Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Squire Telecaster worth it?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by VOXTOTHEMAX, Jun 2, 2017.

1. scooter_trasher

scooter_trasher Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2012
    UTOPIA
    I am by no means saying they are not good guitars especially for the money, Fender simply has nothing to do with nor do they claim to have anything to do with the manufacturing. It simply carries a Fender owned trademark, a Mexican Fender on the other hand is built in a Fender plant by Fender employees, as are American Fenders, Squires are no more Fenders than Epiphones are Gibsons and Epiphones are not Gibsons

J Hog likes this.

2. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    I'd suggest you study the corporate structure and where the money goes before making that statement.

brobar, Grux and Chicago Matt like this.

3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    My Korean made FENDER Squier Tele had the large "Fender" decal on the headstock, with a little-bitty "Squier Series" decal on the very tip of the headstock. Not a "Fender"? If you read Tony Bacon's "Squier Electrics...30 Years of Fender's Budget Guitar Brand", you'll understand the focus and attention that Fender invested in the Squier line. The actual factories and builders in Japan, Korea, etc. are more like employees of Fender, making a product under Fender's strict instructions and specifications, and either adhering to Fender's standards or risking getting fired. Bottom line?...Fender considered them to be Fenders.

Grux likes this.

4. scooter_trasher

Jul 2, 2012
    UTOPIA
    I must have struck a nerve , Fender must be the only people on earth that doesn't claim that Squiers are Fenders,
    designed and backed by fender doesn't mean made by fender, fender owns the brand, fender owns a lot of brands and only one of the brands is fender, read for yourself
    http://www.squierguitars.com/
    These are Fenders words not mine "Squier is Fender-sharing its product platforms, trademarks, standards and iconic designs. Squier is the launching pad for beginners, pointing intermediate and advancing guitarists toward their ultimate goal-owning a Fender!"

J Hog likes this.

5. ebb soul

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Funny. Awful benevolent of Fender to handle the branding, advertizing, shipping, and placing, and licenceing of a brand they have no claim to.
    Truely.

Grux and nojazzhere like this.

6. ebb soul

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    The best part? " these are Fenders' words not mine. Squier is Fender"

Grux and nojazzhere like this.

7. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Meister

Oct 26, 2010
    Nonurbana
    Nothing wrong, whatsoever, with a guitar that sounds great and is a good player. That being said:
    New MIM Fender Body: $168
    New MIM Fender Neck: $200
    New Fender tuners $45
    New Seymour Duncan bridge pickup, $65-$105
    New Esquire knock off pickguard $10
    Strap Button:$5
    New Eldred Mod assembly $60

Wait for a holiday, get a 15-20% discount on everything from GC- and you have a howler for way less than you think.

Sjnoring likes this.

8. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Meister Ad Free + Supporter

Nov 16, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    I actually play my guitars, it's why I purchased them in the 1st place, I enjoy playing them, not putting them on a shelf as an investment. If that's what your into, the investment aspect, that's great too. So I really don't care about what kind of "return" I get on my "purchase". If you don't like SQUIERS, which you obviously can't spell that's cool, don't by any. Are USA and MEX better built? I doubt it. Are the parts and materials better, yes in most cases, do they play better? No, do they sound better? Not necessarily. And lastly, you can always get that $200 to $350 back fairly quick.

65 Champ Amp likes this.

9. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Meister

Oct 26, 2010
    Nonurbana
    You shouldn't accuse people of misspelling and then misspell.;)
    [edited because I'm questioning the spelling of "misspell". ]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    nadnitram likes this.

10. brobar

brobar Tele-Meister

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    I went nearly a whole decade snubbing my nose at the name Squier... telling myself there is no way a Chinese tele is going to come home with me. Boy was I dumb! I can't believe I missed out on these Classic Vibe teles for 9+ years. Thankfully I finally wised up. Now I don't give a rat's behind what people think of the little sticker on the headstock.

justjazz likes this.

11. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Holic

Maybe the newer ones are more ambiguous, but both of my early 80's E series Squiers have the big script SQUIER, then:

TELECASTER/STRATOCASTER (one of each),
    Made in Japan
    By Fender

Of course, I'd probably play a lot better without that big "S" word on the headstock.o_O

12. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 17, 2006
    Back at the Beach

13. Sharp

Sharp TDPRI Member

Oct 28, 2014
    Ontario
    My tele was crafted in indonesia. I've been to Singapore but went north... no matter. A Tele is two pieces of wood, bolted together and some wires. Mine sings,(partly) because I set it up right and messed with the electronics. I have a few high end gits that I've picked out, but every guitar I own has given me a song. I guess what i'm saying is, the value of an instrument is in the hands of the player. Too much?

