Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Squier vs Fender - need help with my prejudice!

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by VerySlowHand, Sep 8, 2017.

1. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Meister

Hey guys... don't take things so seriously... I was only poking fun at myself. I'm not that weird, honest. :lol:

Asmith and nicod98 like this.

2. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    I am serious about that Squier logo... somebody offered a nice VM '72 custom to me once, with the logo removed. The seller was prepared to go pretty low pricewise to get rid of it (he was moving abroad). The guitar was fine, sounded great and all, but it felt so wrong, that I didn't buy it. A few months later I got one with the logo, and I'm still very happy with it.

Hell, writing this down makes me realize it: I'm a Squier snob. :)

VerySlowHand and Asmith like this.

3. cyberglad

cyberglad TDPRI Member

Oct 14, 2016
    Morges, Switzerland
    Classic Vibe is lovely for the price, quite on the same level as mex but with nice yellow vintage maple neck

4. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

Dec 24, 2015
    Birmingham, AL
    I used to thumb my nose at Squiers. Probably due to the nightmarish ones that I played in music stores when I was young. I've had a few good experiences with them over the past 5 years, and then a guitar that I picked up and went, damn, this is nice! Not just nice for the price, but actually a very nice guitar. Super cheap and very nice check off my boxes more than a logo does. My snobbery faded away. Guitars are just chunks of cut up wood and pieces of metal screwed and glued together with some electronics in there. That's the reality. The logo has no bearing on the feel or the sound.

backporchmusic and savofenno like this.

5. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Do what I did. Buy a Squier, sand off the decal, and replace it with a Fender decal.

6. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode TDPRI Member

May 26, 2017
    Philadelphia
    I'm happier with my $400 Squier Jazzmaster than I am with my $800 Fender MIM 50s Classic Series strat.

7. Rookery

Rookery TDPRI Member

Jan 5, 2017
    England
    Hi Nicod, We had a discussion 2/3 months ago when I was looking for my 1st Tele style. I considered a HB30 or HB52 but was put off by the perceived poor assembly record. I was suggesting that if they spent a few more £ on QC in the factory, it would be worth it as they would get fewer returns and better sales. I felt and still do feel that any Squier above an Affinity is overpriced. In the end, I bought an SX STL50 and it's absolutely brilliant. HB's loss, don't you think.

8. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Holic Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 17, 2008
    omaha
    squier makes some killer guitars for so little money. There is a silver sparkle affinity tele at my local guitar shop that just rings like a bell. I kind of want it...I do.

Every guitar is different, and you just have to have faith that when you play it, you know if you like it or not. If there is any doubt, then you know that it's not.

actually I have another theory that any guitar you put a couple of 10 hours weeks into playing (within reason) I tend to like by the end of the second week.

Buy what you want and what you can afford. cheap modern guitars are not an investment.

9. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    Well, I have a bad track record with HB. Two, and neither of them was worth even half the value of a Squier Affinity (TE-30 and TE-70). Bad quality varnish on neck of TE-30, knot in the neck of the TE-70 which caused warping, and I'm not even touching the quality of the electronics, frets and hardware here. (the TE-30 doesn't cost half the Affinity's price, so that's OK, but the TE-70 was a real letdown). HB put me off of any tele not made by or for Fender/Squier. So that's why I haven't bought any SX tele. I have 20+ telecasters, so I have pretty much all sounds/vibes covered, and therefore I don't need it. I got me a HB because I wanted a guitar I could leave in my car, but in the end, an old Squier with a few chips of here and there got the privilege to travel with me, anywhere I go.

A lot of people say Squier has bad QC, well let them check out HB for a while, then they will notice how "good" QC on Squiers (even the cheaper ones) actually is. But you're right: if HB added the equivalent of 10 euros or dollars (not that much of a difference) for QC on the selling price for each guitar that was sent over to Europe, there would probably hardly be any QC-problems. I'm convinced now shipping and import taxes from the East Asia factories to Europe is a larger part of the price than QC (I have been responsible for shipping wood from Malaysia to Europe about 20 years ago in a previous job). The problem is not that QC is impossible in Asia, it is that Thomann (that sells HB) is unwilling to pay for it.

The Affinity is miles above the HB quality-wise (although some here might not agree with me: this is a forum, and I'm entitled to my own opinion :)). I like the Affinity (OK, I do some minor upgrades on them, like a wider spaced nut and I've done pickup upgrades on them in the past. I don't know about the more recent pickups on the new colours, because I don't have any newer Affinity to play with).

