Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Stacking with a Boss DS-1

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by thefruitfarmer, Jun 11, 2017.

1. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer TDPRI Member

Sep 26, 2013
    kent UK
    Looking for something to go after the DS-1...

pedalboard June 2017.jpg

I am splitting the signal and the DS-1 works really well into the first amp (Award Session Blues Baby). I am using the LS-2 to have the DS-1 and Maxon EQ blended in with the clean signal. The signal is split after the LS-2 and the Chorus, Trem and Delay all go to the second amp only (Peavey Bandit clean channel at the moment) so I have a wet/dry mix going on.

What I am looking to do is to add something at the end of the chain, a drive pedal that will sound good with a DS-1 before it and going into a clean amp. Something that will work when I am using a single amp or go straight into a PA for the times I don't have an amp.

I am thinking maybe an "amp like" overdrive or perhaps a multi effect pedal with amp models......

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017

2. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    I stack Dunlop fuzz face germanium- blues driver - ds-1. (Grmaium fuzzes have to be first in line).

thefruitfarmer likes this.

3. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Meister

Aug 23, 2015
    uk
    i stack a soul food ov in front of a DS1 sound great

4. CyrusF

CyrusF Tele-Meister

Nov 12, 2016
    Illinois
    How do you run your DS-1? If you run it fairly mild, any sort of amp-like pedal should work fairly well after it. Either way, most gain pedals stack pretty well if you keep the gain controls dialed back a bit. A Zoom Multistomp may serve you well for a digital option. I've used it as my entire rig at a gig or two, and it makes a great recording tool on the side!

thefruitfarmer and dlew919 like this.

5. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Stack a DS-1 into ... a DS-1 ! ;)

I have a DS-1 I wanted to mod and thought I'd better pick up a second so I had a good A/B comparison and happened to stack them and mess around with all six knobs and wow does that sound great. Totally abandoned the mods for them. I have since picked up a third one I got basically for free with a guitar trade but haven't had the urge yet to dig in. The key is don't have either above 50% of the dials, the first one in the stack I have the gain down around 10% or less even.

The low gain DS-1 into an MT-2 is good too if you like what the MT-2 does.

thefruitfarmer and JustABluesGuy like this.

6. jman72

jman72 Tele-Holic

Aug 31, 2013
    Central Florida
    Nothing special but I stack my DS1 into a Tube Screamer and an OCD. Sort of cliche but the bite of the DS1 as a boost helps to give the other pedals more presence.

thefruitfarmer and JustABluesGuy like this.

7. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Tele-Afflicted

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    The DS-1 stacks well with other pedals. I have used it with a TS9 and a Soul Food with great results myself. I actually own two (unmodded) that I found used for dirt cheap.

I'm glad to see the pedal getting some much deserved love for a change.

8. thefruitfarmer

Sep 26, 2013
    kent UK
    I am running the DS-1 fairly hard, at 11:00 and shaping it with the EQ before it but I am blending it in with clean as well. There is a sweet spot the first amp likes, at the point where it can feed back if you want it to and it is not too harsh and overbearing so it still sounds okay through the clean second amp.

I was thinking Zoom multistomp, can I ask which one you use?

Maybe one of these?

[​IMG]

CyrusF likes this.

9. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Tele-Afflicted

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    I've been meaning to try that!

jvin248 likes this.

10. CWP0126

CWP0126 TDPRI Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Looking at Fruitfarmer's board I couldn't find the DS-1 until I expanded the picture and saw it was black! I've only ever seen the orange ones. Quick Google search says the black ones are limited editions. Cool!

FenderLover and thefruitfarmer like this.

11. CyrusF

CyrusF Tele-Meister

Nov 12, 2016
    Illinois
    That's the one! The MS-50G I believe is the model number. I particularly like the Vox emulations, but all of them are pretty good. The new update has some cool drives and delays too, as well as an ambitious attempt at a Klon. (Sounds good to me, honestly!)

12. Austinato

Austinato Tele-Meister

May 13, 2017
    Huntington Beach via Reno
    The optimal way to stack a DS-1 is with a BD-2, Fulltone OCD, or similar overdrive. The DS-1 can go either in front of or after the drive pedal it's being stacked with. The process for the best potential tones is as follows (pay close attention to step three):

1) Turn on both pedals and set all knobs to noon.

2) Find unity.

3) Turn off the DS-1.

4) Adjust settings on the pedal being paired with the DS-1 to you preference.

This should be helpful to anyone looking to improve their tone with a DS-1.

13. thefruitfarmer

Sep 26, 2013
    kent UK
    That was a lucky guess!

Do you find it takes the DS-1 in front of it okay?

I have looked at this box - it sounds good on the youtube and it is not expensive. It is small enough to fit on the board too.

It seems to tick all the boxes and I can build up a patch with amp sim, reverb, EQ etc for working with a clean amp and add the delay and compression for using it on its own.

14. jman72

jman72 Tele-Holic

Aug 31, 2013
    Central Florida
    Yeah, this is what I used to think, too. The DS-1 was my first pedal back in 1989- bought it new for $20, and it sounded like CRAP through my solid state Fender Princeton Chorus amp. So, it went into my closet as junk. Fast forward 25 years, and I started using my scratch-built 5e3, and I got that little pedal out again just for fun, and if you turn down the distortion and use it as a boost it really can make other pedals sound better. Like I said, I have other OD pedals, including the OCD, and for my use in my band, the DS-1 really improves the versatility of the other ODs. It just gives them more grit and treble. And in a full band situation, that extra treble (which sounds horrible if you're playing by yourself in your bedroom) gives your guitar tone just what it needs to be heard in the mix.

JustABluesGuy and thefruitfarmer like this.

15. Austinato

Austinato Tele-Meister

May 13, 2017
    Huntington Beach via Reno
    I was mostly just joking around. DS-1s are fine for the most part. Just a very "unsophisticated" pedal, if that makes any sense.

thefruitfarmer likes this.

16. sclitheroe

sclitheroe Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Hamilton, Ontario
    Sidebar discussion - Do you struggle at all getting the fuzzface to stack into the BD-2 well? I love the BD-2, and I love my germanium fuzz face, but I find it challenging to stack anything in front of a BD-2 on account of its low headroom - It gets blown out sounding really easily I find, which means low output volumes on the fuzzface, which means avoiding volume drop when the fuzzface gets engaged becomes a very finicky affair.

Have you had similar issues?

17. jman72

jman72 Tele-Holic

Aug 31, 2013
    Central Florida
    Oh, I figured you were joking- the DS-1 is just about the most unsophisticated pedal around. It's easy to rag on (like I said, I hated mine for years). You just have to find the right use for it.

18. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    No not really. I have all volumes at parity. And I don't think I've had any problems. Although I rarely have just the ff and the bd on together. Generally it's with the ds.

I'll give it a go and let you know how I go with it.

19. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2009
    Cologne, Germany
    My chain:
    Guitar >> Tuner >> DS-1 >> Big Muff (clone) >> Amp

The DS-1 is always on (basic sound)

20. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode TDPRI Member

May 26, 2017
    Philadelphia
    DS-1 >> TS-9

Keep it simple.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.