Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Stacking with a Boss DS-1

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by thefruitfarmer, Jun 11, 2017.

1. J-fish

J-fish Tele-Meister

Jan 1, 2014
    Tuscany, Italy
    If I understood you're mixing your dry signal with the distorted tone of the DS-1, all with the A+B mode of the LS-2...been there too in the past, doing all kinds of parallel signal chains and stereo experiments, with the LS-2 as well as with small mixers.
    I'm writing just to say to keep an eye to proper phase relationships, I think I read in the past that DS-1 do invert phase of the signal, so the risk with your setup is to run two out of phase signal together...I don't know for sure about the DS-1 though.
    Check it out, however, you might still like the result

thefruitfarmer likes this.

2. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2013
    kent UK
    Thanks, I will bear that in mind. No problems as yet with 2017 DS-1.

However, I did replace an old DS-1 that was sounding weedy in that role, I thought it was broken but it could be flipping the phase like you say.

:)

3. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Tele-Afflicted

try a ds1 with the ds2 on turbo mode on

thefruitfarmer likes this.

4. thefruitfarmer

Sep 26, 2013
    kent UK
    I have a T-Rex Moeller which sounds good with the telecaster but it does seem to need continual tweaking to find the sweet spot in this context.

I did try putting the Moeller and the DS-1 in the A and B loops of the LS-2 and blending the two but it sounded terrible so I would agree that the DS-1 flips the phase. The DS-1 is happier in line rather than in the loop and it lets some clean through so all is good really...

At the moment I have the Aqua Puss and CH-1 in the A and B loops of the LS-2. this seems to make it easier to control the volume change issues with the Aqua Puss echo (someone here did say that all echo pedals will have this problem) and it seems to make a bigger sweet spot for the chorus effect too....

The Moeller has got to go, it's like a Q-tron+ in that it needs continual tweaking,and it is way better with humbuckers.

As for a replacement I am now thinking a Boss OD-3. I am keen to keep the bass in the overdrive and distortion pedals and I can use the EQ pedal if I need a mid range boost. Much more control with the EQ than with a tubescreamer type pedal.

Shane likes it with his tele

The perceived wisdom appears to be that the OD-3 will sound good into a clean amp, stack well with the DS-1, can act as a clean boost.

J-fish likes this.

5. thefruitfarmer

Sep 26, 2013
    kent UK
    Looks like the search is over for now. I won the office sweepstake this week so I called in a music shop on the way back from day release college and bought myself a Boss OD-3 with the winnings :).

The word is that it is similar to a Boss BD-2 or Nobels ODR-1 but without the problems of potentially being a bit weedy or sucking tone respectively.

I am still in the honeymoon period but early impressions are very good. I have been running the OD-3 into the DS-1 both with slightly lower gain settings and the two together blend into a more complex sound.

I was thinking of getting a Truetone VS/XO but I reckon I have got what I need with this drive pedal set up. Also, I have big feet with poor eyesight so I need the distinct target of the two separate pedals really.

valvestate and Staypuft1652 like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.