Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Squire Telecaster worth it?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by VOXTOTHEMAX, Jun 2, 2017.

1. VOXTOTHEMAX

VOXTOTHEMAX TDPRI Member

Jan 28, 2015
    California
    Hi guys,
    I am looking to buy a cheap Squire . However when I check eBay I am flooded with guitars made in Indonesia, China, Korea, and some older ones made in Japan. So I call on the experts. Is a Squire Pro-tone worth $500? Should I stay away from the Squire Affinity Series? What should I stay away from and gravitate too? Thanks in advance for you thoughts and opinions.

kidmo likes this.

2. Brazen

Brazen Tele-Meister

Jun 3, 2016
    Netherlands
    I'd go with a Vintage Modified, Classic Vibe, MIJ. That's in order of price from low to high.

E: Sorry, didn't mean to reply yet ...

However, I never buy a guitar without playing it first, but I understand it's common in the US. If you play it first, it really doesn't matter. If it speaks to you, that's the one.

The Squiers you see a lot of (Affinity, Standard, etc) are really below par unless you're very lucky. I wouldn't bother with those if I don't get to play them first, as the chance of running into a good one is really low. FWIW, the CV series has all standard Fender measurements. They don't have a thinner body, no strange small holes for pots, etc. So if you decide to upgrade parts they will most likely fit as is.

J Hog, Grux and Kerberos like this.

3. CyrusF

CyrusF Tele-Meister

Nov 12, 2016
    Illinois
    My first guitar was an affinity tele, and it plays just fine! (It stays in tune better than my fender.) It could use better pickups, if I'm gonna gripe about anything. But for $149 (at the time) it's a great guitar! I think they go for more now, but even the ones I've played since are good quality.

savofenno likes this.

4. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Tele-Afflicted

Cheap, with a full body and neck dimensions, would be Squier Standard, but expect to do set ups, or maybe a little work on the frets. It just needs work. Next up would be Squier Classic Vibe models and Vintage-Modified. Those would be my options for a Squier

savofenno likes this.

5. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2017
    USA
    I don't know about $500 for a Squier but you can get a good neck and body for cheap then upgrade the electronics. Or you might get a bucket of bolts so try before you buy. I paid $190 for my Affinity and it plays great. New pickups will make this a nice guitar. But you could just as easily get firewood with a Squier.

6. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Unless you're handy with a soldering iron for a $500 budget get yourself a brand new Squier Classic Vibe or a used Fender Mexican Standard. Can't go wrong with either. Forget the other Squier models unless you want a DIY project - not that there's anything wrong with that.

Cliffyg62 and Grux like this.

7. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

Jun 30, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    For Squier Tele, the Classic Vibe is the way to go..Every one I've played was quite playable right out of the box..And I've played a few..

drlucky, savofenno, Cliffyg62 and 4 others like this.

8. xland

xland Tele-Meister

Mar 26, 2015
    Central Illinois
    I own a '50's Classic Vibe and a Vintage Modified '72 Tele Deluxe and they both play great. They don't take a back seat to any of my other guitars. I highly recommend a Squier but I don't think I would pay $500 for one, it's not necessary to pay that much for a really nice guitar.

5-29-17-3.jpg

savofenno likes this.

9. Lead2Fan

Lead2Fan Tele-Meister

Jan 7, 2016
    East Coast
    No matter which Squier Tele you choose you I believe you will be pleased, just do your research, play as many models as you can, and compare prices among models and retailers. The Classic Vibe Series gets all the attention but don't overlook the Vintage Modified or new FSR Bullet line.

I had an '08 Vintage Modified Squier Tele Custom (two stock humbuckers/maple fretboard 22 fret neck) and like an idiot I sold it I now own a 2016 Affinity Telecaster. Both are great guitars and fantastic values, the Tele Custom was $195 delivered from Guitar Center's (GC) 2008 Black Thursday sale, the Affinity $179 came from a local shop (I had them order it). I bought both my Vintage Modified Tele Custom and Affinity Telecaster sight unseen.

