Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Squire Classic Vibe 50s Tele - Butterscotch or Vintage Blonde

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Onairangel2, May 8, 2018.

1. Onairangel2

Onairangel2 TDPRI Member

Nov 11, 2015
    New York
    Hi everybody, I am trying to decide which Classic Vibe 50s Telecaster I should buy. I know everybody raves about the Butterscotch one. Does anyone own both or the Vintage Blonde. I know the Butterscotch has Alnico 5 Pickups and the Vintage has Alnico 3. I am looking to get the Keith Richards sound, like a 50's or 60's sound. I tried the Butterscotch and I think it is awesome. Can anyone help? Or maybe I should just a good used Fender Mexican Tele.

Thanks.

cincyguitarplay likes this.

2. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    I have the BSB & the pickups to the blonde in an SX. I really like the A3's but they're both excellent guitars.

I was surprised at the weight of the BSB though.

3. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2018
    Waxahachie, TX.

4. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    I went BSB. But I also went 60's custom. And I'm seriously considering the CV Thinline. The CVs are almost like Pringles... it's hard to have just one.

5. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2016
    California
    Play one. If you like it, buy it!

6. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2017
    Seattle, WA
    I have the vintage blonde and think it's terrific. Mostly it gets used for jazz and clean or low-gain blues, but it performed fine on those occasions when I channeled Keith Richards through it for fun. Never compared the two Squiers side-by-side, but I did A/B my Squier blonde and a MIM standard. It was no contest. Not because the Squier was obviously better but because it was easily as good and $hundreds cheaper, and came with an eye-popping flame maple neck.

As far as pickup output, I find the VB to be fairly tame. Playing it into the normal/clean channel of a Bugera V22, both pickups selected, guitar volume and tone wide open, I obtained a comfortable, people-in-the-next-room-can-watch-TV-without-closing-the-door volume with the amp's channel volume at 5. To get comparable (to my ears) volume from my Epiphone Les Paul classic, I had to roll the amp volume down to 2 or 2.5. Now, the Les Paul has a much beefier sound overall, which might make it seem louder than it actually is, and turning the amp's knob from 2.5 to 5 does not double the volume, so savor that comparison with plenty of salt.

7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

8. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin
    I have both. the white one gets more gigs, the BSB does nice on home recording and practice, aka noodling. lol
    Keith? yeah, both can do it.

9. Onairangel2

Onairangel2 TDPRI Member

Nov 11, 2015
    New York
    Hi Brobar, where did you buy those nice pickguards?

10. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    Both are fantastic the VB has the best sound to me. The BSB has the same pickups as the CVC and the CV Thinline, and still all three have a different sound, which I found surprising.

In order of my preference:
    • CV VB
    • CV CVC
    • CV Thinline
    • CV BSB

Troubleandahalf and rmendozajr like this.

11. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    I have both... The VB has more Chickin' Pickin' Cluck in the Bridge PUP. I use it for a 90's Alt Rock sound. The BSB is warmer and more round sounding. The Neck PUP on the BSB gets a really nice Blues Tone when you add some overdrive to it. Both are great guitars.
    ROCKERGYRL.jpg

Alamo and brobar like this.

12. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

Mar 11, 2008
    Timonium,Maryland
    It's Squier.:cool:

Alamo and nicod98 like this.

13. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Friend of Leo's

Jun 1, 2006
    Nashua NH
    vintage blonde and I put a CVC neck on mine, so i kind of cheated :D

nicod98 likes this.

14. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nov 27, 2016
    Long Island
    Be sure to check the CV Thinline out before buying. Besides being a great sounding guitar, it's light as a feather. I could coax some great tones out of it, from Jazz to making it growl. But....The neck was a problem for me, it's thin and narrow. My fingers were off forming chords. Sadly, I had to let it go, I have a bit of arthritis in my hand, was causing me too much pain.

brobar likes this.

15. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    I'll definitely check it. I can't imagine it being any thinner of a neck than the neck on the Classic Vibe Custom (that thing is super thin... BUT also one of my favorites to play). If it is the same thin neck as on the Custom (except maple instead of rosewood) then might just love it.

16. rmendozajr

rmendozajr TDPRI Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Texas
    Vintage blonde for the win! But I’m just a little biased because I just got one.

Chedbaze and nicod98 like this.

17. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I wish someone had put it this succinctly when I was looking at them last year. I went for the VB and didn't love it or, ultimately, keep it. Based on your description, I'd have probably liked the BSB more. Oh well!

-Ray

FenderGyrl likes this.

18. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    Get the one you like the best. I don't think it matters. They're inexpensive yet capable guitars.

Mine is basically a partscaster now. They only thing original on it is the body, neck plate and control plate.

Mine's got a new wiring harness, Antiquity flatpole pickups, Classic 50s neck, Gotoh Tulip tuners, white pickguard, bigsby b5, vibrate plate and bridge and Gotoh in-tune saddles (compensated and slotted brass).

DHart and The Angle like this.

19. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    They are nice guitars. I’ve got a BSB and it honestly sounds great. I play my beloved AV62RI as my #1, but the BSB is a good alternative.

I know the blonde and BSB have different pickups, but that’s an easy change at worst and who knows what you’ll like. I’ll say this: shop for either one until you find a lighter weight one. My BSB was a claimed 8#, but I’m sure it’s a fair bit more than that, high 8# level. My AV62 is 7# and I have a CVC that’s just over 7#. If you like lighter guitars, and I do, I’d look to you find a lighter weight CV. They are out there.

robinsong likes this.

20. kipkohl

kipkohl TDPRI Member

Dec 3, 2017
    olywa
    I did a lot of back and forth (VB or BSB) when I bought my CV. I ended up with the VB and am quite happy with it. The A3 pick ups have (to my ears), a really raw quality that just screams early rock and roll. Also has the twanginess for country that I wanted. I added a prewired 4 way switch to get the series option, and I think it improved the tone a tad (not that it was lacking to begin with); definitely a keeper. It is on the heavy side though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.