Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Squire 72 thinline saddles?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by jcpec, Nov 6, 2014.

1. jcpec

jcpec TDPRI Member

Feb 23, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Just pulled the trigger on a 72 thinline. I am going to be installing a bone nut, cts pots/ three way switch and caps. I was wondering about the saddles. I saw today the Gfs has titanium saddles, has anyone tried these on the 72 thinline? Do any of you have any other upgrade/ mod ideas? For the moment I'm keeping the p/u's stock.

Thanks

2. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Meister

Mar 16, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    I installed a Gotoh GTC102 bridge, dropped right on and was an improvement over stock IMO.
    I upgraded the switch (Oak Grigsby 3 way) and pots/cap (CTS 500K, Orange drop .022) but I left everything else as is. The higher value pots brought out a little more highs, but the audio taper is shorter. I'll probably experiment more with wiring, maybe the 1 Meg pots that Fender installed with the original WRHB. A new nut is a possibility too, bone or Tusq, I like both.

3. jcpec

jcpec TDPRI Member

Feb 23, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Zippofan, thanks for your response. I read that the gotoh bridge you got has a brass plate, any idea what kind of metal is used on the stock bridge?

4. jcpec

jcpec TDPRI Member

Feb 23, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Also I'd love to see if anyone has used the titanium saddles from Gfs ?

5. TimmyV

TimmyV Tele-Meister

Aug 11, 2014
    Ohio

I didn't know they had titanium saddles but I have used their stainless steel saddles. They are a big improvement over the stock saddles and a slight improvement over the bent steel saddles. Adds more sustain and chime . My opinion though would be to replace it with a brass three saddle bridge.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014

6. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jun 14, 2010
    mojave desert
    My thin line is a little thin sounding (pun not intended), even with SD quarter pounder pickups. The Glendale cold rolled steel saddles are the best so far for this one.

7. bignote

bignote Tele-Meister

Aug 10, 2009
    Okinawa, Japan
    Highwood Saddles are the way and the light. Try em' you won't regret it. I have a 72' thin line and these saddles are perfect for it.

8. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Meister

Mar 16, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    I used the GFS steel saddles on my MP Thinline P90 to replace the stock bent steel. Titanium makes great watch cases (Citizen, Seiko etc), but I've never heard a guitar with 'em. I'd like to try them some day.

9. jcpec

jcpec TDPRI Member

Feb 23, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Thanks all for responding! I was wondering what / how the stock bridge base plate is made? Is it cast metal? Steel or brass? Also I've seen gotoh recommended as a replacement for the stock bridge. There are 2 versions a chrome plated brass or steel. Which might be preferable and why?

10. Marcel

Marcel TDPRI Member

Feb 13, 2007
    The Netherlands

11. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.