Though I like the lower weight and standard Tele pickup configuration of the Affinity I miss the Tele Custom's "standard" 42mm width nut. Be aware that the the Affinity has a narrower nut by 1.4mm (40.6mm), if you have larger hands/fingers it may be an issue fretting chords. In my case I bought a used Vintage Modified 22 fret neck for the Affinity which I will install next string change. The Squier Bullet Tele has the "standard" nut width ie. 42mm and at $149 you can't go wrong.

See the recent thread (http://www.tdpri.com/threads/their-back.734810/) about it and here's a link to GC http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier/...en-1500000035095.gc?pfm=item_page.rr1|ClickCP

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017

10. Kojer

Kojer Tele-Meister

Sep 11, 2015
    Manila, PH
    Squiers are decent guitars but $500 is a bit much IMO. With that money i'd buy new or a get preowned fender tele.

Cliffyg62 likes this.

11. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    I think a CV is a better guitar than an Affinity. But I am also convinced a lot of "budget brands" that get raving reviews don't even come close to a Squier Affinity.
    But if budget was tight, I'd go for a Squier Standard Telecaster.
    If you are a pro player, get a higher end Fender.

12. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Meister

Nov 27, 2016
    Long Island
    As Brazen said, the Squier Vintage Modified, Classic Vibe, and MIJ are top shelve stuff. I'd like to think of the VM and CV Series as "A decal away of being a Fender". I had a CV Thinline, that baby could growl when I wanted it to, and then be quiet and jazzy when needed. I loved it, but as Brazen said, try the guitar out. The Classic Vibe Custom, and Thinline have necks a bit thinner than what you may be use to. I compared a Fender Classic Series 72 Thinline to a Squier VM 72 Thinline, and liked the Squier way more.

13. Burn Yesterday

Burn Yesterday TDPRI Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Durham, NC, USA
    I prefer the Affinities because I like the thin body. Everything else I can change if I don't like it.

14. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Afraid I don't know much about terms like Affinity, CV, Vintage Modified, etc.....but I do know I've never had a disappointing experience with any Fender or Squier that was made in Japan or Korea.....I know they've gotten a lot more expensive lately, but what hasn't? My current main guitar started life as a Korean Fender Squier Tele, 1993, but has evolved over the years to the point that the only original parts left are the body , strap buttons, and the control plate. I originally paid $100 at a guitar show....but because it was so cheap I wasn't intimidated by working on it. But if I were buying now, I'd probably focus in on a MIM.....but whatever you choose, don't wait.....Once you go Tele, you never go...well, you know where I'm going with that...

15. Grux

Grux Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2017
    Clarksville, TN
    I think the squire cv's and cvc's are just flat out awesome. I own a CVC and If that same guitar had a fender decal on it, it would sell for $700+

16. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Tele-Afflicted

The Squier CV's are awesome guitars. Albeit cheap hardware, it's still useable and with care, it does well even with hard use. I've been wanting to own one of the CV models but chasing after used ones are kind of hard in this part of the world. I do have a Squier Standard telecaster and it's really nice. the hardwares felt cheap compared to my MiM and my American Pro, but nothing really to fuss about. It plays great, it feels great and with work (and a bit of time, specifically around a month or so), adjusting pickup heights and all, I was able to make it sound really nice!

Nice hefty neck too. not as fat as I would like it, but it will do.

[​IMG]

savofenno and Sharp like this.

17. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Holic

Mar 11, 2008
    Timonium,Maryland

Squier.

Loco likes this.

18. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

My preference is once a Squier costs more than a used MIM then I hop over to the MIMs -- which cut in around $250-$350 around here. So I don't have any CVs and no Japan/Korea models.

Figure out your budget and hold back $100 for a fret level which includes a full setup and any of the guitars will play like anything over $1,000. At a minimum get a $50 setup.

The Indonesian plants seem to be more consistently well built. The China plants are variable from great to poor. However, you can swap parts and build what you want -- but some differences MIA/MIM vs Squier screw sizes body thicknesses to watch for if you cross things that way.

MonkeyJefferson likes this.

19. stratguy23

stratguy23 TDPRI Member

May 16, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    The Squier Classic Vibes I've played at stores have all been nice. They are very good playing guitars especially for the price.

Cliffyg62 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.