Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Squier vs Fender - need help with my prejudice!

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by VerySlowHand, Sep 8, 2017.

1. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

Jan 13, 2011
    Southcentral Pa
    My old STL 50 is on loan to a friend in NY. I put Squier Standard pups in it and he loves it! He's played a LOT of guitars but says this is his #1 for the music he's played/recorded lately. Any guitar can be good with a setup and decent pickups.

savofenno likes this.

2. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    1) I'm pretty sure it's not just the "shiny and new" thing you felt, the biggest difference you heard was probably the fantastic Blues Junior III. You should have played any of your own guitars through it!
    2) logo envy is no problem, prejudice against the Squier brand is probably what Ira7 was talking about (if not: sorry for putting words in your mouth). And I agree with him. Younger people usually don't have that prejudice. That makes me (44) feel young again... ;)

Those Squier Standard pups do sound so sweet.... :)

3. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Holic

Jan 15, 2013
    Heart O' Dixie
    Just because its a comparable product at less cost, is no reason to assume Squiers are superior. Give Fender and the MIM's a chance I say! ;)

savofenno likes this.

4. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    You're probably right about the Blues Junior, it has an amazing clean tone but even the fender fit and finish made me want the guitar plugging and playing was just a super thick and irresistible frosting. I would find it amusing trying to describe my main axe to the salesman, some kind of mutated strat. It's worth mentioning that I wasn't always unprejudiced when I bought my MIM strat I tried a Squier CV strat. Interesting thing was that the Squier was I preferred the body contours which were deeper, it looked better (Both were LBP but the squier looked more like a metal flake finish and the headstock matched!) and I preferred the pickups in the squier, both had comfortable necks yet I spent just under double on the Fender. :confused:o_O:(:cry: I don't think about that purchase much anymore but looking back it was a bad move on my part for letting the fender label buy my GAS, I probably needed that experience to realise how good squiers and it's not all about labels it's about quality. I still like the MIM standard line though....

Maybe we do get bad logo envy but it hasn't been able to manifest for 30 years so maybe we're more easily cured. ;)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    nicod98 likes this.

5. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Meister

I have big hands, but I thought it was only the Classic Vibes and Affinities that have smaller nuts (not sure if the unintentional innuendo translates across the pond... no body-shaming intended!)

6. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Holic

Aug 29, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    Once I put a 4-way switch and changed out the bridge pup, aside from the skinny neck, my Classic Vibe BSB was every bit the guitar as my Baja. Squire makes some nice stuff, nowadays.

7. Garruchal

Garruchal TDPRI Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Seattle
    One thing that has become abundantly clear to me after years of gigging: almost nobody in the audience cares where your guitar comes from. They don't even know what style of guitar it is. If anything, they may react to the color of the guitar. My wife thinks that my Squier thinline is my best looking guitar, but I'm pretty sure that is because of the pearloid pickguard. On a related note: nobody can see your amp either.
    I keep a Squier Affinity Tele at my mother-in-law's house in Mississippi (got it for under $100; it plays pretty darn well; luck of the draw). I thought that I'd get some flack from blues-conscious Mississippians. Not a hint of it. They play whatever they have handy and don't seem to care much about the decal.
    I play in theater productions, and when I am really visible on stage I get pretty specific with my guitars because we go for a specific atmosphere. Currently I am playing a surf green Gretsch 5448 because the whole set is surf-green and I needed humbuckers. I get comments from the audience about how well the color matches. Nobody mentioned that it is a Gretsch.

savofenno likes this.

8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Arriving late to the thread, but, here's my understanding of the Squier brand we know and have feelings about.
    When Squiers hit the market in (pretty sure) the '80s, Fender was not doing too well.
    The first Squiers were the first "Fender guitars" made outside of the US, where Fender paid another guitar company to make Fender copies, which was at the time a big competition for Fender.
    The first Squiers were made in Japan, and were startlingly kind of better than what Fender was making in the US.

My first Squier was an early 80s Strat I bought as a floor demo at Mannys in NYC. It had holes for a Roland synth pickup, because they had used it as their synth demo guitar for a few years.
    Shortly after I bought the MIJ Squier, the MIJ Fenders showed up.
    I brought my Squier in and compared it to a new MIJ Fender Strat on the rack, and found them to be pretty much identical in every detail, without taking them apart to compare pickups and wiring.
    The simply switched the decal from Squier to Fender.

