Squirrels in my feeders/gardens!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by scrimmer, May 2, 2019.

1. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Meister

It takes quite a bit of behavioral reinforcement to teach an animal to do/not do something. You must've shot this dog a least a dozen times in order to get him to associate walking into your yard with a jolt of pain. Yeah, that's mean.

It's obvious from your other posts that you don't care very much for the dog's owners. Kinda seems like you're taking it out on the dog.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    Bones and Boubou like this.
  2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Note to self. Add to the list of threads I shouldn't create: any thing to do with squirrels, or any varmint folk like to shoot at.

24 track, scrimmer and Bones like this.
  3. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Run a Slinky up the pole . Attach it near the top . Squirrel can't climb a Slinky . Find Terrier and let it work . Both methods work quite well .

uriah1 likes this.
  4. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

We have something like that. Doesn't work for us. The squirrels hit it, make all the seeds spill out, and then eat the spilt seeds off the ground.

Piggy Stu and uriah1 like this.
  5. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Who would have thunk that bird feeding could turn so violent.
    Birds, squirrels, rabbits, ducks, and now turkey, everyone eats at our feeders

brookdalebill likes this.
  6. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Squirrel Karma is a terrible thing. I thought hosing them with the jet setting would keep them from chewing the tips of my Cedar tree dropping tons of it in my pool. It was great fun blasting them until I slipped on the edge of the pool, busted my knee on the edge and went in for an unplanned swim. 6 weeks in a knee brace. They are harvesting our Peach tree right now. They are going to do what they want unless they are trapped & moved or killed. I tried rubber snakes, a motion detecting "frog" that croaks if they get close and all the sprays, nets and other "solutions". Nothing works except what I mentioned.

GGardner likes this.
  7. sardinista

sardinista TDPRI Member

I shot him twice. On the third occasion I merely pointed the (pellet) gun at him and he ran away. He hasn’t been back since. That was a few months ago. Problem solved. I know he’s fine because I hear him barking every single night.

Look, respectfully, I don’t know you, and even if I did, I wouldn’t care that you think I’m mean. The ONLY reason I brought this up is that the OP mentioned a BB gun as a possible solution but that he didn’t want to kill the squirrels — an admirable goal. I wanted him to know that a pellet or a BB would sting [badly] a dog, but would likely kill or cripple a squirrel. Also, as I mentioned before, I had confronted the owners already and, despite this, they persisted in letting him out to wander around because they’re too lazy to take care of him.

Don’t presume to lecture me (or anyone) through the lens of _your_ morality, especially regarding people and situations about which you know very little (or nothing).

OP, good luck, but as others have mentioned, I don’t think you’re going to win in this particular man vs. nature encounter. Squirrels are persistent and clever and they’re infinitely many in number.

8. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

I sent you a PM, and you never responded. Thanks.

9. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Holic

Bet you can guess how I deal with varmints.

chet again and scrimmer like this.
  10. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

If you friendly-trap them, which I do, I have read that you must take them a minimum of 7 miles, for them not to return. So, that being said, the “closest woods” needs to be a minimum of 7 miles.

I also have resorted to the BB gun, and I’m a pretty good shot, but it’s inhuman, because they do suffer until you can do the coup de grace.

11. scrimmer

scrimmer Tele-Afflicted

This is mainly the problem here too, or just not enough predators to keep up with them.

Nothing but a couple hundred acres of woods behind my house, loaded with squirrels. I could do this the rest of my life and still have oodles around.

Don't get me wrong, I love all the animals, I really do. Lots of deer here, foxes all kinds of foul and raptors and I've seen one black bear since I've lived here and I love them all.
    Just the dang squirrels are eating me out of house and home! I fill my feeders up and within hours they're empty again. I don't know what the deal is, but there must've been some serious squirrel romance going on earlier this year, it's just nuts!

:lol: See what I did there?

12. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

It will take about a minute for them to find all that food on the ground. So I think that's not going to wor . Makes for good entertainment though

13. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

My wife has multiple bird feeders, and the squirrels (or brats as she calls them) also dine there. She has had some luck with providing them with an alternative feed source. She buys ears of dried feed corn and deploys it on the way up to the feeders. Some of the squirrels are satisfied with this, and the cracked corn residue they create is a favorite of Bluejays and Cardinals. However, there are the die hard feeder raiders, who no matter what she tries still empty the feeders out on occasion. She just fills them up again, and calls them brats.
    We all have to share the earth.

brookdalebill and scrimmer like this.
  14. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

A friend of mine had a little poodle that liked chasing squirrel . One a day a squirrel caught him and yanked out a big chunk of flesh from between his shoulder blade . No more squirrel chasing for Frenchie after that

scrimmer likes this.
  15. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

OP, try marking your territory.
    I had a neighborhood cat using the mulch in my flower bed as a litter box.
    I finally bought granular coyote urine at my garden supply and sprinkled in my yard, effectively marking my territory. It worked pretty much immediately.

They make a fox urine that claims to work on varmints like gophers and squirrels. Maybe that would work for you.

uriah1 and scrimmer like this.
  16. Dixon in Korea

Dixon in Korea Tele-Meister

Am I the only person who immediately started singing the thread title to the tune of "Stones in My Passway" when I saw it?

Not necessarily. I was dogsitting for a few days one time, and I wouldn't take the dog out when I got home from work until after I had taken of my work shirt, relaxed for a bit, and then put on a t-shirt to take him out. By the third day, he wasn't getting excited for a walk until he saw me put on a t-shirt.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  17. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

18. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Probably, since I never heard of stones in my passway, and I assume I am not the only one

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  19. Smokin OP

Smokin OP Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I have several birds feeders in our yard. Two that I put sunflowers seeds that I mounted stovepipe below them. The squirrels cannot climb the stove pipe. Look on YT for directions. The squirrels are able to feed happily with the birds on the seeds that fall on the ground. My brother used to have raccoons along with squirrels & was able to keep them out with this method. I also have some low hanging feeders that we fill with safflower seeds. The squirrels never even bother these feeders. My problem are mockingbirds. We have a bluebird house & every year have several hatching's & they are very aggressive with the bluebirds. We always know when the bluebirds are getting ready to hatch or have hatched because any squirrel that gets near their house, the male will chase the squirrels out of the yard, which is hilarious to watch, or any birds such as sparrows or wrens they feel are a threat to their family. Currently, we have 4 young bluebirds that are actively feeding in the yard, with daddy doing all the work feeding them, with the meal worms we provide. To keep the mockingbirds at bay, we place them very close to where we sit on our patio. The mockingbirds will stay away when we are outside & the bluebirds will get as close as 6 feet from us. Mama bluebird has already laid 4 eggs so we are waiting on batch #2 for the year. Of course that also means the adult bluebirds will be chasing the little ones out of the area. Kinda sad to see daddy feeding them one day & both adults attacking them the next but if you don't kick the kids out of the house. We are fortunate to have a very active backyard, even though we live in a crowded subdivision. We love our birds.

20. Lakeabilene

Lakeabilene TDPRI Member

Nothing shows the chasm between the last century and this one like the subject of animals being hurt. We have a large percentage of folks right now that live on the internet and truly believe that animal lives have souls and are equal to humans, maybe even more important than human life. So it behooves all of us to avoid these subjects in places where feelings are going to flare up.

Piggy Stu likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.