I find the Affinity to be priced more or less right. (they should be sold for 200 euros maximum, and now it's more like 215-220). Higher end models are better, most of them are a lot better, in some aspects (not all) challenging Fender branded ones (again, this is my opinion). Are they overpriced? Profit margins are probably a little bigger, but that's the free market doing its play. On the other hand, making things 50% better usually cost 80% more.

I think there should be less overlap between the price ranges of the higher end Squiers and the Lower end Fenders, but not by make Fender-branded guitars more expensive. A few years ago a MIM could be bought over here for 500 euros, now it's at least 20-25% more. Quality has not gone up, neither has the value of the USD, so what happened? Again, the free market system. Fender convinces us how good theirs MIM guitars are and rise their prices, and we buy it (in more meanings than one).

Another proof of the "free market" is the price setting of the Squier CV and Fender MP series. They are made in the same factory, by the same workers, and are very similar in quality (to me: exactly the same). Prices differ, because the MP has a "Fender" decal and should be perceived as better than the sister guitar with the "Squier" decal.

I suppose now I can come off of my soap box... :D

Edit: typo

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017

10. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    the modern player series shows that squier are no longer the ok budget guitars. If fender us putting their stamp on guitars made in the same factory as some of their squires are stage worthy assuming the fenders are! (and they are ;))

11. Rookery

Rookery TDPRI Member

Jan 5, 2017
    England
    Hello again Nicod, I know where you're coming from. In my view, Squiers these days are well made and buying one isn't the gamble it may have been once. For my money the Bullets and Affinities are about right with enough differentiation between them with the Standard being too high (and with so few colour choices). Beyond them, you're into £300 - £400 territory and beginning to overlap the Chinese made Fender Modern Player. Yes it's a beautiful guitar but is it worth more than double an Affinity or nearly double that of a Standard. FWIW, I saw a new Squier Bullet HS Tele in Orange with black hardware 9 months ago for about £120 and have regretted not buying it ever since.

nicod98 likes this.

12. cyclopean

cyclopean Tele-Afflicted

Aug 14, 2009
    innsmouth, MA
    i saw the chameleons on saturday and their guitarist was killing it with a squier jazzmaster.

13. ToneGrail

ToneGrail Tele-Meister

Nov 19, 2010
    Baltimore
    Having small hands, I actually prefer the Squiers due to their smaller necks.

14. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Do you guys think the Fender versus Squier thing is MORE of a thing for us older guys, and by older, I mean guys even 20 years younger than me. Up to, say, 40?

I can't imagine that younger kids in their 20s would think about this twice, considering how great the Squiers are. Like, they don't suffer from the same logo envy that my generation does, right?

I would hope not.

15. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    The difference in quality between Squier and Fender is nowhere near as drastic as it is between Epiphone and Gibson.

16. Asmith

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    On behalf of all of those in their 20s, :D I do get a little logo envy. I've owned one fender (a Mex Strat) but had to sell it a year ago when "I was between jobs", I miss having a fender and when I try gear out in store I usually end up with some fender of some description in my hands. Never been disappointed, most recently it was a mexican tele into a blues junior III, I have to remind myself that I only love it more because it's shiny and new.

I've had the strat equivalent for over a year (in the same colour as well :eek:) and if I remember correctly I preferred my upgraded VM Squier tele, hence why the strat went. So I guess I've got some logo envy but I remind myself I already have some pretty good guitars that I would compare to ones which cost x2 as much.

nicod98, 3-Chord-Genius and Ira7 like this.

17. Asmith

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    Yeah Gibson have been putting out some epic stuff these past few years, #cough# had to offer replacement nuts for their 2015 brass nut models #cough#.

Moving on, I like epiphone stuff, granted I've owned the one epiphone but it was a <£300 model (cheaper than a CV at the time) and I have to say that was a great playing guitar. Maybe you'd want to swap the pickups out but I think I've done that with nearly every guitar I've owned, I've also played a friends riviera (dual mini humbucker model) and I love that guitar, if he ever sells it I think it will end up with me. ;)

Maybe I should try some more and I might find a dud

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017

18. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    So logo envy lives on, regardless of generation.

19. Asmith

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    Well who can completely rid of it when so many forum members show off their Guitar por.... I mean vintage gear. Basically, I blame you guys ;)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017

20. Rookery

Rookery TDPRI Member

Jan 5, 2017
    England
    I always hankered after a 'real Fender' but could never justify the extra expense and I've managed to get along with perfectly adequate Squier Affinities. However, it's moved the other way of late and I'm currently the very proud owner of the SX STL50 Tele in my avatar. It's a fabulous guitar for not much more than half the cost of an affinity, so good I'm seriously considering buying a new SX Swamp Ash Strat. Yes of course I would still consider a Squier but it would have to be a great deal.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.