Where other guitar companies seem happy to build all price level guitars, Fender, Gibson and Martin seem to have an issue with this, so we have Squier, Epi and Marquis for the cheaper models. (Does Martin still offer the Marquis line?)

Basically a $200 Yamaha or Ibanez is a Yamaha of Ibanez just as a $200 Squier is a Fender.
    Don't worry about the name on the headstock, buy the guitar you like at the price you're willing to pay.

The bigger issue i see is players wanting a brand new guitar when they are on a limited budget.
    If you have $300 and want the best guitar your money can buy, choose from the used options to get the most guitar for your dollar.
    I can certainly understand wanting to see "Fender" on the headstock.
    I have trouble understanding why anyone would buy a brand new guitar unless there were no used examples of the model available.

See how our thinking is as much the problem as the product?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    savofenno likes this.

9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    When a Chinese company decides to make a top quality Chinese instrument, they can do that just fine.
    When an American brand contracts with a Chinese company to build a cheap version of a more expensive product, it will probably be built a little differently.
    They can build to any price point, just like we can.
    But their cheap product will be more profitable or better than than our cheap product.

10. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Meister

The worrying thing is that in many cases the Chinese are beginning to build more profitably AND better than 'home made' products.

telemnemonics likes this.

11. cyclopean

cyclopean Tele-Afflicted

Aug 14, 2009
    innsmouth, MA
    what's that blue guitar?

12. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    A strat copy I did some work on, ;) it was a horrid unplayable thing and I decided I wanted to design a guitar. Borrowed bandsaw and a lot of rasping and sanding later you get this,

[​IMG]

(I love looking at this picture it reminds me of how nice it used to look)

and then you decide it's worth dropping in some really nice stuff like a fender bridge, a new neck, locking tuners, some nice pickups and a mad wiring scheme that'd you expect to find in a Tiesco. The switches and the cavities don't match up because over the past few years I've messed around trying to find the ideal switch layout. At first I had 3 slide switches and all push-pull pots, I didn't like push-pull pots (they feel tacky), next tried mini toggles but they get hit with my picking hand, I tried different positions taking a chisel to the body every time I shuffled them until I saw some big white rocker switches and just thought that would be cool and would be lower profile and out of the way. I called it a Ratocaster but I do usually refer to it as my blue guitar/thing.

One day I would really like to make another body for that guitar out of a prettier wood that isn't as soft as brie, with a better woodworking and a better trans blue finish.

13. DougM

DougM Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I wanted a rosewood board Tele and went to my local Fender dealer to look at what they had. They had two- an American Special in LPB and a Squier CVC in three tone sunburst. The American was prettier, but the Squier played just as well, and I liked the sound of the vintage spec pickups in the Squier better than the TX Specials in the US one. So, I bought the Squier, and have never regretted it. It's better than any squire Strat I've ever owned.

14. Lonn

Lonn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2007
    Indiana
    I'm not going to read the whole thread because I've read this type of thread a hundred times before. If you can afford the Fender without taking away from your family, get it. If a Squier is what you can afford, get it. For many years now the higher end Squiers are gig worthy guitars and as good as most of us will ever "need".

15. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2009
    Cologne, Germany
    My summary of 40 years playing:

- i had dozens of amps and guitars in the las 40 years (from cheap to boutique)

Resume:
    i play a PEAVEY Bandit amp and Squier Guitars.

So my tip for you: Squier Vintage Modified 72

:

16. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Meister

Mar 16, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    I love my Squiers and Fenders equally. When I first started playing again I could only afford a Squier, and since then I have a couple that just sound and play every bit as good as I've ever played, including our band's guitarist vintage Fenders.
    My VM 72 Thinline is just a joy, but the real surprise is the Squier '51 (second release string through).
    I was playing the '51 last night and just can't believe how good it feels, I love that neck!

17. chemobrain

chemobrain Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    What working musicians use Squire guitars how many players are using Squiers on this site. I don't know about you but I don't have the facility to really make a difference with custom shop American made high-end well-advertised creations with all the trimmings.
    my biggest asset is being able to honestly evaluate my skills.

18. chemobrain

chemobrain Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    oh, speaking of "BUDGET" price ranged guitars (not the Ferrari or Lamborghinis of the guitar world.)
    I believe that a competent luthier for a reasonable price can breathe life into dog-awful git-boxes.
    And the importat question ...Can this instrument become a playable instrument?
    If the answer is yes, let the luthier work his magic. and.... suffering from a warped twisted neck, terrible frets, you can always use it for slide playing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.