Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Squire Telecaster worth it?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by VOXTOTHEMAX, Jun 2, 2017.

1. J Hog

J Hog Tele-Holic

Oct 18, 2009
    Norwood Ohio
    AMEN!!! To me, a guitar is too personal an object to buy without trying it first.

richey88 likes this.

2. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Here's why there's truth and half-truth in this:

Sure, you're going to try "a" model of the guitar you're considering, the one that's hanging in the guitar store, not the one you take home.

If you buy, you're gonna want a new one in a box from the back room and not one that's been handled by a few hundred people.

Unless you're spending big bucks, not Squiers, not many stores are gonna let you open boxes until you're satisfied. Besides, in the good old USA, we have fantastic return policies.

Which is why internet sales are killing the brick and mortar retail business. Plus, no sales tax (usually)...free shipping...and you don't have to deal with obnoxious salespeople trying to sell you rip-off extended warranties.

Buying sight unseen...or should I say playing untouched...is a perfectly safe way of buying any guitar these days.

3. J Hog

J Hog Tele-Holic

Oct 18, 2009
    Norwood Ohio
    No. If a guitar "speaks" to me, I really don't care how many others have played it. I seen too many Virgin Sacrifices" where a person gets it home, takes it out of the box, and it's a dud, in 38 years of retail music. Even the next guitar off the assembly line, same wood same tree. Every piece of wood has an unique personality. If it's telling me "I want to go home with you", that's THE guitar!

Brazen likes this.

4. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I have a friend with 38 1/2 years in the business who agrees with me. As do 99% of the buying public who is buying online these days.

Good players, too! I swear!

And remember those liberal exchange policies I mentioned?

5. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    I don't disagree completely, but there have been exceptions like gear I tried out in shops that I ended up hating.

Also, a guitar I bought from Thomann (edit: now that I think about it, I think it was from session.de) that I hated, took me a year or half a year for me to like it a lot.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    Ira7 likes this.

6. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    Nice Thinline! I played one of those VM 72 Thinlines recently and just loved it. IMO, better than the Fender that I also tried. The Fender, in trying to be true to the original, went with the 3-bolt neck (which I really don't like) and the vintage radius, where the Squier goes with a 4-bolt neck and 9.5" radius. I like that better. The pickups are the same in both. And the workmanship and materials on the Squier left nothing to be desired. Yeah TOTALLY worth it. I almost walked out of the shop with that VM, but I need another guitar like a hole in the head. :)

Miguello likes this.

7. Miguello

Miguello TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2017
    Houston, TX
    I thought my Thinline couldn't sound any better, boy was I wrong. Just ditched the chiclet and put an orange drop in it. It made a world of difference. It already sounded great, but now it is one of the best sounding guitars I've ever owned. It sounds better than my ash partscaster with Duncans in both positions.

Attached Files:

8. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    What's that on the left? Nice looking pair!

9. Miguello

Miguello TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2017
    Houston, TX
    GFS two piece ash body, bridge pickup SD bought 20 plus years ago, neck pickup is an SD bought new. Neck is a replacement with no brand name bought the same year as the bridge pickup. Finish is brown grain fill with about 6 coats of nitro. Grover tuners bought 20 years ago as well. GFS pick guard. In ither words a partscaster. Plays dang nice though, and sounds like a real one.

10. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Yeah man, looks good!

nadnitram likes this.

11. justjazz

justjazz TDPRI Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Alberta
    As someone who has played and owned dozen upon dozens of guitars in my 63 years I'd say to the OP don't overlook Squier Affinity guitars. My main player these days is an Affinity strat with plenty of upgrades. I went that route because I found too many flaws in the MIA's and MIM's I came across in my local guitar shop. You have to cherry pick even among the finest guitars these days it seems. But I really don't give a @#$& what people think or what's on the headstock. My Squier is a keeper and I play it proudly.

nadnitram likes this.

12. nadnitram

nadnitram TDPRI Member

Jun 6, 2012
    North Canton, Ohio
    FWIW, I owned two Affinity models -- one Tele and one Strat. I didn't like either. Later, I read that they have a slightly narrower nut than a Standard. Maybe that was it.

On the other hand, My VM Squier Tele Custom is freaking awesome! I just realized -- it's the guitar I have owned the longest.

13. nadnitram

nadnitram TDPRI Member

Jun 6, 2012
    North Canton, Ohio
    If you don't like the tone you are getting from the pickups, try lowering them. It's easy to do, and for my guitars (Harmony H80T, SX GG6) it made a noticeable difference. I don't know how to explain the effect -- it seems to have made them more articulate. It definitely made the bridge pickup less harsh.

14. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2017
    USA
    Plus 100.

IMG_1499.JPG

15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

The Pro Tone models are some of the best early Squiers made. Probably no one disputes they're the best non MIJ Squier available UNTIL the CV came out ten years ago, and since the CV, opinion has tended to split with some liking the CV better (and others including me liking the Pro Tones better).

I suppose all things considered, that $ 500 is not an unfair price - but I am not conditioned to think in those terms. It just seems like too much, whether it is or not.

+

But the most important thing is to remember, each Squier Contractor does their own thing and each product simply shares a name with other guitars. The DNA is different - these guitars are sometimes accidentally alike but in important ways, EACH source must be seen as a different instrument from a different company.

16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I recall a fellow working inside at the plant, informing Mark Davis that the stock pickups and the Toneriders are all made there, and the Scots fellows who market the Toneriders simply specified different materials in some cases and different numbers of winds. The same people make them at the same location - that's what we were told and nothing IMO has changed. A number of the stock CV pickups have come up prematurely failing but I believe they just were not handled right during assembly - nothing more.

17. SoulstormTX

SoulstormTX Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2017
    San Antonio, Tx
    I like the thin affinity bodies. But beware, the sealer underneath the color coat is an absolute ***** to get off if you plan on refinishing. I'm doing a refinish on an affinity body right now. I managed to get all the color off with a heat gun, but only some of the sealer came off. I'm either gonna try to really vaporize the stuff off with a heat gun as the guitar is gonna get an opaque finish, or I'm gonna try to sand it down. I'm not sure yet. It will be getting new electronics and a brand new neck though, so the only thing "affinity" left on it will be the actual body.

18. Alamo

Alamo Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    Hope they make a new model like...
    The Squirrel Esquire Squier by Fender
    that should be fun :lol:

nicod98 and MonkeyJefferson like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.