Attached Files:

14. scooter_trasher

Jul 2, 2012
    UTOPIA
    The OP asked for input as to whether he should $500 for an imported Squire, he got my opinion, which is based on my past purchases and the fact that the market is flooded with used Asian guitars, my opinion is as someone who does not flip or store for investment, is that they will given time be virtually without worth in American dollars, much like Korean guitars from the 80s, and as far as " you can always get that $200 to $350 back fairly quick.", that's simply not true as is plain to see in this ad someone posted that is nearly a month old, placed by someone that can't get $300 hundred back on a guitar he has over $500 in with a cheap gig bag. https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/msg/6164719790.html
    some of you posters seem to take it as some sort of insult to your Chinese guitars that I would only advise buying one USED and dirt cheap, so with all my sympathy here's why

Due to the fact I have a mint 1980s ovation Korean Celebrity cc68 cutaway in a $100 SKB case that I have $450 in used , I'd due good to get 200 bucks for, a 1980s Korean Krammer strat in a hardshell case that wouldn't bring $100 if I was lucky and an Epi Les Paul Special II I bought used a while back for only $40,

I can't understand for the life of me why anyone would want to pay anywhere near the price of a used American guitar for a Asian import.

I keep tripping over deals on American made guitars without even really looking to buy anything, so I know their out there.
    2014 Gibson Les Paul melody maker bought in fall of 2014 off Craigslist
    in new condition $350 in a padded Gibson gig bag, a 2006 Fender 60th anniversary Highway one Stratocaster was $500 delivered from GC in California,in a Fender hardshell case in the fall of 2015, 1995 American standard Telecaster,in SKB case $550 last month, 2001 Gibson Les Paul premium plus flame top desert burst, in great shape with a bit of wear on the gold finish on the bridge for $640, in a Gibson case from Motorcity Pawn last week, I did not haggle for a price break on any of these guitars.
    when you can get deals on preowned, American guitars in excellent condition , without trying to beat up someone in their need to sell,Why send your money overseas?
    and what do you realistically expect to get back on a $500 Chinese guitar in a gig bag?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017

15. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Meister Ad Free + Supporter

Nov 16, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    I stick to what I know. No odd ball guitars, no super low end guitars, have always been able to get over $300 for Fender Squier Telecasters, in fact lowest was $325 for a VM. I have no pity for a guy that spends $400 for a new classic vibe and then spends $400 on up grades, then bitches about not being able to get his money out of it, shame on him. I think there are a lot of inexpensive guitars that can blow away their high cost brethren. The manufacture of guitars has come along way since the 50"s and 60's, many good guitars being built today. My advice is by the best you can afford, and upgrade to your ability. If someone is into guitars based on what their investment return is, well that conversation is for a whole other web site.

Chicago Matt likes this.

16. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2017
    USA
    The neck. Exactly. That's why I bought my $190 Affinity Strat. Well $180 they knocked off $10 because the nut was so bad you just had to laugh. I mean even for a Squier, this was so bad they gave me a discount. But as soon as I picked it up I bonded with it. My gf could see it. Just the way I held it and sat with it and played it. I say if you find a guitar with a neck like that, buy it even if it's cheap Chinese junk. You can upgrade everything else for the cost of a MIM.

17. Miguello

Miguello TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2017
    Houston, TX
    I've got a Squier vintage modified sunburst 72 Thinline from Indonesia. Top quality in my book. At least at the level of my 93 MIM Strat. Very impressed with it so far, except for the output jack which I have already bought a Switchcraft replacement for. List was $449, but the independent shop I bought it from took $49 off during the purchase.

I also have a black Chinese Squier "Tele" HH. I put a set of GFS Classic zebras in it, and replaced the pots with CTS and added an orange drop. It sounds as good as any 3-500 guitar I've ever bought. I paid $95 at a pawn shop, and put about $80-$90 in it including pickups. Loving it! DSCN1335.JPG

Attached Files:

Chicago Matt, Sjnoring and richey88 like this.

18. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Meister

Nov 27, 2016
    Long Island
    I like these VM 72 Thinlines. I had a CV Thinline, love the tone and it being lightweight. What I didn't like was was the neck. It was so thin I was missing making chords, fingers were off, and it just killed my hand. I decided it would be best to let it go. I tried one of these VM 72 Thinlines and love the neck, a bit chunkier, and even liked it over the Fender 72 Thinline. It's on my list!

19. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2017
    USA
    That black one is beautiful.

20. saunders06516

saunders06516 NEW MEMBER!

Jul 14, 2017
    CT
    I'm left handed so there is not a whole lot of variety for me. I own a Rickenbacker 360/12, a Strat, an SG and an affinity tele I picked up for $90.00. I play the tele the most.

Ira7 and CyrusF like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.