Stand for 3 Guitars

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tele-rain, Apr 15, 2019.

1. tele-rain

tele-rain Friend of Leo's

Hi all! My guitar collection has grown faster than my progress, so I am trying to decide if a stand to hold all 3 of my guitars is better than 3 separate ones. Below is a pic of “the family”, it’s basically one dreadnought, one small sized classical, and the Tele. I was going to buy a new stand for the new acoustic, but not sure if a multi stand makes more sense, and would save space. What do you all think? I’m in a small apartment. And I don’t want to hang on the walls to free up space, not sure how sturdy they are. I have a few pics hanging and the holes in the wall were too easy to make. I wouldn’t trust hanging guitars.

Attached Files:

2. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I use a triple stand to keep my three most used easily at hand. It takes up a lot less space than 3 singles, but if you are putting it against a wall, it does stick out further.

3. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

If you get a 3 guitar stand try to get one that has some weight at the bottom. Some of the light ones will tip over when removing one guitar if you don't watch out. At a gig you can duct tape it to the floor, not sure you would want to do that at home. You can also get a 5 guitar rack type for future buys.

DFB1, Treadplatedual and bcorig like this.
  4. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Meister

Milspec, AAT65, JayFreddy and 2 others like this.
  5. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Holic

I’m speaking out of pure speculation, but because of the vastly different dimensions of your three guitars, I’m wondering if a three-guitar stand would even work. It’s understandable why you don’t trust hanging your guitars, but the key is finding the studs in your wall and screwing directly into those rather than anchoring in the drywall.

Doctorx33 likes this.
  6. tone57

tone57 Tele-Meister

maybe something like... pretty adjustable
    I made a version of this without the neck slots, just a padded bar across the top.
    holds any 3 of my guitars just fine.
    Plus if you want it a different size, just 3 pieces to change out.

WOODSTAND.jpg

7. teleteej

teleteej TDPRI Member

+1 for the Hercules 3-guitar stand. Very well made.

notmyusualuserid likes this.
  8. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

I bought the Stagg six-slot, guitar-case-shaped rack and made a few improvements. Takes up less room than a conventional three-guitar stand and, of course, holds more guitars.

9. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

Got to be careful with the soft padding on some of these stands ... that leave marks on the finish, especially if the guitars sit for a while.

Treadplatedual likes this.
  10. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I find floor stands are more 'at risk' of guitar damage than hanging on the wall. Here is one of my prior wall hanging solutions. Garage rake hooks screwed into a board that is firmly screwed into the wall studs. If you can locate the wall studs you can screw the hangers direct into them but those studs may not be where you want. If you have 'Nitro!' then get/make cotton socks or covers for them to protect the finish.

[​IMG]

Doctorx33, Treadplatedual and bcorig like this.
  11. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I forgot, what was your favorite guitar color?

Treadplatedual likes this.
  12. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I have one of these Hercules and it's very useful. It seems no more trouble to carry than a single stand type really. It works for acoustic or electric or a mix.
    It's not a perfect device, but useful:
    -As with almost all of stands produced today it has issues with the tightening knob in the sliding device on the shaft. The threads stripped out long ago. I just use it without tightening and it works fine. This has happened to every device I have like this, speaker stands etc. I dont over tighten and in fact barely tighten at all.
    -On the "U" shaped hangers at the top, the guitar weight makes the little end pieces rotate locking the guitar in the U. One is hesitant to rotate or un rotate.
    -As with almost all of stands produced today it has issues with the rubber caps on the end of tubes coming off and being lost. When new I would put a tiny bit of Gorilla Glue inside every one of them.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  13. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

I use those 7 guitar stands that fold up into a case. They're pretty cheap and are nice enough. You have three guitars but it's good to have a few extra slots in case (no pun intended) you buy more stuff or have a friend over or something.

I've done the wall thing in the past but I used the Guardian garage organization system from Lowes (IIRC).

jimilee likes this.
  14. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

I've had one of these proline 5 guitar holders for over 15 years now - not had a single problem with it. Used to haul it to gigs regularly to provide spaces for my bandmates. When I bought it, it was more in the $50-60 range. Now I see it's only $5 cheaper than the 7 slot version.

Doesn't seem like you are in a guitar stand disaster relief mode hurry, so maybe do a little watching and waiting and see what goes on sale. The case-based solution works well also, but if you're just using it around the apartment, then a simple rack might be the way to go.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Proline/PLMS5-5-Guitar-Folding-Stand.gc

15. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

One needs to keep an eye on the area of the "trigger" mechanism (that loows mit to telescope) where the pivot pin goes through.
    A number of these have broken and sent the guitars crashing to the floor.
    They may have updated it.
    I have been using one onstage for years with no problem, but one of the flippers that keeps the headstock in the cradle went a little wonky early on.
    It's an OK stand...I'm not super impressed with it.

schmee likes this.
  16. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have one that's just in the way if want it, pay the shipping and it's yours!!

17. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Guitar hangers work just great. There’s a precious picture in this thread of a one x two stained and wall hangers mounted in it. This works great. Find the studs in the walls and measure them out, I think they’re about 12-15 inches apart. This is what I do in my tiny apartment. Gonna have to get some spackle (drywall hole filler) when I move out, that’s for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

I’m currently building one for three guitars based on that design. The base is cut along with the guitar base supports. Upper supports and top tomorrow.

5442316E-4446-4CBF-8074-4713644F06A0.jpeg

jimilee and tone57 like this.
  19. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

I like these, I have a larger one in my practice space. same type unit built for cases too.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  20. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Just stopped by to say "hey" Tele-Rain.

tele-rain likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.