2009
    innsmouth, MA
    TNG and DS9 is way better.

6. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
  7. soulgeezer

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    If you like soap operas with a bunch of people running around with schmutz on the bridge of their noses, sure...

Nah. You're nuts!

rdwhitti and blowtorch like this.
  8. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    They are way not

rdwhitti likes this.
  9. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    :lol::lol::lol:

rdwhitti likes this.
  10. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
  11. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    OK, POP quiz ST hot shots. In TOS Klingons looks like Romulans. TNG forward, not so much.

I only seem to recall one pseudo explanation on the DS9/Tribbles Temporal travel episode. That is if you consider Worf saying you don't want to know an explanation, more pseudo reference.

And some vague suggestions on Discovery, which I also liked. But I am easy to please SiFi wise. As long as there is no Doctor Smith or Twiki, MEH. ;)

12. soulgeezer

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    That’s just some schmutz — Here, let me get that for you...

[​IMG]

13. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Marina Sirtis calls it "Deep Sleep 9."

I kinda have to agree.

My ranking (which matters to no one but me, but what the hell):

1. TOS-sets the standard ('cuz that's what you get to do when you're the first. Duh.)
    2. TNG-started off hilariously bad, but somehow saved itself before it died. Frakes wasn't the "lead," but he did have acting talent equal to Shatner's. (That's not a compliment.)
    2. STAnimated-Yes, also 2nd, equal to TNG. At least. Maybe I just like it because they reworked a couple of Larry Niven "Known Space" stories into ST.
    Distant 3. STV, Enterprise- too much blah-blah-blah, I'll watch CBN if I want preaching. Like M*A*S*H after Alan Alda decided he was our social conscience. "Please, restate the obvious YET AGAIN, but with a little more sanctimony this time."
    4. DS9-Did anything ever happen on this series?

14. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Leeta happened, plus Dax's in female hosts were Hot. ;)

The Odo character played by Rene Auberjonois was probably my favorite in the cast, and played with a depth IMO unrivaled by most if the cast if not all.

And anything ST with Majel Barrett [The First Lady of all things Star Trek] in it, in any form is good with me. Which is most of it in one form or the other, and in case folks don't know the computer voices are mostly [all?] she.

She has been on more ST that any other actor I believe. Even in the pilot the Cage as the pre Spock #1 character. A little too soon there Gene, Desi-Lu wasn't having it. ;)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    AAT65 and ahiddentableau like this.
  15. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Also, in DS9 ever notice most of the Ferengi have a curtain on the back of their heads covering the back of their necks? But the star Fergengi does not. Apparently the work to complete the appliance for multiple Feren-gui was a budget issue. ;) My kid told me that. ;)

16. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Holic

Nov 22, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    She had better legs than the redshirts that didn’t come back.

soulgeezer likes this.
  17. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    The DS9 episode that sticks in my mind most is the one where Kira (the resistance rebel) finds herself kicking Brian Keith out of his house in an eminent domain storyline. There were some hard storylines well acted.

Also when Ro finds herself on the wrong side of Picard toward the end of tng. No tidy solutions solved by beaming up there.

AAT65 likes this.
  18. Misty Mountain

Misty Mountain Tele-Meister

Sep 4, 2015
    Seattle
    Funny I just started re-watching the original series today on Netflix. Awesome stuff!

19. ahiddentableau

Jul 8, 2018
    Middle of Nowhere
    Yeah, TNG and DS9 are good.

My pet theory is that when Star Trek works well it's is mostly because it does well with character development. The trio of Kirk, Spock and McCoy gives the TNG a lot of traction. TNG did remarkably well building up a host of characters both major and minor. DS9 too. Science fiction needs that because it tends to be intellectual. Characters give you emotional content and that's important.

This is a big reason why Voyager is lousy, IMO. The holographic doctor aside (love that character), there's just nobody to care about in that show. It was so bad they had to add a hot chick in a skin-tight catsuit--never a sign for quality in any show. Enterprise was better but not better enough. And Discovery has this problem now, too. It's not so much that they didn't create interesting characters. They did OK at first. But then they did the whole mirror universe thing and blew it them up.

Hmm. That turned into a bit of a rant maybe. Sorry. Just my two...whatever they use in a world without money.

richa and AAT65 like this.
  20. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think that’s pretty accurate. Your list of brilliant TOS episodes should include Balance Of Terror, which is probably in the top 10 of ST episodes (across all the series, I mean), but I should think the worst 10 ST episodes ever are all from TOS.
    For TNG the worst episodes are definitely most of season 1 and a few from season 2: but seasons 3-6 are pretty consistently great. I would nominate The Inner Light and Darmok as likely the best ST episodes ever: perhaps it is no coincidence that they are both dominated by Patrick Stewart, who is still by orders of magnitude the most talented actor to have appeared in ST (until Discovery, when I think a couple of the cast are beginning to catch up).
    However I think the show which was most consistent and adventurous is DS9. It is much more of a slow burn, but it covers some very interesting ground. From the start it juxtaposes the mystery of the Prophets — who we can rationalise as “wormhole aliens”, but they have powers which to the Bajorans make them effectively gods — with the real world messy politics of the aftermath of an inter-racial war and oppressive occupation (reflecting the contemporary mess in the former Yugoslavia, amongst other things). There are conflicts between key characters, there is a long running invasion and a war — and at the same time some entertaining comic relief. It’s definitely not perfect, and harder to dip in and out of, but it’s a very rewarding show.

richa and ahiddentableau like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.