Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Squire Telecaster worth it?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by VOXTOTHEMAX, Jun 2, 2017.

1. scooter_trasher

scooter_trasher Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2012
    UTOPIA
    Squires are not , repeat, not Fender Guitars ,never have been, inexpensive licensed copies and close to worthless in the resale market, unless they are Japanese, which will bring around Mexican Fender prices, if you are interested in a decent return on your investment, a used MIJ Squire or Mexican around the 200 to 250 price range are all over the place, used american models are out there for 650 to800 for a standard , I bought an a 1995 American standard a week or so ago in a SKB flight case for $550 with no issues , it would have likely been 750 through a guitar store, I don't ever see the price of it going down, if you shop smart you will likely make money instead of loosing money , when or if you sell your guitar, let someone else take a loss buying and eventually reselling, new imports & parts casters, that name, origin and serial number means all the world on your resale value

2. Brazen

Brazen Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Jun 3, 2016
    Netherlands
    It's the same with Classic Vibes. Buy one for around 300, and sell it for the same price. If you're lucky, you can get 'm for 200. There's still some around, but most people know the value of them.

drlucky and savofenno like this.

3. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    Nothing wrong with a Mexican and that Fender decal is useful for re-sale.
    I have a " Blackie" strat that had a Squire neck, I sanded the label Squire off of it. It's still a great guitar and neck ( I added lots of older features and good pups) but I do not know Fender's strategy on the Squire label other than cheap marketing .
    The CV range, I am told, has at least decent pups
    ( rumour has it they are Toneriders but Fender will never admit to that).

4. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2017
    USA
    I've been posting a lot about my Squier Affinity Strat that I'm modding. I've been trying to post pictures but I can't. Anyway off the shelf it's what you'd expect for $190. Nut was useless, sloppy screw holes, cheap thin trem block, pickups weren't unlistenable but pretty lame. But man it played nice. So I bought it as a fixer upper.

Straight off the shelf a Squier is good as a knock around axe, but if you're gigging or a serious bedroom player you'd need to mod it.

By the way, $500 is about what the parts in my project come out to. So here's what you can get for (very roughly) $500:

Squier Affinity with wonderful neck
    Gotoh trem bridge
    Graphtek or however they spell it nut
    Guitar Fetish locking tuners
    Gold jack plate and black pickup covers (meh, have a little fun with bling. The bridge and tuners are gold too).
    Fender CS 54 pickups (brand new on eBay, you don't need to pay $200 for these).
    New pots etc.

It's not done yet so I'm not yet going to say dude this guitar will blow away any MIA guitar and it cost $500. But it probably will. At least until it falls apart being Chinese junk.

So before I spent $500 on a Squier I'd consider finding a cheaper one with a neck you like and hot rodding it.

Also for $100 more you can get a MIM, just a thought.

5. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    A MIJ Tele could have been had new for $400 in the day. They now command $700+.
    How's yer Am/ Mex Tele holding?
    I thought not.

CV needs only a better jack to hang with anything.

drlucky and Grux like this.

6. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Nov 29, 2011
    Philadelphia
    I would go for the Classic Vibe for all the reasons already mentioned. Essentially you can upgrade the hardware bit by bit if you want to and can't do it all at once, you don't have to worry about whether standard Tele aftermarket hardware will work...it will. And they're good guitars at that price point.

7. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2007
    Albuquerque
    I have had a few Vintage Modified models, they are top notch guitars, especially for the price. and the Duncan Designed pickups do not need to be replaced.

The Affinity series is cheaper, and it shows. I'm not a fan.

Don't listen to the brand snobs.

8. kaynray

kaynray TDPRI Member

Mar 30, 2012
    For me, the key to any guitar is the neck. It doesn't matter if it's a CS tele, an affinity, or a partscaster, if I don't get on with the neck, I don't get on with the guitar. If you can do absolutely no work yourself then it's probably best to spend as much as you can, then you can get by with just a setup. If you can do work, or are willing to learn, you can make just about any bolt neck guitar a good player, and often a great player. Yes, it will require some cash outlay, but if you're patient you'll find sales and used stuff for real bargains. I suspect most folks who slam cheaper models either haven't played any, or just can't get past the headstock name. Yes you can make an affinity play as well as a CS guitar. Will you like it as well? That's up to you and your personal outlook. I had a bandmate pass up a great deal on a Suhr tele cause he hadn't heard of them before. It was a great deal being sold by an angry ex-wife. But he thought it was a cheapie so never looked at it. If you're a guitar player the name means nothing. If you're a guitar poser the name means everything. Most of us, ok me anyway, are somewhere in between. Just depends which line you're closest to.

Sjnoring likes this.

9. BoiseTelecaster

BoiseTelecaster Tele-Meister

May 30, 2014
    Boise Idaho
    I have had all three of those models.

I still own the Classic Vibe and my MIJ E-series Strat.

The Affinity is long gone.

10. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    [​IMG]
    But it says, "Squire by Fender". So if it is "by Fender", it's still not a Fender?

justjazz, nojazzhere and Grux like this.

11. dwh100

dwh100 TDPRI Member

Dec 5, 2016
    LA county
    For $500 I'd rather get a used 50s Baja!

12. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga
    I love my Affinity telecaster. Satin neck is great. All the vintage modified models are great too.

13. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nov 16, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Squier CV is IMHOP the best bargain out there, you find them from $275.00 up. I left mine stock, but it would make an excellent plat form for upgrading. I'm leaving mine just how it came.

5ofeight and Grux like this.

14. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    I don't see any CVs @ $500.
    I'll take the tone of the $400 pine body CV and warranty over a used $500 Baja. Every Baja I picked up was heavy, thou,too.

15. scooter_trasher

Jul 2, 2012
    UTOPIA
    nope , built under license by Fender, as are the parts in it , just like some aftermarket necks & parts on the market

J Hog likes this.

16. Grux

Grux Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2017
    Clarksville, TN
    Then what you mean is, "not a super overpriced guitar that has Fender written on it."

justjazz likes this.

17. Grux

Grux Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2017
    Clarksville, TN
    My guess is "built under licence by fender, with all quality control measures by fender in an oversea's fender plant" wouldn't fit on the headstock or stickers.

justjazz likes this.

18. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Holic

If you can find an E series MIJ from the early 80's, go for it. They were arguably the best Fenders in the 80's.

Since Fender owns Squier, Squires are Fenders.

19. 5ofeight

5ofeight Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Oct 17, 2016
    Glasgow
    No matter which Squier you buy you wont be let down by any of them. I have two. An Affinity telecaster which has a near perfect low action( perfect for me)and a Classic Vibe Strat which is unbelievable quality from this here Fender( yes it is a Fender)... buy one, hell man, buy two. you will love them.
    14915314_1448904095138218_3186703604543544031_n.jpg 20170207_204739.jpg

20. scooter_trasher

Jul 2, 2012
    UTOPIA
    read for yourself , squire is a trademark that Fender licenses others to build, they used to all say built here or there under license by Fender, meaning Fender licenses others to build the product under their copyrights & trademarks ie private labeling
    "Squier is Fender-sharing its product platforms, trademarks, standards and iconic designs"
    http://www.squierguitars.com/
    [​IMG]

J Hog likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.