Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Squire Classic Vibe 50s Vintage Blondie or the Butterscotch

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Onairangel2, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Onairangel2

Onairangel2 TDPRI Member

Nov 11, 2015
    New York
    Hi everyone, going to buy a Squire Classic Vibe 50s Telecaster, which I heard so much about. Does anyone have both the Vintage Blondie or the Butterscotch one? If so, can you really here a difference between the Alnico III pickups on the Vintage Blondie, as opposed the Alnico V of the Butterscotch one? I play alot 60s and 70s classic rock with some overdrive but not too much like distortion or fuzz? I play alot of Beatles, Stones, the Police, Nirvana, Zeppelin (I think Zep's first album Jimmy Page used a Tele, and for Stairway to Heaven, (I maybe wrong about this). I realize any guitar can do anything, but which one is better suited to play this kind of music of the bands I just mentioned. The music stores in my area don't have these guitars. I would like to "try before I buy". Can anyone help? Thank you very much.

2. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2012
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I had the VB and it sounded great in the middle position for those tones you're mentioning.

3. Jim603

Jim603 TDPRI Member

Jul 3, 2018
    New Hampshire
    I had the butterscotch originally, but brought it back and got the VB. They both sound good, but noticeably different. The VB sounds more like the sound you're looking for in my opinion. The A5's, to my ear, have somewhat more bass and low mids, which is what you may notice when you hear comparisons on places like youtube, the A3's seem to me to have a little more attitude, plenty of twang, the A5's are a little fuller and gentle sounding.

Anyway, that's one man's opinion. They are both great guitars.

4. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
  5. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

May 14, 2008
    Marion, NC
    I had both, too. The Vintage Blonde model has "unbranded" Tonerider Alnico III Hot Classic pickups onboard; the Butterscotch Blonde model has "unbranded" Tonerider Alnico V Vintage Plus pickups onboard. What I mean by "unbranded" is that these pickups roll out of the same factory that manufactures Tonerider pickups, and are made to the same specs!

For the styles of music that you like, the Hot Classics would be perfect, IMHO (in fact, I have a new set ready to go into a new Standard Tele BSB that I purchased recently).

The Vintage Plus set is crisp and clear, in comparison - perfect for country, bluegrass, jazz.

Maybe this will help:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  6. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    I've got both. Both great pickups so you can't go wrong with either.

I prefer the A3's. A bit more overwound.

7. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

Apr 25, 2003
    NC-USA
    The A3s are in "never need to upgrade" territory. The Vintage Blonde finish looks great with a single-ply parchment 'guard.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  8. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    I also love the AlNiCo IIIs on the VB. It looks like this with a white guard (although I changed out the bridge):
    IMG_20160827_150048166.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.