SS Amp recommendations?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by lineboat, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Another vote for an old Bandit. I've got a '90s Bandit 112. It was $100, great clean tone with nice reverb, perfect pedal platform, loud as hell, and good luck ripping it off at gig 'cause it weighs like 80 lbs.

lineboat likes this.
  2. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Roland JC 40, Plenty loud. Or JC 90 if you must have near 100 watts.
    But as someone mentioned older Peaveys are work horses.

I'm still searching for the ultimate lightweight SS amp. To use for Acoustic and Archtop electric. I like open back and would like a line out. What I really want is a tube amp, but not too fond of what's out there in a small package. The Super Champ XD comes to mind, but it's not that small. My Princeton Rev is in a bigger cab and I use it for Blues so don't want to change that.
    The low priced SS I'm currently toying with are:
    -Fender Acoustasonic 40w. Has the line out and it's two 6.5" speakers. Lightweight and the back is just screwed on so I could remove it.
    -The Peavey ECoustic 208 Acoustic amp looks good with two 8" speakers, but there are a lot of reports of Hiss in that amp, at least if using the onboard effects.

I should just spend the dough for the Roland JC 40 or even the JC22, But Roland must use lead to build their cabs! Those little things are heavy!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    lineboat likes this.
  3. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Afflicted

I agree. I had a bunch of mostly 12" speaker combos. One was a Bandit, one was a Solo something or other plus a few others....all were good, and all had nice sounding reverbs as well. My personal favorite was the Scorpion speaker models. Wattage varied, but they were all solid and heavy. And they all took pedals well, just stay away from the distortion channels and you'll be OK. And cheap, I paid as low as $75 and as high as maybe $150 tops.

GreatDaneRock likes this.
  4. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

?

JC40 is 34lb for 40 true watts with 2x10 speakers. Hard to call that heavy in my book.

5. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Quilter makes some great sounding SS amps that don't really sound SS, I just got a MicroPro Mach II 12HD, about the size of a Princeton Reverb, 22 lbs and louder than I'll ever need.

ucnick likes this.
  6. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Which Orange?

7. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Which do you like better, Orange Crush 35RT or Peavey Envoy Transtube? Why?

8. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's

don't forget Ronnie Montrose

9. DOC DYA

DOC DYA Tele-Meister

See my post on your other thread ("Peavey Envoy or Orange 35RT?").

10. StillPlaying

StillPlaying TDPRI Member

On Pat Methany, my understanding is that at 1 point, played through a pair of Peavey Special 130s.

11. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Since last posting on this thread, I got curious about the new Quilter OD200. Had two other Quilters - an aviator head and the 101 mini. Didn't much care for the sounds. But I'd heard great reports on the OD200. Found one used, actually new in the box.

Damn, this little thing is serious. Using it with a 16 ohm, ported 1x12. I doubt if the two together weigh much more than 20 pounds. The sound is remarkable. I go back and forth between the Quilter and the Allen Encore head/cab next to it. The Encore has been my longtime favorite tube amp, in part because of the beautiful edge sound you can get at low and medium volumes. Turns out to be possible with the Quilter as well, using just the clean channel, by raising channel volume, lowering final output volume.

The sign of a really good amp: after awhile adjusting controls, assessing the sounds, I end up just playing. And forget all about which amp I'm plugged into. This is a one fine sounding set-up. Yes, tube-like. Not exactly, but whatever it is, it works. Can't wait to use it at a rehearsal or live.

D_Malone and SolidSteak like this.
  12. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

The Quilter OD200 is my favorite amp! I have a Strymon Flint going into the effects loop, a generic 2-button footswitch and that's it. It sounds as good quiet as it does cranked up. I had been using it into an open-backed 2x12, but recently got a Peavey 410 cab, and I'm even still considering the Quilter Blockdock 12HD just to have a good 1x12.

It's versatile, but also simple. A great combination of "set it and forget it" and fine-tuning. Sometimes I like putting it on the "crunch" channel because it takes the EQ out of the mix so there's one less thing for me to fret about, and other times I will just dial in the clean channel for something with more bass, or different mids, etc. Using just the "crunch" channel set for a mild overdrive and kicking in the "lead" for a boost is nice too.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    D_Malone and mad dog like this.
  13. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

Quilter OD200 owners, how are you liking the overdriven sounds?
    I have a Mach II head that has great cleans and works well with pedals, but the overdriven sounds are pretty bad in my opinion. I've had my eye on the OD200 as a replacement.

14. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

I think they're great. I want to use terms like "touch-sensitive" and "dynamic" but those are kind of cliche. It does clean up awesomely with the guitar volume knob, responds to how you strum the strings, and it's pretty easy to dial in any amount of dirt from light overdrive to heavy distortion.

Compared to a Quilter Aviator - which I also have - the OD200 has a much different sound. The Aviators tend to sound more woofy and loose when you turn the gain up. I don't know how it compares with the Mach II, but here are two youtube demos that I think pretty accurately capture the sound of it in a room:

Overdrive/distortion/etc. is a real subjective thing, but I'm really digging the sounds I get out of the OD200 way more than the Aviator, which I mostly keep on the clean side maybe with a little grit.

D_Malone likes this.
  15. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

Thank you, that's helpful. I would describe the Mach II's overdriven sounds as woofy and loose as well. Notes just blur together into a haze.

I'm going to have to try the OD200. Thanks again.

SolidSteak likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.