Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

SSSSSSSnakehead

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by adirondak5, Dec 31, 2011.

1. adirondak5

adirondak5 Poster Extraordinaire

Been thinking about building a Snakehead for a while now , with winter at my doorstep its a good time to get started . I am not going to be 100% accurate but I'll try to get close , the neck I think I'll go 1 11/16" at the nut instead of the original 2" , also gonna go without a truss rod , body I'll make out of pine of some sort , 1 1/2" thick , I'd like to get some sugar pine but its tough to find in this area . The pickup I'll wind myself , gotta research that a bit more . I made a control plate out of aluminum , the pick guard I'll make out of garrolite , gonna order a Sankehead bridge from Marc Rutters , tuners I'll probably get from Stewmac . Here's where I'm at for now , still really in the planning , gathering stage.

[​IMG]

Neck template ready to be cut and routed

[​IMG]

1 1/4" x 1/16" aluminum flat stock

[​IMG]

After some figuring and drilling

[​IMG]

After some polishing and knobs and pots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the garrolite for the pickguard , I ordered this Thursday afternoon at about 4pm , it was here Friday afternoon , McMaster Carr is the best!

[​IMG]

2. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome to the snakehead clan :D. I'm pround to be the first thread pollution :D. FYI, Lowe's has pine laminate shelving 3/4 X 15 X 48 :), most is fairly knotty but then the original was two 3/4 boards glued together (from the amp shop :D) for a blank. Lowe's also has the same in Aspen, which I just bought for my upcoming Musicmaster, which is very clear,no knots, but sadly, not pine :(. Really looking forward to this ;)

Dave

3. adirondak5

Thanks Dave , you know , I've got a gift card for Lowes , I might just take a ride up there and see what they've got . Just got an email off to Marc Rutters about a bridge and neck plate and jack cup.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. bcarter_1

bcarter_1 Tele-Holic

Can't wait to see this thing strike.

6. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity

Hey Herb.......... I made an attempt at one of these a few years back. I have several picture of Fred Stuart's first Snakehead replica build when he was with the Custom Shop. I understand he took measurements from the original. I'll e-mail them to you if you like.

After closer look at your headstock pictures, it appears you already have them.

7. adirondak5

That would be great Jack , and thanks a bunch , I'll pm my email to you . :D

Also , I saw pics of yours in various threads here and gotta say you did a great job Jack , hope mine turns out as well.

8. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity

9. adirondak5

Just saw this Jack , I did find quite a few pics online , but still thanks for the offer.

10. adirondak5

Thanks guitarbuilder , might just do that , didn't see anything at Lowes I would want to work with. I did get a gorgeous swamp ash blank from Ohlar about a week ago , great prices

11. flatfive

flatfive Friend of Leo's

Herb, nice job on the control plate. Tell us more about
    the Snakehead and your motivation for building one.

12. rirakuma

rirakuma Tele-Meister

what kinda burst is that?

13. crazydave911

Were you looking at the ones vaccum packed in clear plastic (but then of course, yours may not have them, as ours does not have maple) laminated from strips about 1 3/4 wide? Oh well, even those sometimes are all knots. Sorry for the sidetrip :oops: :)

14. adirondak5

Thanks Glenn , well I'll tell what I know.
    The Snakehead Esquire was what IMO started it all , as far as tele's go , made from some 3/4" pine boards , laminated together , nothing fancy about it , but there must have been something special about it , even back in the late 40's . Its decendants are still with us going strong and not much about them has changed as far as looks/style goes except for the headstock.
    My motivation ,hmmmm , I would have to say I started thinking about this after seeing Jack Wells's pics of the one he built and Barncasters build thread on his last year , I like the looks , simplicity , utilitarianism , ruggedness , hard to discribe , just something about it I think is way cool. And yes , this is another build for me , I would never be able to by one of the Custom Shop jobbies unless I won lotto . But bottom line is to have a reasonable facsimile of the one that started it all , and holding a bit of history in my hands.:grin:

15. adirondak5

Thanks Brian ! :D

That's a scrap body that I was practicing on with an airbrush .

No worries Dave , yea , I checked out the ones in the vaccum packed plastic , they had quite a few knots , then I looked at their select pine , no knots but some splits , and just blah looking , I'll keep looking for now , maybe something decent will pop up .

16. adirondak5

Not a lot of progress today , but got a little done. Got my 1/4" mdf neck template cut out , routed the straight sides and sanded the transition to the headstock , got it pretty good to my liking.

I use a 3/4" piece of maple clamped down over the neck template as a guide for the sides of the neck template from the nut to the heel , this piece of maple has a perfect straight edge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A little more sanding on the ROSS and some hand sanding and its pretty good

[​IMG]

I have a 2" x 6 1/2" x 30" piece of hard maple , its flat sawn but I think it will be ok , this neck is going to be thick , and this maple has been in my closet for almost 2 years and hasn't moved at all , its straight as an arrow. I gotta resaw this so I'll take it down to 1 1/4" thickness , that way I'll have plenty of thickness to run it through my planer and thickness sander and get it squared up perfect , I use my mag fence on the band saw , also switched out my 3/8 6 tpi blade for my 1/2" 3 tpi blade , it sawed good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can get 2 necks out of this piece , hmmm , maybe I'll make another one 2" at the nut.

[​IMG]

17. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

WHAT?? No Flames?? Shame on you, Herb. I never.....

18. crazydave911

Perfect proportions ;), my all time favorite

Hmmmm, you sure? :D. Trust me, this thing will spend more time in your lap than your belt buckle :D

19. adirondak5

Ha , yea , no flame on this one Mark , I don't know what I was thinking :p

Thanks Dave , I like it so far .

Yea , you are probably right , just tryin to make more work for myself as usual :D

20. adirondak5

A little more progress , got out the thickness sander and took the maple down to 1 1/8" , nice and square , that should leave me plenty of leeway , when I final sand it I want to be just a touch over 1"

[​IMG]

1.125" , that's my number

[​IMG]

Then I traced my outline from the template on the maple and went to the band saw

[​IMG]

Rough cut

[​IMG]

After a few minutes on the ROSS

[​IMG]

It's ready for routing , that'll be tomorrow , gotta make a 3/4" routing template first .

21. crazydave911

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.