Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Star Trek The Original Series

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 7171551, Nov 23, 2018.

1. 7171551

7171551 Tele-Afflicted

Why did I never really notice this before? :rolleyes:

Here's the deal... TOS is on the Sci Fi satellite tv channel here in the UK -"digitally re-mastered." As someone who remembers when this originally aired in the UK, I tuned in, partly out of simple nostalgia and partly to see if re-mastering had made any difference...

One thing ONLY really stood out as different- and it is TERRIBLE! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

During every fight scene it is now PAINFULLY obvious where the stunt doubles have been substituted.. Random guys in bad wigs, different heights, different physiques, different complexions... :eek::eek::eek::lol::lol::lol:

I just can't understand how I never really noticed this any of the OTHER hundred times I've seen these shows re-run over the past decades.

The episode introducing Khan for the first time was particularly excruciating. The stand-ins were so jarringly bad I didn't know whether to laugh or cry :lol::cry::lol::cry::lol::cry::lol::cry::lol::cry:

Sorry, I just needed to share with someone... Live long and prosper! :D

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    There is only one Star Trek, and that includes William Shatner as Captain James T Kirk :cool:

That other stuff is just goofy

BopT, bender66, LocoTex and 2 others like this.
  3. Pickin N Grinin

Pickin N Grinin Tele-Meister

Mar 9, 2008
    New Jersey U.S.A.
    The original Star Trek was always my favorite. The hokeyness just adds to the charm. Did you ever notice that whenever they beamed down to a planets surface, anyone black or wearing a red shirt, wasn't going to be making the return trip?

4. 7171551

7171551 Tele-Afflicted

...Also never registered in my memory that Spock is a "Vulcanian" in these shows.

Greggorios likes this.
  5. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Saw a joke somewhere (maybe here):

If a bunch of Star Wars death troopers started shooting at a redshirt Star Trek expendable, they would all miss and the officer would still die

6. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    The remastering is all the outer space footage.

7. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yeah, it’s how it is. Cheap TV made quickly with a ton of shortcuts. But some great ideas turn up now and then, some outbreaks of good writing, some iconic characters. A few episodes really stand up as drama even now — Balance Of Terror in particular (though some are miserable). I still have fun watching it...

8. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Philly Burbs
    this type of thing happens in tv and film all the time...if you dont know about it...look up...the wilhelm scream...it was made back in the 50s and has been used hundreds of times in tv commercials and films and tv shows...there is even a band called the wilhelm scream

here is the first time it was heard

15 second mark

7171551 likes this.
  9. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Holic

Sep 26, 2015
    Maldon, England
    A friend of mine is an amateur actor, and for a warm up during rehearsal they sometimes practice a technique called Shatner....where...people....speakwith...odd ....intervals.

10. 7171551

7171551 Tele-Afflicted

Oh yeah, totally agree... just frankly astonished with my younger self that I never noticed (or that it never jarred) before... Some of the writers were hard-core contemporary SF authors, which I think raised the show above the level of virtually all "sky-fi" for years to come!

Incidently, I'm originally a "Bathgate Bairn" - Where are you fae? :twisted:

AAT65 likes this.
  11. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Dothey...break things up...withalittle....ChristopherWalken?
    [​IMG]

12. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal
    The original is a little hokey, Shatner’s over acting stands out more now, that’s almost humorous.
    I boycotted the Next Generation the first two seasons because I couldn’t imagine a different Capt and Crew.
    I did eventually get into TNG and have watched ever since.
    I’m a syfy fan, my favorite Syfy series is Stargate SG1, but Fringe, Continuum are great too.
    They all make the original Star Trek look kinda hokey.

Believer and 7171551 like this.
  13. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    Let me know when they HD the first season of Dr. Who..

BopT and 7171551 like this.
  14. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

Nov 26, 2014
    London
    Don't forget back in the day most people were watching on Black and White TV's with small low rez screens.

Nobody noticed the stuff we are seeing today.

BopT, Driver3, unixfish and 6 others like this.
  15. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    Uhura was black AND wore a red shirt. She beamed down to lots of planets.

bsman and AAT65 like this.
  16. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
  17. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    The reason the Original Series is any good is the stories that were told. Thinly veiled references to nationalism (in the form of planet-ism), racism, the arms race/cold war, etc.

Many/most of the storylines hold up to this day, even if the effects, acting and set quality doesn't...

18. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    There is just something about green wimmen...

green woman.jpeg

19. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Originally from Glasgow, spent 20+ years in Edinburgh and now in West Calder. I’ve played a couple of gigs in Bathgate!

20. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I like them all, some more than others.

Series wise:
    TOS #1, DS9 for some reason I really liked, not sure why.
    TNG AND ENT next, No idea what the appeal for ENT was. 1st time I liked Bakula, again no idea why.

New Enterprise and Voyager last in that order.

I'll take all I can get.

Now when is the Orville S2 airing damn-it

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.