Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Squire Bullet SS Surf Green

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Todd2a, May 31, 2017.

1. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    I bit the Bullet today as well. GC let me use a coupon and gave me $90 for the pedals I traded in. $56 total out of pocket for this surf green beauty! I also got 4sets of strings IMG_0063.JPG

hellopike likes this.

2. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Fretwork was stellar, no rough edges. Sounds like a Tele....neck pickup is a tad anemic, but haven't adjusted them yet....

3. blackspider57

blackspider57 TDPRI Member

Mar 10, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    I have had mine for three weeks,
    and enjoy it more every day.
    It is a very nice guitar.

IMG_7210.JPG

JCW1024 likes this.

4. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Is anyone modding theirs? I had a couple hours with it last night, other than the neck pickup (sounds fine in the middle position), it's really put together very well....ooh, I wanted to ask, the maple on my neck is SO white....what would you use to darken it up a bit?

ChipOnly likes this.

5. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2009
    Champaign, IL
    Have to walk that not changing anything statement back - I probably will put new tuners on it. The stocks ones aren't that bad, really, but it's probably worth the upgrade.

And I think I'm going to put a different color pickguard on mine. Maybe something hideous, like gold sparkle. White is classy for sure, but just to distinguish it cosmetically from the other surf green bullets out there, get a bit tackier.

I feel the same way about the neck, really just the headstock. Thing is blinding. The idea of just dipping the headstock in stain crossed my mind already, if I'm taking the tuners off anyway....

BTW I think the stock pick-ups sound quite good, really. Wild.

MonkeyJefferson likes this.

6. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Let us see how that comes out. I ordered a mint green guard (it'll match my Duo-Sonic!)....been reading about kiwi shoe polish to darken the neck, saw good and bad....not sure about that, anyone have experience with this?

7. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Are you talking about darkening the fretboard, back, or both?

8. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I can't imagine in a million years that you would use shoe polish.

But I've been wrong, often, before.

9. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    The back and headstock. Fretboard is lovely, but the neck is very light....

10. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Just something I read. Sounds odd to me too...

11. JCW1024

JCW1024 Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2010
    Richmond, Virginia
    Couldn't resist--with a coupon and accrued points, just paid $45 for one from Musician's Friend. The wait begins.

12. blackspider57

blackspider57 TDPRI Member

Mar 10, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    I believe it will be worth the wait.
    A great little guitar, and for $45.00 you have made an incredible deal .
    Please share you impressions when you get it!

13. JCW1024

JCW1024 Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2010
    Richmond, Virginia
    Will do. I knew some MF points were about to get credited today, and I banked on them extending the July 4 coupon for a day--worked out. I have a few Teles, but none have a modern-style bridge, so looking forward to having one of those.

I can say that I played one of these last week in a Guitar Center, only for a sec, but enough to think it was definitely worth what it was priced, and especially 15% off that. Hardware and electronics seemed a little cheap, but wouldn't expect much there. After that I saw this thread and another one about it in a Tele group on Facebook, and decided I needed one. A good mod platform, for way cheap, that looks that good? Done.

14. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Holic

May 12, 2016
    California
    Im pretty tempted by these. I played a few that were fine guitars. The indonesian factory has really put out some nice stuff in a short time frame compared to how long it took japan, korea and china to reach those quality levels. Would make a fun and affordable test bed for mods.

15. JCW1024

JCW1024 Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2010
    Richmond, Virginia
    I agree regarding the Indonesian factory--I have two other Squiers made there (VM '72 Thinline and the short-lived VM Tele Bass Special), and they are both quality builds.

TimothyC likes this.

16. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    It's a bit of a project to darken this, but definitely worth it if it bothers you.

The wood has a water protectant seal applied into it that soaks in DEEP. It won't hold a dye or stain at all without INTENSE sanding. But here's the full story, because this is what happened to me on an UNFINISHED neck that I got for my 12-string partscaster:

1) I apply dye. Not a drop soaks in. I ask here at TDPRI, and learn about this sealant.

2) I sand vigorously. About 5% of the neck takes the dye.

3) I have to rinse and repeat this process about ten times...not kidding...until I sanded and reapplied dye where I got 100% coverage.

It was a PITA, but it was a labor of love and came out the way I wanted. I used Honey Maple powdered dye diluted more weakly (less water added to the powder) to make it darker than manufacturer instructions.

It's not a project I would steer you away from. It's not complicated or difficult to do. It's just a bit more labor intensive than I expected.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017

17. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charleston, SC
    The whole point of this thread is that the OP has a Telecaster. That is a good thing. Love Sea Foam Green, too.

richey88 likes this.

18. logans_tele

logans_tele TDPRI Member

Oct 12, 2015
    Tulsa, OK
    I just got one delivered yesterday for my daughter to begin learning on. Overall, for the price I feel its excellent. It could use some fretwork to smooth those edges out and the "finish" on the neck feels like no finish at all so I need to figure out a way to handle that. It's a great little guitar and definitely looks fantastic.

19. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    It's satin, so it's definitely a finish. You were probably expecting something glossier, I guess, and maybe darker.

As far as color goes, maple is maple, although there are varieties of darker, figured maple. But as a general rule, regular maple is gonna be very light. They don't finish it to make it darker.

20. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Thanks for this!! Just what I needed to hear. may add my mint pickguard and enjoy for a while. Great info about the sealant!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.